Pep: 'The players deserve a full stadium, we need our fans!'

We've got to be the only football club in history that gets criticised for not having enough glory fans.

Ha ha! Right now we have a mix of the old guard who are probably 50+ in age who remember and were there during the rough times and the new fan who has only known glory. Some of these new fans will have only known all seater stadiums and the coloured wigs/clappers/ fanzone days. While the old guard are denounced by some for being grumpy old men and stick in the mud Luddite's, it is that very same attitude that got them through week after week when we really were dog shit. Weaker fans would have jumped on the rag bandwaggon as half the country did.

Pep might be arguably the greatest coach in the world but he has been here five minutes and may only be here three years. I am sure he meant well in what he said but he needs to look up our history and understand why we are as we are. He can of course say all that is the past, we need to look forward and move on. In part he is right. Once we do though we become 'Just another successful club' people want to latch onto and something is lost. Some will say it is a good thing but it will be a sad day when it eventually happens.

Do you not understand that people are saying when you have already got the message across but still keep on at something you are flogging a dead horse... people are now grasping at straw after conceding the message was heard, using things that UEFA haven't even approved as the reason for the booing to continue? Would you rather City not bother with the CL? UEFA aren't going away they run the competition.
I know I still boo my ex loudly whenever I see her.

Granted it made her mothers funeral awkward but she did cost me a fortune over a four year period.

Last edited:
Ha ha! Right now we have a mix of the old guard who are probably 50+ in age who remember and were there during the rough times and the new fan who has only known glory. Some of these new fans will have only known all seater stadiums and the coloured wigs/clappers/ fanzone days. While the old guard are denounced by some for being grumpy old men and stick in the mud Luddite's, it is that very same attitude that got them through week after week when we really were dog shit. Weaker fans would have jumped on the rag bandwaggon as half the country did.

Pep might be arguably the greatest coach in the world but he has been here five minutes and may only be here three years. I am sure he meant well in what he said but he needs to look up our history and understand why we are as we are. He can of course say all that is the past, we need to look forward and move on. In part he is right. Once we do though we become 'Just another successful club' people want to latch onto and something is lost. Some will say it is a good thing but it will be a sad day when it eventually happens.

You're right mate, we've got a pretty unique fan base. There's a fella in his 60s who sits in front of me and he only comes to moan. Never heard him say anything positive about the team in 5 years. He just wants to complain about referees, or Kolarov misplacing a pass, Sterling missing a chance etc. When we've been shit for so long, it's quite difficult for some to adjust.

We've had a core of 30-50k match going fans for the last 30 years. Usually towards the lower end, but even at our worst we could have sold 50k for a derby, big semi final, or league title run in or whatever. It's just we didn't have any semi finals or league title run ins during the 80s and 90s. We've got the same core match going attendance, it's just now we're brilliant, so we get towards the 50k mark and above regularly.

If we went shit again, got relegated, appointed Frank Clark as manager and were insipid to watch, I've got no doubt our attendances would slip back towards the 30k mark. No problem with that for me, that's just our match going regulars. We've maybe attracted an extra 5-10k fans who are tourists, international students etc who would have never come 20 years ago. But their numbers are still quite small. Compare that to the 30 odd thousand the Shite have every week bussing in from London, Doncaster, Belfast, Oslo etc.

City have still not attracted that extra 20-30k plastics who just support a club because they're insecure and desperately want to be associated with success. I'm sure it will happen eventually and those numbers will grow. I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing though. Who gives a toss if the seats are filled up with tourists in half and half scarves? It won't add much to the match day experience for me.

It's funny, City used to get praised for having 30k turning up in the 2nd division. Now we're getting slaughtered for only having 30k at a Champions League game. So what these people are saying, is that basically we're shit because we can't attract a load of glory hunting fans that want to be associated with success. I'm afraid that mob over the road stole a march on us with that. If you want to go and see a crowd of glory hunters, take yourself over to Trafford once a fortnight.

I don't know why everyone is always pretending they don't matter, take your head out of the sand the club has come a long way so attendances very much do matter now to the club(maybe not to you personally but some of us are thinking of the club first and perhaps that's one of the ways in which the fanbase needs to change).

Simply saying the fanbase needs to change though isn't right, there are thousands of people on the waiting list to get a season ticket and the fans who go every week are usually the fans who go every week night. I don't think our support is any different to any other club, we are special and have an identity in the sense that we have stuck by the club in the direst of times but spending wise and similar we aren't any different.

The club does everything to get people in but it just shows there that the ticket price barely makes any real difference and it is because there are other reasons people cannot attend. The blokes at work have a go at me for our attendances whilst they attend local teams near here because they are cheap, one of them abandoned going on Leeds every week long ago! The reason they give me for attending local team games is the price and the atmosphere but I guess that being within walking distance of the ground helps too. For me it isn't that easy, the ticket price is 2/3x theirs and then I have to travel 40 miles, all of that costs £100+ a time if you factor in the ticket too. It isn't that much but it isn't something you can do every week.

Now if season ticket holders aren't willing to go then someone like me will probably be the ones filling some of those gaps but as above it isn't always possible to do so and I'll admit I pick and choose when I can go based on who we are playing. For season ticket holders you have to remember the cost is worse, they pay for their seat effectively twice so it is no wonder they choose not to go into the cup scheme and instead watch it on TV. That there is why the gaps are so prominent for a game like last night and if the club were that bothered they would change the cup scheme. Instead even if it was £10, that is £10 more each season ticket holder pays twice for their ticket.

The only way you will get a capacity crowd for a game like last night is if you sell a handful of tickets to tourists which is fine in a capitol like London or Madrid but it is not so easy in Manchester. It is exactly the audience the club is targeting because the core fan group is not going to change although they cannot ignore the core group since they are still the ones who prop up attendances and spend the most money.

the only way to fill the stadium is to have very low ticket prices , it's as simple as that

I feel a bit mixed about the whole fanbase thing to me personally it doesn't matter who has more fans and it shouldn't affect anyone's love of the club or we're attracting the wrong type of fans, so in a way the media are probably keeping the popper glory hunter types away. So maybe even our wider support will have an understanding of how the hardcore match going support feels in a way which is probably a good thing right?

On the other hand I realise what the club is aiming for, what the owner wants and I too want the club to compete with the top clubs in all regards.

I think we should just accept that some people are just naturally stubborn and militant and that they're only happy when they're miserable. The irony of the whole situation is bizarre and laughable.

Brilliant effort from the South Stand singers and the 1894 flag bearers last night. Great performance by the team as well.

It would be nice for the ground to sell out for the Champs League regularly but It's not a big deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.