Paul Moulden's book "Lethal"

I see that the this book is written together with David Clayton, who isn't a favourite of mine (read Lakey's book or David White's to see the difference a really good ghostwriter makes). I've no wish to trash a lifelong Blue and employee of the club who, I'm told, is a very nice bloke. However, I also shouldn't make a statement like that without giving some reasons.

For one, I don't see him as a particularly gifted wordsmith. I'd also question his judgement, for example, when ghosting Mike Doyle's autobiography - IMO he did Mike no favours, allowing his subject to come across as an angry, extremely bitter and rather unpleasant man. And he always has an error in him, not least in the recent official site profile of Alex Williams in which he cites completely the wrong game as Alex's debut.

Be that as it may. I'm still looking forward reading Paul's story. As others did on here, I followed the youth team and reserves quite keenly in the 1980s. I didn't go to away games like some posters did, but was a regular at home. Back then, I really thought that Moulden was going to be a star, especially when some of the wealthiest among rival clubs were showing serious interest in him. Out of all the players in the 1986 Youth Cup winning side, he was the one I'd have put money on to really make the big time.

When he started in the first team at City, some observers started to chunter about his lack of pace. My dad countered by saying he was quick over the first five yards, which was all that mattered. Unfortunately, injuries ensured that we never got to know how good he would have been despite not being overly quick. I remember the setbacks started when he broke a leg and missed most of the 1987/88 season, which arguably could well have been his breakout.

Anyway, I wish Paul well. I've fond memories of watching him in the youth, reserve and senior teams at City. I was saddened to read above that he had a stroke recently and wish him the best in recovering from that. I'll also listen to Ian Cheeseman's latest podcast to hear what Paul has to say about the book, his career and anything else.

I must admit that my heart sank when I saw that David Clayton is the ghost writer. He did Paul Walsh’s which is resolutely drafted in a tabloid style built on cliches and doesn’t come close to presenting an authentic voice. There were also quite a few factual errors which doesn’t inspire confidence in the rest of the book.

That said, part of the first chapter of Paul Moulden’s book is available online and read quite well. Moulden’s description of being bought a City top and then being taken to Maine Road to watch his heroes and being astonished by the sheer size of the ground rang very true. The funny thing is when the same thing happened to me as an 8 year Moulden was by then playing for City and he really was an old fashioned terrace hero.

Last edited:
This will be a good one to read, as most are. For me Paul Lake's has been the best of the ones I've read. However it got me thinking about ex-City players whose books I wouldn't touch with a bargepole! For me, Danny Mills would be the absolute No.1, then maybe Glauber Berti and Steppy Stepanovic! What do others think?

This will be a good one to read, as most are. For me Paul Lake's has been the best of the ones I've read. However it got me thinking about ex-City players whose books I wouldn't touch with a bargepole! For me, Danny Mills would be the absolute No.1, then maybe Glauber Berti and Steppy Stepanovic! What do others think?
A Stepanovic one would be interesting but I'd agree on the others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.