Paul Moulden's book "Lethal"

Was talking to a lad about amateur footy at the weekend he mentioned scoring 150 odd goals in a season as a kid and having loads of scouts watching his games ..but to watch his brother in midfield,not him,lol
I thought his goal tally ( if true) was impressive,and having never been a regular goal scorer myself, couldn't match it....tried to recall Mouldens tally at Bolton lads but couldn't...checked later and nearly fainted,lol

An average of 7.2 goals per game!!

Mouldens best goal for City,under Machin,Chelsea away ,1988 a 3-1 City win ,Redmond Lake brightwell and Moulden as we ripped Chelsea to bits on their own ground ,Moulden scoring in front of the Shed end with a brilliant left foot strike from distance...a goal so good,it made the City fans quietly sitting in Cheseas West stand tier 2( away fans were banned) blow their cover get up and cheer..at that point I realised just how many Blues were in Stamford Bridge.
Home attendance that mid week night was 9k iirc....
We certainly did blow our cover.

I read it over Christmas and found it interesting if, ultimately, a little bit thin. I guess the sad truth is that Moulden didn’t play enough games in his professional career to really fill out a book and doesn’t have enough to say about football or the life of a footballer to make for something particularly compelling or thorough. There were some interesting aspects to it and anyone who followed the 88/89 promotion season will find those chapters interesting. It’s fair to say he hates Mel Machin but I’m not sure his argument that City won promotion in spite of Machin not because of him really stands up to scrutiny. There’s one interesting bit where he talks about packing football in altogether circa 1988 but other than saying his head had gone he didn’t really explain what was going through his mind, why he didn’t just ask for a transfer or anything else. This is the sort of thing I’d expect a ghost writer to explore a bit further with the subject of a book but that doesn’t seem to be how it works with a lot of them.

One thing that is odd is that in the photos there’s a shot of Moulden going for header against Aston Villa (doesn’t say so but Nigel Spink is in goal and it looks like Martin Keown in a Villa kit in the background). It must be in the 87/88 season given City’s kit (navy socks), but according to every record I’ve looked at Moulden didn’t play against Villa that season. It seems that of the handful of photos that exist of Moulden playing for City the publishers managed to select one that isn’t even of him.

We beat 3 1 Villa late in 86 , Moulden scored if that helps and Keown and Spink played for Villa .

Loved Moulden he was my idol , when I was a kid at City I wanted to be him , sorry to hear about his recent stroke.

My Dad regularly went into his first chippy in Tonge Moor in Bolton when I was a young lad. He ended up getting me a signed City football off him with loads of other signatures I recall....

Chippy was decent but I lost the ball, sorry Paul.

Heard all about him and the links to Lads & Girls club being from Bolton. To echo what's been said, my old man said would of been a regular goal scorer for City but for injuries.

My favourite player when I was a kid. Anyone called Paul was my favourite though. Simpson, Moulden, then Stewart.

Me and my old man bumped into Moulden outside Maine Rd a few hours before a match near the ticket office. He was with Ian Brightwell. My dad had a chat with them while I just stood there gawping like a c**t. Then off he pops. A few minutes later he's back giving my dad a couple of tickets for the game. What a guy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.