Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Brilliant Olympics, I think it really shows the value of hosting the games in historic cities where you can have some stunning venues for some events. London and Paris have shown this.

In this regard I think LA and Brisbane will be disappointing, cities with not a lot of history. However, the sporting culture of those 2 countries will hopefully make up for it.

Viewing figures will drop in the UK for those 2, hopefully back in Europe after that.

Brilliant Olympics, I think it really shows the value of hosting the games in historic cities where you can have some stunning venues for some events. London and Paris have shown this.

In this regard I think LA and Brisbane will be disappointing, cities with not a lot of history. However, the sporting culture of those 2 countries will hopefully make up for it.
LA probably too much razzmatazz.
Tom Cruise doing some sort of a stunt tonight on the Paris/LA handover.

What was everyone's highlight then? Mine is undoubtedly Tom Pidcock coming back after the puncture to win the gold medal. It was already a phenomenal effort just to get back near the front, but the drama at the end and that last minute overtake was incredible.

LA probably too much razzmatazz.
Tom Cruise doing some sort of a stunt tonight on the Paris/LA handover.

The last LA Olympics was quite famously low-key and done on a shoe string budget. It is one of the only Olympics in modern times to actually make a profit. They did that by building very little new infrastructure. That is part of the logic of them getting it again. Almost no countries are bidding for it these days because it is unaffordable, and LA seeks to demonstrate how it can be done (but it is easier when you're a country that has existing infrastructure like the US).

Personally, I think the economics side of things is not really the reason any country should want to host. The benefit that is harder to measure is the improved outcomes for young people that get into these athletics events that lasts for decades after it's been hosted. It's not a coincidence that 5 of the top 7 in the medal table are all countries that have hosted the games in the last 25 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.