Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

I think we were massively fortunate in this game, and we should be aware of this. Against Spurs we dominated the ball but scored through a set-piece. Today, again we dominated the ball for long periods in the 2nd half and were able to create some very fluid passages of play on the outside of their box, but rarely did we threaten their goal. There was one must score moment from a PSG error in the 1st half when Bernardo passed to Foden and he struck it too centrally.
At the highest level, the difference between the teams is wafer thin, so you need a little bit of lady luck on your side. Fine margins win games, fine margins lose games, we know this from our defeats to Spurs and Liverpool. Its good to see fortune favour us in the CL.
PSG are in a way the counter-opposite to City. Their threat are their forwards in Mbappe and Neymar, whereas our offensive talent is that we have 5 fantastic midfielders in Foden, GUndogan, Bernardo, Mahrez and KDB but we are forever massed against their defence outside their penalty box free-wheeling forever. It is beautiful to watch when we have a lead but frustrating if we need a goal. Nothing came of all our midfield play at Wembley, and nothing came from it last night either. You could say the same about PSG too (took a corner).
Football is not all about threat, our game is about domination. It is an old adage, the opponents cannot score if you have the ball, so the best way to defend against Mbappe and Neymar is to not let them have the ball. Our team is designed to keep the ball and we do it very well. To say nothing comes from possession misses the point, if you are playing with the ball, the ball is moving and the opponents move according to where the ball is. You can stay virtually static and whilst the opponents are constantly moving, readjusting and looking for potential runners. That takes immense concentration and saps energy. You drain the opponents of energy and they make a mistake, hence Laporte scoring from a set piece, because Spurs had been literally passed to death
Our free-kick was incredibly fortunate. Mahrez can try that a 100 times and will never be able to do that again. What was he trying to do? GO round it, go over it? poor execution that came off simply because he hit it hard and on target.
Concentration, they relaxed, they were no longer looking for runners, readjusting. All the build up play and constant passing increases pressure. That pressure takes its toll, they switch off and concede. Small margins.
We got lucky. Same as Spurs did when they came to City in that Q/F. But you need luck.
You always need fortune on your side in sport. How often do you get unlucky winner's. Another old adage, the more I practice, the luckier I get.
I think we have make a virtue from a fundamental weakness in our side...the lack of a centre-forward. Our ability to control the ball prevents Mbappe and Neymars from hurting us because it means we dominate the ball but we don't carry the same lethal threat in the penalty area that PSG have.

When PSG have Neymar and Mbappe on the edge of our penalty area, then they have the capacity to shift the ball really quick and get a runner in on the end of a cross e.g., Mbappe to Veratti that he missed by inches. I don't see this City side carrying this kind of threat.
Yet that threat scored once, whilst we dominated the second half. If we played a centre forward would we have dominated midfield. If we don't dominate midfield, a centre forward ends up a peripheral luxury. It becomes 10 v 11
The ability though to suffocate a side by preventing them from building up play, and to monopolise the ball though are huge pluses.

If Foden and/other players develop the Neymar/Ronaldo/Lampard ability to carry a real goal threat without being an out and out centre-forward then this absence of a central stiker does not matter.
Foden is on the way to scoring 20 goals this season, Gundogan has scored how many? Kev and Mahrez always carry a goal threat. Raz scores plenty.
In the Summer we have a crucial decision to make. Do we continue as we are, or do we sacrifice a forward to carry more threat in the box but at the same time lose control over possession? How many times do Bernardo and Mahrez cut back inside and float lovely balls in but rarely do these crosses have much threat. Against Villa that's how Rodri scored (from a Bernardo ball).
We have enough threat already to have won a Cup, been in the Semi of another, have a good chance of being in the final of the CL and barring a collapse of epic proportions should be English Champions. How much more threat do we need.
The plus side is though that most games end up 30:70 possession for City and what can an opponen do with so little possession? PSG are very dangeorous because they are more clinical, or efficient with their 30% possession.
The result indicates otherwise.

Ederson had more touches than Mbappe. Neymar was reduced to petulance.

In 270 minutes of football against Haaland, Mbappe and Neymar, three of the best strikers in the world, how many have they scored? Less than our Phil.

Once we got the equaliser you could see there lips drop

Shit house tricks trying to con the ref and snide tackles

Neymar will never be the top player as he is a petulant prick

Zinchenko needs to start when Dias is LCB

If Laporte then Cancelo

I was really impressed by how well City played that side of the game too. Dias getting Neymar booked was a real highlight!

If we have the game won at home De Bruyne has to come off because they will be sore losers and try to get as many of our lads booked or sent off and we can't trust the refs to know its simulation. They wanted De Bruyne sent off for what was just a slightly late foot on Danilo!

PSG scored 4 at barcelona a few weeks ago, and that was after conceding a penalty.

First leg though. They went to Bayern and scored three in the first leg too. We know what they need to do and much like how they have played the home leg, we will look to stop them having their opportunities to get the goals they need.

It is a very different proposition for them this time.

Amazing performance from the lads. I keep hearing how PSG dominated the first half. Agreed they were a bit better than is but we still had a couple of decent moments and kept the ball well.

Walker was immense the whole game. His all round contribute to the side can not be under estimated. His runs off the ball and his willingness to force situations for us is such a let out. Great team performance.

A game of two halves really and a really enjoyable game to watch. Any neutral watching that that didn't enjoy it is clearly biased against us, which means Talk shite radio were for one, fuckin' toxic anti City was nauseous, but no surprise there!

When I saw the lineup I was pretty pleased with it. Unlike quite a few of the European games against top of opposition we didn't alter our natural balance or play me daft formations in order to contain and nullify. PSG came at us and we weathered their storm really well and i felt Ederson was not at fault for a cracking goal as he was rooted to the spot with no time to adjust.

From quite early on it was obvious that Foden was too isolated on the left and when Pep brought on Zinc for Cancelo when we really started to punish them. Like many I was fearful of their main two Mbappe, and Neigh-mare. A show pony of wonderful talent(when it's going well) tainted by being a nasty horrible desperate cheat when the chips are down, as he proved yet again last night.

We really wanted this game and showed it. PSG were desperate enough to resort to some nasty tackles and spoiling tactics and were left feeling a sorry mess at the end on their own pitch!

Still only half time so we cannot get carried away as a fired up PSG can really punish us by brilliant football and Mbappe I think is the best striker in the world right now and I feel as though he is still a danger man to be very wary of. Imagine him in our side, no don't, we're scary enough as it is when we're on fire without him but we do need a top class striker and I'll be delighted to to sign young Haaland.

I just hope we play our natural game next leg. No strange tactics or formations please Pep. We just need to absorb the goal threat and player on attacking game and we could really make a sorry mess of them, here's hoping we do because in our stride we can beat anyone. Cant single anyone out for praise or criticism really as we were solid defensively and relentless going forward.

I felt well chuffed and proud after the game, still buzzing today: )

You wanted De Bruyne off though!
"Pep fixed it, moving everybody 5-10 m higher up the pitch" ??

Pep moved the whole team further up the pitch 5-10m which allowed us to play the way we have all season playing a high line, Kev Gundo Bernie really started to take hold.
1st half I thought Kev was completely out of rhythm, looked unfit and slow if you were referring to previous posts, the semi is not the place to get back up to speed, however the change at half time seemed sort him out.
Kev is our best player a-lot to do with his rhythm, coming back from injury he needs a few games like Kun.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.