pep guardiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santiago Street . said:
I'm not as far up Pep's arse as the Barca/Txiki fanboys on here but to use one of Jamie's favourite words I was gobsmacked by the overpromoted Carragher's hatchet job on Bayern and Pep after the game. They were clearly the better team and some nights things just don't drop for you. For me they're still favourites to win the CL. Pep's not the God that some think he is but he didn't warrant such a slating from a recently retired half decent centre back

The guy who argued that Pep's Barca at their peak were overeulogized in the media had it right. Tiki taka isn't a magical pathway to success for a club ready to devote themselves holistically to it's implementation. Messi was the magic ingredient in that great Barca team, take him out and they're slightly better than Arsenal post Henry. But the easily influenced on here (and in our boardroom) can't or won't see that, all they want is tiki taka. And for some of them, their slavish devotion to it is pure football snobbery. It's almost become vulgar these days to soak up pressure and strike on the break or to use wingers who go on the outside and cross the ball or to shoot from distance. The fashion right now is for pretty triangles and one touch passing. Vinny's comment about it not being enough to win anymore, now we have to win "the right way" is proof that this mindset is, sadly, endemic at City.

"There are many ways to fuck a pig and the pig is fucked best if a combination of these ways is used"

Watching City play though you sometimes wonder if Tiki taka is actually the objective? If anything tippy tappy was something we saw more under Mancini but this year we have been absolutely ruthless at times. Tiki taka is not what Kompany was referring to, he was referring to an attacking style which we have really grown into this season. Whether that's because teams just can't deal with us I don't know but we have shown a lot more attacking prowess this year than I have ever seen in the past but the players haven't changed, we have rather found an identity for the club.

Playing on the break is not an option to us because since when has a team put us under consistent pressure where we even get a chance to break away. I don't think anyone on here would like to see us under the cosh against Fulham at home and play on the break anyway. An example of playing on the break is us last year and we were terrible at it, we sometimes played whole games without creating a chance but I suppose we were defensively sound.... There wasn't however an identity to the team and clearly the players started to have issues with it and probably the worst performance I've seen turned out to be Mancini's last and that ponderous Italian style went too.

Wingers are pointless in modern football, look at how ineffective Navas was against Liverpool and in recent games, the wingers day is dead and that's because modern teams find it easy to defend against endless punts of the ball into the box. Using Navas however to stretch play and get the ball up the pitch quickly with his pace is good. United probably broke the record this year for the most crosses in one game and it was something like 83 against Fulham at home, they drew the game 2-2. If you look at any top team in Europe, none of them have or employ traditional wingers. Real Madrid arguably play with wingers but they don't cross the ball because why would their 2 best players be told to lump the ball into the box at all.

With Guardiola a lot of people don't give him or his teams credit because the opposition has to setup so well to cope and many people miss that. Bayern probably don't play at the same intensity as they did last year but I wouldn't say they are lacking anything because of this new style. They played a Real Madrid side that contains several of the worlds best players and kept the score to 1-0 which is a great result to take into the home leg. The intensity level Guardiola demands of his players was better seen at Barcelona where they never gave any team a chance, off or on the ball and that is something that is yet to be replicated. That Barcelona team had a fantastic player in Messi but the team as a whole was also fantastic and it worked perfectly with Guardiola's way of playing and that's why they did so well, how they played is irrelevant really. Lets face it, Chelsea won the Champions League a couple of years ago but would anyone say they deserved it through the way they played, no. But that style of play suited Chelsea, they were good defensively and just nicked goals where they could and there is nothing wrong with that.

Messi of course was in fantastic form in the Guardiola era at Barcelona and that probably won them a lot of things but you forget that Pep inherited a team that was slumping and he took huge decisions to get rid of expensive buys like Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Ibrahimovic. Even Yaya didn't fit in and was sold to us but they were never worse off as a team because of the way they played and how that system fit that group of players.

Barcelona have since capitulated because they do not have a driving force anymore to show them how they should be playing. No doubt their current manager is just trying to carry on the way they have always played but it has to be reinforced. It is no coincidence that Messi becoming unhappy and their entire fall from grace has coincided with a crisis in their management. I think Barcelona are now a team that is facing an identity crisis like we did, they are scared to get rid of players in case they ruin the formula and they are also scared of changing the formula in case it ruins everything. Pep wouldn't let that team get to how it is, he'd get rid of the players that no longer work or fit and then start again, it is so important in football to constantly change because eventually like now that era will be up. We've seen the same thing at United, Ferguson goes and suddenly everything goes to pot because that driving force just is not there.

