Pep: 'The players deserve a full stadium, we need our fans!'

I will never understand united, liverpool, arsenal fans etc from across the globe who have never been to England in their lives going on about empty seats. Bizarre.

So I can understand what you are saying, are those who boo the anthem flogging a dead horse, or are they complaining about things that haven't happened yet?

You seem to be saying its both, but those two seem to me to be mutually exclusive.
The message was heard quite clearly, they know the reasons for it now surely? What else are you expecting to achieve from the booing, what action? They aren't going anywhere, there's plenty of things wrong with the FA do we boo them too now? To what end?

Also why kick up a fuss over something that has not happened? Those are not mutually exclusive at all.

I will never understand united, liverpool, arsenal fans etc from across the globe who have never been to England in their lives going on about empty seats. Bizarre.

It's understandable; they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for insults. I couldn't give two shits what any group of football fans say. All I care about is the progression of my club.

The scraping of the barrel is confirmation of that progression.

I don't understand why people get so bothered about attendances, we weren't playing Barcelona we were playing the 3rd best team in Germany the day after the game had been cancelled. Many have work, many can't afford it, many could attend Tuesday and then couldn't last night. Many probably wanted to buy tickets after the change who couldn't attend Tuesday and these went unsold because UEFA saw to it we weren't allowed to start selling them again. I could attend either night because my work allows the flexibility to do so, without that I couldn't go at all because of the time I finish.

A low attendance on a weekday is pretty inevitable and the only exception would be for a league game where season ticket holders are more obliged to attend because they have paid to be there in advance. Pep is a purist, he wants a big atmosphere to boost the players and that is completely right to ask of us, he won't comment more though or judge because why would he, it isn't his money. His comment I think was misconstrued in the sense that he was asked about the booing and general negativity to the anthem/competition, not about the attendances.

Just to compare the huge teams, Barcelona attendance on Tuesday night - 72,000 out of 100,000, Real Madrid had 72,000 out of 80,000. The exception I guess is Spurs last night but then that game is in one of the largest cities in the world. For them it was the first game in their 2nd time in the competition, first time ever at Wembley, it was hardly a straight forward run out against a 3rd rate German team in the 5/6th year of their participation in the competition.

Consider this, say we got 35/40,000 on last night, that is about 60/65% capacity which is pretty similar to the other teams above and we aren't a capital city like Madrid or a huge centre like Barcelona... It really is a pointless thing to be bothered about to be honest because nowhere else was rammed to capacity with some mega atmosphere. Looking at the highlights it looks to me like we enjoyed a better atmosphere than the one at Wembley.

Lets see what United's attendance is against Zorya in a couple of weeks and we'll see what happens.
I don't know why everyone is always pretending they don't matter, the club has come a long way so attendances very much do matter now to the club. Maybe not to you personally but we should be thinking of the club first and perhaps that's one of the ways in which the fanbase needs to change, is the club not allowed to appeal to the wider City fanbase and get more people who love the club to come to the ground and show support? They will probably have an idea of how many watch from home fans(TV) they have better than any of us... maybe that's who it was aimed at and it might just work, maybe some of those fans are thinking "I really should try and get to a game or two".

Last edited:
The message was heard quite clearly, they know the reasons for it now surely? What else are you expecting to achieve from the booing, what action? They aren't going anywhere, there's plenty of things wrong with the FA do we boo them too now? To what end?

Also why kick up a fuss over something that has not happened? Not mutually exclusive at all.

Do you really not see why those two statements are inconsistent with each other?

Do you really not see why those two statements are inconsistent with each other?
Ok so in simple terms you said "mutually exclusive" which mean both statements cannot be true yes?

1) They got the message on one hand because we heard they were thinking about taking action against the club for it but quickly backed off because of the wider reaction to the possibility of it.

2) On the other hand I said people are clutching at straws as to a reason to continue in spite of them getting the message... that being proposed changes by a minority of members from UEFA(that consists of many members I thought) that have not been approved and in my opinion wont be approved.

How can you not see the statements were not mutually exclusive?

Last edited:
We've got to be the only football club in history that gets criticised for not having enough glory fans.

The attendance was poor and it wouldn't have been great on Tuesday. The football though was amazing and far better than comes across through the TV coverage
Our fans in the South Stand especially were the best I've heard at the Etihad for ages. Well worth the 2 and half annual holidays, the soaking I got on Tuesday and the several hundred pounds it cost me. Thank you Pep and the boys and the singing section.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.