Pellegrini Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
peoffrey said:
Anyone know which club made Pellegrini an offer? I remember his name being linked at Chelsea but he's surely too wise to go there.

I've been discussing Pellegrini with a few Blues who's opinions I trust and respect (Blues who know more about football than I do) and the general consensus is that the football is exciting and a means to an end. We'll just outscore opponents and teams will be frightened to take us on properly. Just look at our home form recently!

Liverpool.

Interesting. It must have been a strong decision to turn down one of the most famous clubs in world football.

BillyShears said:
peoffrey said:
I could have come to England at that moment, I had the option but I chose to stay in Spain. I chose Málaga because it was a challenge and I was very happy there but of course you cannot win the title with Málaga or Villarreal. It is impossible. But Manchester City can win a title in England. I am sure of that.

Anyone know which club made Pellegrini an offer? I remember his name being linked at Chelsea but he's surely too wise to go there.

I've been discussing Pellegrini with a few Blues who's opinions I trust and respect (Blues who know more about football than I do) and the general consensus is that the football is exciting and a means to an end. We'll just outscore opponents and teams will be frightened to take us on properly. Just look at our home form recently!

Liverpool.

Yep, except they chose Hodgson instead. :P

BillyShears said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Pablo1 said:
He's doing a tremendous job and we're lucky to have him. I go into each game expecting to see a brand of football that makes me smile and he's not disappointed so far.

I'd be quite content to win nowt season on season - just watching the kind of football we've had this half season.

Seems more and more Blues are feeling like that. Think that's probably the biggest testament to the manager. There'll always be those who are trophy hungry come what may, but I think for the majority the football we're playing means even if we don't win anything, with Pellegrini in charge nothing is lost as we'll go again next season.

I feel as though the press are beginning to realise why he came to City with such a respected reputation, and why City weren't the only club who wanted him.

Turning my attention to today's match. Another week another decision as to whether we play with Dzeko/Negredo or we play with an extra midfield player. Having seen what the partnership did to West Ham in midweek I'd personally be disappointed if he changed it and went with one up top today. Think he should stick to his guns and see if we can outgun Newcastle.

Was going to try and read the whole thread before pitching in but...

I cannot say that I would be happy to win nowt (we say "nothing in Oxon) but the trophies come at the end of a journey and the journey is very important for me and, at the moment it's a helluva ride. My confidence that we will eventually win more trophies has also never been higher.

On today, to pick up from a Rammy comment, every game is going to be crucial (ok, WHU away might not be but we should never be complacent): it's that kind of season.

In terms of team selection, Dzeko / Negredo have to start. One of the worst things Mancini did was drop Edin, when he was on a scoring run, after Spurs... Dzeko and Negredo scored 5 and had 2 assists between them on Wednesday so, psychologically, they must keep their places. I expect that the will. The message has surely been hammered home by now that Pellers is sticking to his guns on how we play and, especially, how we start matches. He quite clearly did that when many supporters were clammering for something else because, he believed in it, he wanted his players to believe in it and he wants his players to perfect it and the best way to do that is to practice it in real games.

I confess that I was moved to comment before WHU that I was not a fan of the combo but was expecting to see it anyway; now, I am much more relaxed about it. Manny commented on the partnership, tellingly I thought, in his post match interview, where he seemed to acknowledge that they were not an instant hit together and had had to work at it. Rather than give up on something at the first hint of trouble, like many supporters would, MP has the balls to manage improvement.

People are on about winning a trophy this season but Arsene Wenger hasn't won one for 8 years and he's still there. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd be happy with a strong challenge for all 4 competitions. There's been change at City and we need to be patient.

BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
Do we need Barkley? I think not. The 3 positions I mentioned earlier are clearly in need of an upgrade, then we're good to go. Unless an exceptional talent becomes available, and Barkley isn't that imo.

I think we do need Barkley. I think Barkley is going to develop into a central midfield player rather than a number 10 and therefore would be an excellent acquisition. Even if he doesn't develop into that and is more of a number 10, then I'd still have him in our squad in a heartbeat because I believe he'd give us a different option to what we have already in that position.

I also think that when it comes to English players, if they're good enough you buy them and make room for them even if it means someone else getting less game time.

Fair enough if you don't think he's exceptional, I personally think he will be even if he isn't right now.

I reckon if we got Barkley from Everton, it would be similar to the Rags buying Shrek.

OB1 said:
BillyShears said:
I'd be quite content to win nowt season on season - just watching the kind of football we've had this half season.

Seems more and more Blues are feeling like that. Think that's probably the biggest testament to the manager. There'll always be those who are trophy hungry come what may, but I think for the majority the football we're playing means even if we don't win anything, with Pellegrini in charge nothing is lost as we'll go again next season.

