Our Club is changing

southaustralianblue said:
I think this idea that there is massive city support overseas is not accurate in my experience. I recently came back from 2 months working in vietnam where the locals are all obsessive prem watchers, and did not see a single city shirt amongst a sea of rags, dippers, and cheslski shirts. I spoke to a large number of people in work and social situations and would always raise football as an icebreaker. Not a single city fan. Didn't even see any knockoff shirts in the markets.

Where i now live in south australia, everyone immediately assumes that as I am from mcr that I am a rag, and few have heard of city at all. Another recent experience was that I forgot my god daughters birthday last week and wanted to buy her a city shirt. I normally buy city gear on line but I ventured out into the main sports store in adelaide. Miles of the other top 4, but no city shirts. I visited 4 different shops and drew a blank at each.

We have a long way to go before we even make a dent on the potential overseas support. I think there is some increase in o/s support from the countries where we have signed players but I dont see much evidence of us being on the cusp of world domination

If people haven't heard of us by now then they don't watch the Premiership or The Champions League so they are probably not even footy fans or don't own a TV. Ridiculous.

I'll never quite accept them as fans as the majority would just move on if our results don't please them, but at the end of the day, with FFP, the more money we make the more we can spend on players, youth and facilities, so the more successful we can become, and at a quicker rate.

so,it looks like a few on here believe that the only true blues are the ones who were ther when we were shite and at the lowest of the low? What a pathetic childish argument...
So in that case Sheikh Mansour had best sell up....Isn't he a newer fan.?

All blues young and old,black and white,etc etc are welcome at our club.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
so,it looks like a few on here believe that the only true blues are the ones who were ther when we were shite and at the lowest of the low? What a pathetic childish argument...

Agreed, welcome them all. Better than all those loyal Blues who can't be arsed going to cup ties until the final.

Nail on head SHB, although some some skulls are so thick on here, they wouldn't even realise if a JCB gave them a lobotomy!

Not all blues were born on the centre spot at Maine road, not even me! ;)

machiavellian said:
I'd suggest anyone who supported us through the thin and thinner is wholly entitled to feel some resentment towards someone who jumps on the bandwagon and proclaims their love for City now that we're deemed fashionable.

I know I do, and I'd also suggest that anyone publicly welcoming such people is doing so through gritted teeth, in the reluctant acceptance that it's simply part and parcel of the modern game.

I refuse to take anyone seriously who claims that that resentment isn't applicable to them. At least I'm sincere.

Actually though I totally disagree with you I am quite saddened that you feel this way.
I am 51 and been following our beloved blues 'thru' thin and thinner' since 71.
I LOVE the thought that our fan-base is growing and seeing the 'odd' shirt suddenly poppin up here and there. AND I am doing my damnedest to get others interested, whatever race, age, color or creed....except for Terry Christian!

bluemoon risin' said:

Nail on head SHB, although some some skulls are so thick on here, they wouldn't even realise if a JCB gave them a lobotomy!

Not all blues were born on the centre spot at Maine road, not even me! ;)

I just dont get it-I'm a bigger blue because I went to Chesterfield blah blah frigging blah...Best not take my 66yr old mum again...always been a blue but due to illness has NEVER been before this season. Seeing her do the Poznan and singing in the South Stand gives me a buzz. It reminds me of the fans who think none season card holders aren't allowed to sit in season ticket holders seats who couldn't be arsed joining the cup scheme etc etc...All blues are equal in my eyes whether you have not missed a game for 40 yrs home or away or a new comer...

Surely it goes with the territory if we want a bigger stadium that'll be filled every week.
What I don't want to see is City touted as an add-on to peoples mini-breaks when they visit the city at the exclusion of local fans.

I think we're a long way from getting "glory hunters" on board as yet.

I think our higher profile is attracting new fans overseas who previously had no particular allegiance and - as was said by an earlier poster are sick of the usual suspects (rags, bin dippers etc,etc).

Just can't be doing with glory boy fans - they're sad, mindless individuals who just follow the crowds like lost sheep.

I live in Bristol and everytime I pass some saddo in a rags shirt I make a loud baaing noise like a sheep!

Sad I know, but true - but it always makes me feel better even if I get some strange looks!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.