Pep Guardiola - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of the covid season, 20- 21, when Pep stated that he didn't like his team and the way we were playing. It all changed when we went to Chelsea and battered them and got the season back on track. Let's hope the game at Stamford Bridge this week proves to do the same this season. Pep seems to be having one of those weird moments he has from time to time with regards to his team selection. I'm sure he will figure it out, he has done in the past.
Good post. My thoughts exactly. He has turned the team arround successfully several times after one of his Pep formation/ team blips. I suspect despite the defensive words from him over the Everton game we we see a different much more dynamic line up vs Chelsea.

I didn't mean it to be rude although I can see how it would be. My apologies. I meant I'm not giving Pep that out. He could build off Jack's last game and still play Foden.

I'm just tired of the position some take that Pep is all knowing, all the time and that anyone on here who raises concerns or questions his decisions must be a clueless idiot. I'm sorry but I think it's ludicrous to assume there aren't some very knowledgeable supporters on the forum who know what they're talking about. People who have played, coached, and have been involved in the game intently for many years. Some of us don't want to stick their head in the sand, cross their fingers, and ignore what they are seeing. And there's not a thing wrong with that. Before you get ticked I'm not saying you do or don't do that...

What I don't do is assume there are not knowledgeable people on here but I do question how many really get what Pep is doing at times. I'd also question how many people don't learn from history?

I still don`t get why he suddently starts playing with 3CB in a 3-4-3/3-5-2/4-4-3 system against opponents with 5 at the back. Creativity and built-up play are clearly suffering in this set-up. Even worse we still couldn`t keep a clean sheet in the last games.

I guess you also don't want or expect any changes the next two games as we were so good vs Everton, so why change it. Patience is a virtue but having shots on target is better. Aside from the goal, we had two other shots on target the entire game. I don't call that playing well.

We went long periods of the game without threatening against an Everton team sat deep in their penalty area. But Pep only tried to change things with minutes left which was utterly bizarre in most peoples eyes.

I'm already on record as saying that I would have made more changes for the Everton game so I don't expect the exact same team for Chelsea. Chelsea away are quite a different proposition to Everton at home.

I'm also on record as saying I'd have made subs early but I can see why Pep waited to do it.

Not hitting the target enough is not the same as playing shite overall. Also, didn't we have 3 shots on target; plus one that hit the post. 7 shots were also blocked, which reflects the kind of game it was, as does the fact almost a third of City's shots were from outside the box.

Been a bit off of late but doesn’t look too well at this moment, could be suffering with this bug that's knocking about.
We need a fit Kalvin Phillips as Rodri needs a rest sometime soon. I suspect KP if fit will start against Chelsea in the FA cup on Sunday.

We need a fit Kalvin Phillips as Rodri needs a rest sometime soon. I suspect KP if fit will start against Chelsea in the FA cup on Sunday.
And possibly against Southampton in the League Cup too.

I actually thought Rodri played well at Leeds and at home to Liverpool in the Carabao Cup. He is shouldering a lot of responsibility currently though, and we really need Phillips to get fit and firing to alleviate the pressure on Rodders.

What you say is fair and we'll articulated, but would you agree that the manner in which some posters criticise warrants the feedback they receive?
For sure. I'm not speaking for those who think everyone sucks, the team sucks, screw this one, screw that one. I'm speaking for my belief that there are plenty on here who have the ability to take thoughtful, logical positions even if they don't always concur with Pep's thinking. Ignoring some of the current results is tantamount to being what exactly? Asking why Foden is not playing or subs aren't being made until very late on isn't some form of insubordination. Its not any type of disloyalty. For me its simply logical in response to what we're currently doing that is not working well enough and causing us to drop points to teams that were on life support coming in like Vilaa was and Everton is. This idea that we've won 4 out of 5 titles is irrelevant at this time. Its a different cast of players. This team wasn't built to be "in the mix". Haaland wasn't signed for us to take a step or two backward. City are massive favorites coming in. It doesn't guarantee anything and it certainly doesn't entitle us to anything but at least people should admit we are underperforming and some of it is a result of some curious decisions being made by the manager. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it, LOL...

And possibly against Southampton in the League Cup too.

I actually thought Rodri played well at Leeds and at home to Liverpool in the Carabao Cup. He is shouldering a lot of responsibility currently though, and we really need Phillips to get fit and firing to alleviate the pressure on Rodders.
Agree 100% but don't bet on it. Pep is running Rodri into the ground. He had Gundo there a couple times with no worries and I believe Bernardo while different could do a job there too if needed. Last year he didn't heitate to play a much diminished Fernandinho there but this year its Rodri or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.