Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

Both LBs we have would walk into most of the Premier League first elevens, & let's be fair which other teams LB would we take ahead of them? Fatty Shaw! however both ours also have faults, Clichy had a few nightmare moments last season, & can be a little slow to link up with the attack but balanced it with some outstanding performances, AK has always been more of a wing back for me, great option on the counter or when attacking a little suspect in defence. I'm sure there was no smoke without fire with the Danny Rose rumours, though probably only feasible if AK moved on, when Edin goes maybe he will leave as well. Also as others have noted Angelino is coming up thick and fast, back in November after playing first team football (whilst in a Micky mouse league) alongside some quality players in front of big crowds, don't be surprised to see him on the bench after Xmas a lot more if his loan goes well.

Baines. No brainer for me. English, £10 mil, 3 year contract, Angelino ready in take over in two years!!

A few myths to dispel.

1 - our left backs aren't good enough. As much as I am loathe to resort to stats, but Clichy was whoscored's best rated left back for the league last season. Kolarov also is one of the leagues better attacking left backs. Between the two of them we're fine.

2 - Silva doesn't defend. He does. In spades. In fact he's one of the most niggliest dirty little players on our team. He's always ready to commit the fouls to stop play to allow our full backs to return from advanced positions. He is a gem in this regard, and this side of his game is often overlooked.
Stop with the talking sense now

Baines. No brainer for me. English, £10 mil, 3 year contract, Angelino ready in take over in two years!!
Bains isn't good enough at the highest level as proven in an England shirt decent prem player but no better than Kolorov or Clichy

Give it 12months indeed maybe less and Angelino might get a shout, especially when loan at NYCFC finishes, plus the bonus he is U21 so does not need to be listed in PL Squad I THINK !
I know Angelino is a top prospect but is he genuinely that close to being an elite European left back? Because that's the standard we have to be looking for.

This season we have prioritised Sterling Pogba and De Bruyne. We aren't fantastic at left back but I think we can survive another year with Kolarov and Clichy. I think next Summer we will get a new Right Back to replace Sagna and a new Left Back to replace Kolarov.
Absolutely agree. If we try and change too many in the same period, that could create rather than solve problems.

We have the perfect left back at our club already. It's just a shame it's split into two different players. Clichy's pace, and defensive attributes, especially 1v1 are top class, there's nothing out there that's much better it's just a shame he literally freezes when we gets beyond halfway line. He's like an asda shopping trolley, as soon as he goes beyond the halfway line the emergency breaks kick in and he's more of a hindrance than anything. It's a weak area that needs improving but it's a position that constantly gets put to the back of the queue every window as we've got 2 very good players in that area for now. I think it could have something to do with a lack of options. All the players we've been linked with in the press are decent and have potential but none of them really stand out as a major upgrade. If there was the next Ashley Cole breaking through somewhere i'm sure we'd make that position a priority.

A few myths to dispel.

1 - our left backs aren't good enough. As much as I am loathe to resort to stats, but Clichy was whoscored's best rated left back for the league last season. Kolarov also is one of the leagues better attacking left backs. Between the two of them we're fine.

2 - Silva doesn't defend. He does. In spades. In fact he's one of the most niggliest dirty little players on our team. He's always ready to commit the fouls to stop play to allow our full backs to return from advanced positions. He is a gem in this regard, and this side of his game is often overlooked.

The problem with both left backs is that they are inconsistent, Clichy was poor till about December/January. Kolarov when on form is solid going forward but is always a liability defensively, made even worse when you have either Silva or Nasri ahead of him who don't always defend well (Navas and Milner often defend well in comparison)

I think next summer we need a new left back who is significantly better than both and in both parts of the game. Admittedly I can't name a left back who could realistically come, I haven't watched enough of the likes of Alex Sandro, Kurzawa, Gaya etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.