Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

PSG scored 4 goals in Barcelona and 3 goals in Munich, so they'll be hopeful that they can score 3 in Manchester. Also, Pochettino reached the final in 2019 after losing the 1st leg at home vs Ajax.

But there are some differences. Their wins in Barcelona and Munich came in the 1st leg while they were playing on counters. More importantly, City have generally a better defence than Barca and Bayern.

My prediction: 3:1 or 3:2 City. They have to take risks and we will be able to create more chances. Hopefully we will be clinical.

Last edited:
PSG showed they can be a great team but they lack ambition and motivation. You can't go 1-0 up in a SF and then take your foot off the gas and I think they were actually told to tighten up because they feared us in the second half.

Neymar and Mbappe showed flashes of brilliant play but there's a reason why they aren't even top of their own league. As much as people bang on about Neymar you can forget easily that Gundogan has scored more than him!

Scoring 2 against us is a big ask because they know we won't park the bus as we'll be trying to score 2 more too! I'm not saying the tie is over but it's certainly now ours to lose. I'd have taken a loss and an away goal but a win and 2 away goals is dreamland.

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.

PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).

Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.

We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.

I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.

The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.

In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).

The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.

There's a lof of truth in your assessment, Marvin, but also some problematic comparisons and assertions.

We created tons of chances vs Spurs, it was a completely different game. Spurs are worse than PSG, of course, but also we played with more confidence and aggressiveness at Wembley. In contrast, as Pep said, we were shy in the 1st half in Paris, weren't our normal selves.

Also, perhaps you underestimate the difficulty of playing a cup final at Wembley and a CL semi in Paris within 3 days. It was a big ask. We were definitely fresher and sharper in Dortmund where we ran 113 km vs 107 km last night. Think the players themselves were hesitant whether to press intensively already in the 1st half, maybe had some (unconscious) doubts whether they have the physical resources to press aggressively from start to finish.

Now, if as expected Pep rests most players vs Palace and plays a really fresh team, mentally and physically, at the Etihad, we will probably look sharper in attack.

You’d expect so in one of the biggest games in our history.

If people were laidback tonight there’s something fucking wrong with them!
I’m nervous but also have faith in this team. Personally I turn that nervousness in to willing us on. If there’s criticism to be had I can do that afterwards on reflection. Some deal with it by slagging the team off. It’s not the only way.

Excellent game and I loved the way we grew into it. That's on Pep, anyone doubting his tactical and man management needs their head testing.

Everyone played well, Foden really impressed with how he took the game by the scruff.

Kevin was a let down, somewhat, maybe trying too hard or nerves but slipping and mis passing.

Bernardo was brilliant, unsung.

Dias masterclass. And that save from Eddie!

Is there ANYONE left in our fanbase who doesn't want to win the CL? I bet they're enjoying this! Part timers!

Cmon City, it isn't done yet but Cmooooooooooooon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.