Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

The reason we were exposed in the full back area's last season was because we were playing a 4-2-4 formation with 2 attacking center mids full back's were throughly exposed! Look at zabba 1 of the finest full backs in world football really struggled last season! There aint any left back out there that would have done any better in that set up! Both full backs will thrive next season in a much more balanced team with protection in front of them! I expect kolarov to be 1 of the players of the season in our new set up!

Not signing a LB is nothing short of scandalous in my honest opinion. It's been a weakness for three seasons now. We have no natural LW and we have a midfield that is often overrun under Pellegrini because of the two man midfield. Our fullbacks push up and we are countered typically on that side. Silva normally drifts in and we see a threat of goal every time.

Its pretty ridiculous that it's been left for so long. We were in for Shaw last season until his price went silky so it's clearly an agenda we have jotted down. Angelino is a gem but he's two years away minimum. Imo we need a LB now and I'd phase Kolarov out as we don't really need his attacking rowess anymore, more so a defensive focused Clichy. If we replace Kolarov then Angelino could replace Clichy.

Again, I repeat a point that's falling on deaf ears but I really do believe Pogba to be way overpriced and nonessential. Give me a top LB and atop CDM any day. We could shore up the midfield and LB, we could centralize Merlin and Nasri and actually get the best out of them and better balanace the side. Sterling on the left, De Bruyne on the right. Pogba at 70m is ludicrously overpriced, absolute daylight robbery and Juventus must be wearing masks when they deal with us and have shotguns in their hands. It pains me to see us leveraging everything in midfield when LB is so blatantly weak. We have two good LBs, one defensively and one attacking, but neither are great LBs. Zabaleta is a great, he's a fucking savage and we need as similar as possible on the other side.

Fair enough it's your opinion.
The fact the people who matter at city have spent millions on other positions and not left back indicates they don't think it's 'scandalous' which i agree with.....who/whats in front of full backs reflects alot on how good they are percieved to be. There's an awful lot of 'grass is always greener' people on here who tend to follow each other from scapegoat to scapegoat.
JMO that Kolarov is far better than Clichy...and i think we COULD sell him quickly,as there would not be a shortage of takers... for a reason. (in my location obviously) my mates/work colleagues support a wide range of teams and they nearly all say they would take Kolarov.The only ones who 100% agree they wouldn't is the Chelsea fans...but i guess thats understandable.

I mean our current left back options won't prove to be detrimental to a title challenge. They are both OK players.
I disagree, Kolarov presents a major liability at the back a lot of the time (last season he was woeful), while Clichy is prone to having the odd nightmare game. If the plan at the end of the season was to bring a new left back in, its concerning as to why that objective has changed (if true).

The 'upgrades' are not available.

Agree I can't name many good full backs I've seen that aren't already tied down to the big clubs. I could name young guys I've heard about but couldn't vouch for them.

Who really out there is an upgrade? Kolarov could easily score 5 or more a season and set up the same! Anyway it would be interesting to see who you think we should replace them with?

Looks like we will be adopting the we will score more than you again this season.

Neither Kolorov or Clichy are good enough for me but I did think kolorov did ok at the end of last season.

Right back was as big a problem last season. Hopefully Zab will return to form.

A few myths to dispel.

1 - our left backs aren't good enough. As much as I am loathe to resort to stats, but Clichy was whoscored's best rated left back for the league last season. Kolarov also is one of the leagues better attacking left backs. Between the two of them we're fine.

2 - Silva doesn't defend. He does. In spades. In fact he's one of the most niggliest dirty little players on our team. He's always ready to commit the fouls to stop play to allow our full backs to return from advanced positions. He is a gem in this regard, and this side of his game is often overlooked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.