inbetween said:
Santiago Street . said:
I'm not as far up Pep's arse as the Barca/Txiki fanboys on here but to use one of Jamie's favourite words I was gobsmacked by the overpromoted Carragher's hatchet job on Bayern and Pep after the game. They were clearly the better team and some nights things just don't drop for you. For me they're still favourites to win the CL. Pep's not the God that some think he is but he didn't warrant such a slating from a recently retired half decent centre back

The guy who argued that Pep's Barca at their peak were overeulogized in the media had it right. Tiki taka isn't a magical pathway to success for a club ready to devote themselves holistically to it's implementation. Messi was the magic ingredient in that great Barca team, take him out and they're slightly better than Arsenal post Henry. But the easily influenced on here (and in our boardroom) can't or won't see that, all they want is tiki taka. And for some of them, their slavish devotion to it is pure football snobbery. It's almost become vulgar these days to soak up pressure and strike on the break or to use wingers who go on the outside and cross the ball or to shoot from distance. The fashion right now is for pretty triangles and one touch passing. Vinny's comment about it not being enough to win anymore, now we have to win "the right way" is proof that this mindset is, sadly, endemic at City.

"There are many ways to fuck a pig and the pig is fucked best if a combination of these ways is used"

Watching City play though you sometimes wonder if Tiki taka is actually the objective? If anything tippy tappy was something we saw more under Mancini but this year we have been absolutely ruthless at times. Tiki taka is not what Kompany was referring to, he was referring to an attacking style which we have really grown into this season. Whether that's because teams just can't deal with us I don't know but we have shown a lot more attacking prowess this year than I have ever seen in the past but the players haven't changed, we have rather found an identity for the club.

Playing on the break is not an option to us because since when has a team put us under consistent pressure where we even get a chance to break away. I don't think anyone on here would like to see us under the cosh against Fulham at home and play on the break anyway. An example of playing on the break is us last year and we were terrible at it, we sometimes played whole games without creating a chance but I suppose we were defensively sound.... There wasn't however an identity to the team and clearly the players started to have issues with it and probably the worst performance I've seen turned out to be Mancini's last and that ponderous Italian style went too.

Wingers are pointless in modern football, look at how ineffective Navas was against Liverpool and in recent games, the wingers day is dead and that's because modern teams find it easy to defend against endless punts of the ball into the box. Using Navas however to stretch play and get the ball up the pitch quickly with his pace is good. United probably broke the record this year for the most crosses in one game and it was something like 83 against Fulham at home, they drew the game 2-2. If you look at any top team in Europe, none of them have or employ traditional wingers. Real Madrid arguably play with wingers but they don't cross the ball because why would their 2 best players be told to lump the ball into the box at all.

With Guardiola a lot of people don't give him or his teams credit because the opposition has to setup so well to cope and many people miss that. Bayern probably don't play at the same intensity as they did last year but I wouldn't say they are lacking anything because of this new style. They played a Real Madrid side that contains several of the worlds best players and kept the score to 1-0 which is a great result to take into the home leg. The intensity level Guardiola demands of his players was better seen at Barcelona where they never gave any team a chance, off or on the ball and that is something that is yet to be replicated. That Barcelona team had a fantastic player in Messi but the team as a whole was also fantastic and it worked perfectly with Guardiola's way of playing and that's why they did so well, how they played is irrelevant really. Lets face it, Chelsea won the Champions League a couple of years ago but would anyone say they deserved it through the way they played, no. But that style of play suited Chelsea, they were good defensively and just nicked goals where they could and there is nothing wrong with that.

Messi of course was in fantastic form in the Guardiola era at Barcelona and that probably won them a lot of things but you forget that Pep inherited a team that was slumping and he took huge decisions to get rid of expensive buys like Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Ibrahimovic. Even Yaya didn't fit in and was sold to us but they were never worse off as a team because of the way they played and how that system fit that group of players.

Barcelona have since capitulated because they do not have a driving force anymore to show them how they should be playing. No doubt their current manager is just trying to carry on the way they have always played but it has to be reinforced. It is no coincidence that Messi becoming unhappy and their entire fall from grace has coincided with a crisis in their management. I think Barcelona are now a team that is facing an identity crisis like we did, they are scared to get rid of players in case they ruin the formula and they are also scared of changing the formula in case it ruins everything. Pep wouldn't let that team get to how it is, he'd get rid of the players that no longer work or fit and then start again, it is so important in football to constantly change because eventually like now that era will be up. We've seen the same thing at United, Ferguson goes and suddenly everything goes to pot because that driving force just is not there.

Bet that took ages !!

inbetween said:
Santiago Street . said:

Watching City play though you sometimes wonder if Tiki taka is actually the objective? If anything tippy tappy was something we saw more under Mancini but this year we have been absolutely ruthless at times..

It isn't the objective. We are trying a Brazilian style of football, which is high paced, explosive and skillful. The formation we use is a narrow 4-2-4 or 4-2-2-2, call it whatever you like. Tiki Taka is not the objective.

