Paranormal Experiences

Susan Blackmore is a prominent sceptic when it comes to the investigation of all psychic and paranormal phenomena and is worth paying attention to because she started off as a 'sheep' (believer) who became a 'goat' (non-believer).

This is because, as a student at Oxford, she once had a classic OOBE in which she ‘flew’ out of her body, saw auras and even became one with ‘the entire universe, expanding at the speed of light’. As a consequence, she resolved to spend her postgraduate years designing experiments intended to prove that this and other psychic/paranormal phenomena were genuine.

However, in later years she became a sceptic as it dawned on her that even spectacular experiences such as hers could be explained scientifically in terms of what happens to the brain when it is in a state of shock or is overstimulated (she had been partying hard for three days beforehand).

For example, she thinks that the out-of- body experience is just a dramatic expression of our ability to construct models of ourselves, to see ourselves from the outside. And when she tested people who claimed to be capable of astral projection to ‘visit’ her home and identify a number she had taped to a wall, none succeeded. Similarly, she got people who claimed to see auras to try to guess whether there was someone standing behind a door or not, as their aura should poke out beyond the edge of the door and be visible. None were able to guess correctly beyond the level of chance.

Blackmore has, nevertheless, still ended up becoming a Zen Buddhist, albeit one who does not believe in life after death.

Her book In Search of the Light: The Adventures of a Parapsychologist is well-worth seeking out.

On the other hand, someone who appears to have travelled in the opposite direction is psychiatrist Bruce Greyson. Although brought up to be sceptical by his father, decades of studying Near Death Experiences or NDEs in some of his patients seems to have convinced him that there is something to this phenomenon, and he has just published a book on this aspect of his career. Regardless of whether they are hallucinations in a dying brain, Greyson reveals that these experiences are powerfully and lastingly transformative.

When it comes to ghosts, Blackmore and Greyson's perspectives are relevant as the model of the relationship between the mind and the body that they have examined is inherently dualistic. In terms of Western philosophy, it is a concept that dates back to Plato and is famously reflected in Descartes' cogito expression.

Personally, I am inclined to favour David Hume's view that miraculous phenomena require a much higher standard of proof than we might demand when examining the credulity of more mundane claims. Given that the laws of nature tend to operate consistently, Hume argues that it is always preferable to disbelieve eyewitness testimony to the contrary.

Having said that, I still think Greyson's book should be taken seriously as he is a diligent researcher.

So overall, my recommendation would be to read both Blackmore and Greyson if anyone is inclined to go into this topic more deeply, and then make your own mind up.

Last edited:
When I was a student I worked as a porter at NMGH.

One of the wards were closed so me and another lad had to go on and clear all the old beds and whatnot.

When we got on there, there was an old woman in a nightgown at the end of the corridor. Me and the other lad just thought a patient had just wondered on there (even though the doors were locked and only a badge could get you on)

So we went to the other side of the room to try and get her but as we were walking, she just wandered off down to the toilet, as we got there, she was nowhere to be found. There are only 2 doors that she could have gone and that was an office and toilet and she just vanished. Safe to say, me and the other lad ran out that ward.

I honestly wish I could explain what had happened, but we both saw the same thing and even described her the same.

I also got told of stories of a ward at NMGH that was locked from the inside and you could hear beds being smashed, cupboards being slammed - you get the picture.

It was that bad, the managers asked the hospital chaplain to go and have a look. Once he went, he said he could feel a dark presence on here and didn't feel comfortable. Now from I got told, some priest came and performed some sort of exorcism and once done, the banging and bed smashing stopped.

Now that was for me, hard to believe but a lot different people who work there told me the same story.

I'm fairly open minded but never personally experienced anything that could be described as supernatural or paranormal.
A hotel I had was known as being haunted around the local area and over the years many guests mentioned strange goings on in their rooms or corridors at night. We had 'Ghosthunts' every 6 months or so and every single time those participating claimed to see or feel something in certain parts of the hotel.
In all the time I had it though I never seen, heard or experienced anything out of the ordinary and I used to regularly lock up late at night alone.
The only unexplained incident I encountered was when one of the wedding party's we had sent us a photo they had taken on the day and in the background, very clearly was a young girl of about 7/8 years old standing alone. It was strange because there were no children invited to the daytime ceremony and nobody had a clue who she was or remember her being there on the day.

I don’t believe in anything paranormal at all, but something very strange does happen to me all the time... and I do mean all the time, on a daily basis, sometimes a few times a day.

When I’m typing or reading, and I have the tele or some music on in the background, the word or sometimes a full sentence I read or type is said on the tele or sung in a song at the exact same time.

When I say it happens all the time, IT HAPPENS ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

It’s just happened when I was reading marco’s post on page 5 when I read “looking over your shoulder” and those same words were in the song “It’s Just About The Weather” by Alfie at that very moment. Which is what prompted me to post this post.

(it happens all the time!)

I think of it as a mad coincidence rather than owt paranormal or spiritual, but I thought I’d post on it here because it happened while reading this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once did a bit of work at an old pub over in Rainhill, think it was called the Bull or something like that. I had to go down into the cellar & the landlord said I’ll come with you, a lot of people don’t like it down there!! When I got down there I understood what he meant, just a horrible atmosphere down there, hard to explain but it spooked me out. Couldn’t wait to get away from there

I don’t believe in anything paranormal at all, but something very strange does happen to me all the time... and I do mean all the time, on a daily basis, sometimes a few times a day.

When I’m typing or reading, and I have the tele or some music on in the background, the word or sometimes a full sentence I read or type is said on the tele or sung in a song at the exact same time.

When I say it happens all the time, IT HAPPENS ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

It’s just happened when I was reading marco’s post on page 5 when I read “looking over your shoulder” and those same words were in the song “It’s Just About The Weather” by Alfie at that very moment. Which is what prompted me to post this post.

(it happens all the time!)

I think of it as a mad coincidence rather than owt paranormal or spiritual, but I thought I’d post on it here because it happened while reading this thread.
Yeah, although a believer I put it down to coincidence. Happens a lot to me so guessing it happens to most people. Fucking weird when it happens though!

Although on the side of believing, I do like to see video footage and photos challenged and in some cases, proven to be fake. A couple of famous ones spring to mind. One was the "Back Seat Ghost" in this link which always intrigued a lot of us in school: https://www.pocket-lint.com/cameras/news/141224-the-most-famous-ghost-photographs-ever-taken

Another is Roger Patterson's "Bigfoot" film from 1967. Funnily enough, it's one that I've always been sceptical about and it looks all the world to me that it's just some bloke dressed in a Bigfoot outfit. The bit where it turns around and looks back at the camera is a pretty big giveaway for me, although I don't think the sighting has ever been proven beyond all doubt to be fake:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.