Our PR department and the media

I see from his LinkedIn profile he has been with us 7 years. Prior to that short spells at Reading and Milton Keynes Dons. You seem well informed about the inner workings of the club PB, who ultimately would set the media strategy that this guy executes. Would that be Vicky, or higher?
Higher. Our media strategy is determined in Abu Dhabi by people like Simon Pearce. City is just a small (albeit very high profile) part of the direct and indirect promotion of the UAE as a global business hub and I'd guess that image is managed very tightly.

There is criticism of the UAE politically as it's essentially a feudal system with limited freedoms in some areas and has some human rights issues. They are very benevolent to their own citizens of course but, in return, those citizens are expected to accept the status quo and not question things like the lack of the democratic institutions - universal suffrage, a totally free press, the right to peaceful protest - that we take for granted. The press one must be difficult for them to deal with as they have no experience of dealing with a media culture that can effectively write whatever it wants as long as it stays within what little restraint the law provides. If people like Custis or McDonnell were writing for a UAE-based paper, their bullshit wouldn't be tolerated as taking the "right" line is far more important than attracting hits and clicks. But our media certainly doesn't work that way.

I know the club has attempted to influence the thinking of a few of the serious journalists and have had some success. But what to do about the others? This is pure speculation but my thoughts are that the ultimate aim is to protect the image of Abu Dhabi first and foremost. At the same time, the owners recognise that shit will get written about us one way or the other, no matter how passive or aggressive they are with the media. There's every chance that it could even get a lot worse if we start banning papers and/or journalists. But the worse downside is that getting heavy with the media risks unfavourable comparisons with the situation in Abu Dhabi around press freedom. Therefore the owners would rather swallow the insults here (although we're not as passive as some think we are) in order to insulate Abu Dhabi from criticism by these same media groups.

Higher. Our media strategy is determined in Abu Dhabi by people like Simon Pearce. City is just a small (albeit very high profile) part of the direct and indirect promotion of the UAE as a global business hub and I'd guess that image is managed very tightly.

There is criticism of the UAE politically as it's essentially a feudal system with limited freedoms in some areas and has some human rights issues. They are very benevolent to their own citizens of course but, in return, those citizens are expected to accept the status quo and not question things like the lack of the democratic institutions - universal suffrage, a totally free press, the right to peaceful protest - that we take for granted. The press one must be difficult for them to deal with as they have no experience of dealing with a media culture that can effectively write whatever it wants as long as it stays within what little restraint the law provides. If people like Custis or McDonnell were writing for a UAE-based paper, their bullshit wouldn't be tolerated as taking the "right" line is far more important than attracting hits and clicks. But our media certainly doesn't work that way.

I know the club has attempted to influence the thinking of a few of the serious journalists and have had some success. But what to do about the others? This is pure speculation but my thoughts are that the ultimate aim is to protect the image of Abu Dhabi first and foremost. At the same time, the owners recognise that shit will get written about us one way or the other, no matter how passive or aggressive they are with the media. There's every chance that it could even get a lot worse if we start banning papers and/or journalists. But the worse downside is that getting heavy with the media risks unfavourable comparisons with the situation in Abu Dhabi around press freedom. Therefore the owners would rather swallow the insults here (although we're not as passive as some think we are) in order to insulate Abu Dhabi from criticism by these same media groups.
A long and well written post - but guess and speculation are the key words.

Last edited:

Thanks. It may be speculation but it does ring true and would explain a great deal.

OK, so now are PR is terrible because it's in the best interests of International Human Rights and the freedom of the press to take it on the chin.
You know, as much as people, understandably, want everything to be absolutely wonderful and perfect at our Club, and if not it's because we planned it that way, sometimes a department or person may fall short - it's not as if we've not had the Ticket Office as an example.

Simon Heggie is the person who is responsible for City-specific media activity and he's more active than some think. Whether we like it or not we (a) can't force anyone not to write crap about us that isn't defamatory and (b) are playing the long game, as frustrating as that may be.

Surely we can vet which scouse/rag mafioso we let in to commentate on live games at the Etihad? Why can't we insist one of ours is in there to even things up?
For the life of me I'll never get why we allow these pricks to jump around the commentators studio in delight when someone scores against us.

OK, so now are PR is terrible because it's in the best interests of International Human Rights and the freedom of the press to take it on the chin.
You know, as much as people, understandably, want everything to be absolutely wonderful and perfect at our Club, and if not it's because we planned it that way, sometimes a department or person may fall short - it's not as if we've not had the Ticket Office as an example.
I've expressed an opinion that I've thought about quite a lot and clearly it's gone in one ear and out of the other as far as you're concerned. Go back to your colouring book and leave this discussion to the adults.

And I don't think I need to take any opinion seriously from someone who doesn't know the difference between 'our' and 'are'.

Personally if we ended up with just 5 reporters in our pressers then fine. It is just not in my nature to turn a blind eye to gobshites talking nonsense about me and by extention, the club; and probably why i am not in the job :-D We could have an mma ring and as they turn up for the event pull the wankers to the side and chuck em in with a raging coked up blue :-D

Outside of the frustration it causes me, i do think we need to step back and tweak our tactics. Seriously now, is there anyone like Cooky around for the job, a bloke who has no qualms about telling the whole pack of reporters what their horoscope says for the day. It may not work but we have not tried it either and after 5 years of waiting for change i think we have given our current approach long enough. PB said they have no real grip on how to deal with free press so maybe time to send a monster to kill a monster?

Sounds very plausible to me. Almost funny if City helps to improve the image of Abu Dhabi by serving as a lightning conductor for bad PR :-)

Can't we hire one of these ex paper editors to do it, i highly doubt the lads they used to bollock daily would want to piss them off even though they don't work for them anymore, espesh if they know they are a savvy swine who will fuck them if they play games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.