Santiago Street . said:

PMSL. You are at it again. A walking, talking personification of the cult of the forum fool. An empty vessel given a platform to make strange noises loudly.

Your first thirteen words are a thing of such gargantuan ignorance and stupidity that they are quite beautiful, in the way that a tornado or spider can be.

Keep up the good work lad. This thread is getting enjoyable.

Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:

PMSL. You are at it again. A walking, talking personification of the cult of the forum fool. An empty vessel given a platform to make strange noises loudly.

Your first thirteen words are a thing of such gargantuan ignorance and stupidity that they are quite beautiful, in the way that a tornado or spider can be.

If Vinny actually said its not enough to win anymore he is treading a fine line because under his stewardship to date at least we obviously haven't won enough for enough of the time.

Too much is made of how to go about playing and not enough about how to go about winning.

As is often said winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

Competitive sport at the highest level is all about winning and VK if he wants to go down in history as a winner will do everything he can to ensure we do that as often as possible to land silverware or else he will be considered a failure by us and his peers when he retires.

Triangles are for children in early maths classes to learn more about.

Dave

Or quite beautiful in the way that say a delusional online wannabe know it all humiliating himself on a different thread by mistakenly and embarrassingly claiming his opinion is more respected by those in the know than another forumite's, and then having to withdraw in shame after being outed as a cowardly online bully would be beautiful.

mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:

If Vinny actually said its not enough to win anymore he is treading a fine line because under his stewardship to date at least we obviously haven't won enough for enough of the time.

Too much is made of how to go about playing and not enough about how to go about winning.

Competitive sport at the highest level is all about winning and VK if he wants to go down in history as a winner will do everything he can to ensure we do that as often as possible to land silverware or else he will be considered a failure by us and his peers when he retires.

So are those that play in triangles not winners ! ?Brazil built their game around skill technique and possession and are the most successful national team ever. They play a similar way to Barca I.e. in triangles or whatever you want to call it but they understand that by retaining ppossession they are also defending, a concept most Englishmen cannot seem to grasp ! They also play a wonderful attacking style of football that is a pleasure to watch. English football is the polar opposite of tiki taka or playing in triangles as you could hope to get. It brawn over brain thud and blunder yet some people seem to like it , but it has been a complete failure yet we still can't see it ! Spain Barca and Brazil are inextricably linked and look at their success.

-- Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 pm --

mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:

So are those that play in triangles not winners ! ?Brazil built their game around skill technique and possession and are the most successful national team ever. They play a similar way to Barca I.e. in triangles or whatever you want to call it but they understand that by retaining ppossession they are also defending, a concept most Englishmen cannot seem to grasp ! They also play a wonderful attacking style of football that is a pleasure to watch. English football is the polar opposite of tiki taka or playing in triangles as you could hope to get. It brawn over brain thud and blunder yet some people seem to like it , but it has been a complete failure yet we still can't see it ! Spain Barca and Brazil are inextricably linked and look at their success.<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:25 pm --<br /><br />
mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:

So are those that play in triangles not winners ! ?Brazil built their game around skill technique and possession and are the most successful national team ever. They play a similar way to Barca I.e. in triangles or whatever you want to call it but they understand that by retaining ppossession they are also defending, a concept most Englishmen cannot seem to grasp ! They also play a wonderful attacking style of football that is a pleasure to watch. English football is the polar opposite of tiki taka or playing in triangles as you could hope to get. It brawn over brain thud and blunder yet some people seem to like it , but it has been a complete failure yet we still can't see it ! Spain Barca and Brazil are inextricably linked and look at their success.

Santiago Street . said:
Dave

Or quite beautiful in the way that say a delusional online wannabe know it all humiliating himself on a different thread by mistakenly and embarrassingly claiming his opinion is more respected by those in the know than another forumite's, and then having to withdraw in shame after being outed as a cowardly online bully would be beautiful.

Sometimes you contrary turds appear to live in some bizarre parallel online universe with its own language.

How utterly strange. I don't know whether I'm supposed to be going "shucks, you got me", getting angry at you or sticking a pencil up my nose and chanting "flannel".

I think I will go with Flannel.

Flannel. Flannel. Flannel.

Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:
Dave

Sometimes you contrary turds appear to live in some bizarre parallel online universe with its own language.

How utterly strange. I don't know whether I'm supposed to be going "shucks, you got me", getting angry at you or sticking a pencil up my nose and chanting "flannel".

I'd have gone for
Minge.minge.minge !

Didsbury Dave said:
Santiago Street . said:
Dave

I don't know what you should do sunshine. What did you do last time - cry at the unfairness of it all ?

24,000 posts should make even you fairly conversant with this bizarre online language.

Is that a record for a non mod on here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.