I feel as though the press are beginning to realise why he came to City with such a respected reputation, and why City weren't the only club who wanted him.

Turning my attention to today's match. Another week another decision as to whether we play with Dzeko/Negredo or we play with an extra midfield player. Having seen what the partnership did to West Ham in midweek I'd personally be disappointed if he changed it and went with one up top today. Think he should stick to his guns and see if we can outgun Newcastle.

I cannot say that I would be happy to win nowt (we say "nothing in Oxon) but the trophies come at the end of a journey and the journey is very important for me and, at the moment it's a helluva ride. My confidence that we will eventually win more trophies has also never been higher.

On today, to pick up from a Rammy comment, every game is going to be crucial (ok, WHU away might not be but we should never be complacent): it's that kind of season.

In terms of team selection, Dzeko / Negredo have to start. One of the worst things Mancini did was drop Edin, when he was on a scoring run, after Spurs... Dzeko and Negredo scored 5 and had 2 assists between them on Wednesday so, psychologically, they must keep their places. I expect that the will. The message has surely been hammered home by now that Pellers is sticking to his guns on how we play and, especially, how we start matches. He quite clearly did that when many supporters were clammering for something else because, he believed in it, he wanted his players to believe in it and he wants his players to perfect it and the best way to do that is to practice it in real games.

I confess that I was moved to comment before WHU that I was not a fan of the combo but was expecting to see it anyway; now, I am much more relaxed about it. Manny commented on the partnership, tellingly I thought, in his post match interview, where he seemed to acknowledge that they were not an instant hit together and had had to work at it. Rather than give up on something at the first hint of trouble, like many supporters would, MP has the balls to manage improvement.

I'm absolutely sure he will stick with the 4222 today and the centre forwards. I've a feeling dzeko will have a real good game too. His touch seems to be returning and he's really got a point to prove, quickly, before Sergio is back. It's obvious Pellegrini sees him as a confidence player and I'm sure he's talking to him and building him up all the time.

I agree its a big big game for our title hopes but we've been saying that for weeks/months now. We have had such a good couple of months that even a draw or defeat, whilst a blow, will certainly not end our title hopes. It will be a hard game today but I'm looking forward to it very much.

OB1 said:
BillyShears said:

This mentality will definitely stand us in good stead for the future and, to be fair, is what management is actually about.

'Flogging a dead donkey' is completely different from working at something to improve it, especially when, as a manager on the training ground, you can actually 'see' what needs to be improved and so can formulate a plan to facilitate that improvement.

Interestingly, I think the way Pellegrini has us playing actually makes it easier for Dzeko and Negredo to learn to play together in competitive games. The pressure to score must be eased somewhat when the rest of the players are chipping in with their fair share of goals.

hgblue said:
cleavers said:
One things for sure, reading that interview, those with a craving for clean sheets, and more complete defending, are going to be disappointed, because he is only going to play one way, attack attack attack.

Personally I'm glad he is, and yes it probably will lose us the odd game, but its great to watch, and if he pulls it off then it will ceratinly be the best season any of us have ever watched.

I like the idea that he seems to be motivated by proving Real wrong, that can only be a positive focus, and I'm sure he's in the heads of all the players saying that we are better than Real were when he was there, a season they broke Real's own records. If you are a player in this squad listening to this how can you be motivated by it, whether you are Sergio, VK, Jimmy or even Javi ? You must feel that you won't ever have a better chance, to be the best you will achieve in your career, that must be a great feeling as a player, and its great that he is giving all the players their chances.

It would be good if this thread doesn't get hijacked by personal insults too, lets keep it for discussing Pellegrini, and not for comparing him to others.

I'll hold my hands up, I have a craving for clean sheets and more complete defending. Why? Because I believe a more pragmatic approach would deliver us the title, and I'm not convinced this 'basketball' style of football will. However, if we continue playing like this, home and away, against all opposition, and we go on to win the title, I'll be the first to come on here and eat a large portion of humble pie.

It could do, we don't know. If you're a match going fan, it must be great to go and watch us week in week out. That
must count for something too. I get to about 7/8 matches a season.<br /><br />-- Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:
He's doing a tremendous job and we're lucky to have him. I go into each game expecting to see a brand of football that makes me smile and he's not disappointed so far.

Rather play like we do and win nowt, rather than shite and win nowt like we used to.

Pellers gets my full support, like virtually every manager we've ever had in my life time, however he has my full respect, the way he wants us to play, the way he carries himself, the way he deals with the press, the man oozes class and i think we are very lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.