our european support

Blue Magpie said:
Some fair comments fellas but just to try and give you a balanced view of why attendances may be disappointing, I shall tell you of my own circumstances as they may be reasonably common - they certainly are amongst my mates.

My own 'excuse' is that I have a wife, 3 young children and a demanding work life which means that whilst I attend every home league game on my season ticket, I get an additional unofficial half dozen or so 'passes' a season from the good lady to do 'other games' including away games and earlier round home cup games. So I choose to do the likes of Sunderland away, am going to Juventus away and for instance haven't missed a derby at the swamp since the mid eighties. As soon as we progress to the later stages of any cup competition the same 'unspoken' house rules say that these games become quasi league games and don't count towards the half dozen allowance! So to be fair to the missus (and kids) I just can't justify going to EVERY game - especially the Europa where there are half a dozen games in the competition at home before it really hots up. For future reference, ALL Champions League games would be considered 'core' fixtures!

I know it's poor fellas and some of you younger guys in particular might not understand it at all but it's just called having responsibilities in life and trying to be fair to the family....and not falling out with the Mrs!

PS And before anyone patronises me! I have had a season ticket for 29 years in which time I have missed no more than a handful of league games through illness alone AND have visited close on 50 away grounds now (mainly in my youth) watching the Blues!

I love reading stuff like this just to comfort myself that i am not on my own. I have 3 kids under 5 and a twat of a job hours wise, plus the wife has her own career. I have not missed a home game for a long time inc all cups but getting to aways inc europe is a no go and something i havent done a great deal of anyway. However i don't understand why we are only getting 25k of our own fans for a home game. For the first time i was a bit pissed off with the turnout last night. We got 30k+ to go and watch the likes of Pollock and Bradbury FFS and now we have been given this chance by the Sheikh to watch these amazing players...i would feel so guilty if i didnt go to a home game after all they have done. Thats just me though and not blaming anyone as times are hard i know. Cant wait to get the kids season tickets though.

BlueBoy85 said:
ste.sully said:
There is a thing in life called money you know
I'm sorry ste but £50 for 3 euro games is a a bargain?? No excuse for turning your nose up at that?

For euro games there should defo be a different system in placee to reward those people who go to the euro games to get priority for a potential final ticket. No shows have shown no 'loyalty' and shouldn't be able to get one?

Yes it was a bargain but what would you do - Feed your kids and pay your bills or go to the match and before you say anything i was there and paid for the 3 matches for me and my son - Left me totally skint afterwards.
So don't start calling your own fans who probably would love to be there but have priorities that are far higher than a football match.

If we hadnt qualified for the europa league everybody would have moaned about it, yet a lot of those supporters dont go to the games so there not really missing much are they.

Maine Rd said:
Blue Magpie said:
Some fair comments fellas but just to try and give you a balanced view of why attendances may be disappointing, I shall tell you of my own circumstances as they may be reasonably common - they certainly are amongst my mates.

My own 'excuse' is that I have a wife, 3 young children and a demanding work life which means that whilst I attend every home league game on my season ticket, I get an additional unofficial half dozen or so 'passes' a season from the good lady to do 'other games' including away games and earlier round home cup games. So I choose to do the likes of Sunderland away, am going to Juventus away and for instance haven't missed a derby at the swamp since the mid eighties. As soon as we progress to the later stages of any cup competition the same 'unspoken' house rules say that these games become quasi league games and don't count towards the half dozen allowance! So to be fair to the missus (and kids) I just can't justify going to EVERY game - especially the Europa where there are half a dozen games in the competition at home before it really hots up. For future reference, ALL Champions League games would be considered 'core' fixtures!

I know it's poor fellas and some of you younger guys in particular might not understand it at all but it's just called having responsibilities in life and trying to be fair to the family....and not falling out with the Mrs!

PS And before anyone patronises me! I have had a season ticket for 29 years in which time I have missed no more than a handful of league games through illness alone AND have visited close on 50 away grounds now (mainly in my youth) watching the Blues!

I love reading stuff like this just to comfort myself that i am not on my own. I have 3 kids under 5 and a twat of a job hours wise, plus the wife has her own career. I have not missed a home game for a long time inc all cups but getting to aways inc europe is a no go and something i havent done a great deal of anyway. However i don't understand why we are only getting 25k of our own fans for a home game. For the first time i was a bit pissed off with the turnout last night. We got 30k+ to go and watch the likes of Pollock and Bradbury FFS and now we have been given this chance by the Sheikh to watch these amazing players...i would feel so guilty if i didnt go to a home game after all they have done. Thats just me though and not blaming anyone as times are hard i know. Cant wait to get the kids season tickets though.

So you could have found £95 at the drop of a hat for you and your kids and only be given a 1 or 2 weeks to take advantage of the offer.

mancitytmdanttom said:
Maine Rd said:

So you could have found £95 at the drop of a hat for you and your kids and only be given a 1 or 2 weeks to take advantage of the offer.

Sorry fella, you've lost me?

People shouldn't have to justify going to games. It doesn't make you any better going to more games than the next guy. When I was in my late teens/early 20's I went to most away games as well as every home game. Then I met the wife, got a mortgage and had kids. I can imagine my wifes reaction to me saying I'm going to Swindon on New Years Eve!

Maine Rd said:
mancitytmdanttom said:

Everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon of having a go at the no shows last night - The point i was making was that i paid for the 3 matches but everybodys finances are not the same.
As a previous poster has stated during the 70's + 80's i too went to majority of away games (Mainly 80's when i was old enough) and all home games but priorities change plus with the recession people do not have the spare cash for luxuries.

mcfc1996 said:
People shouldn't have to justify going to games. It doesn't make you any better going to more games than the next guy. When I was in my late teens/early 20's I went to most away games as well as every home game. Then I met the wife, got a mortgage and had kids. I can imagine my wifes reaction to me saying I'm going to Swindon on New Years Eve!

This

mancitytmdanttom said:
Maine Rd said:

Everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon of having a go at the no shows last night - The point i was making was that i paid for the 3 matches but everybodys finances are not the same.
As a previous poster has stated during the 70's + 80's i too went to majority of away games (Mainly 80's when i was old enough) and all home games but priorities change plus with the recession people do not have the spare cash for luxuries.

I think i said that didnt i? Perhaps i shouldnt have said i was pissed off, it was just a bit of disappointment but i did say i understood that times are hard. £50 for 3 games is a bargain though and the club are doing a great job in my opinion. I am sure we will get full houses for the later rounds if we get through the group.

I bet a lot of these fans who plead poverty for the group games will suddenly find money for travel , accomadation, tickets , beer and food if we get to Dublin?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.