Pep: 'The players deserve a full stadium, we need our fans!'

It's a bit more than that. Not read all the thread but has anyone mentioned the difficulty in getting to evening matches. Our journey on Sat or Sun normally takes us 45mins. For an evening K O it is 2 hours and sometimes more. A lot of wasted fuel and a lot of frustration. Football last night was magic, but because of travel difficulties we are seriously thinking of giving evening games up next season. Would a later KO make it better or worse for attendance? Or do UEFA dictate the KO time anyway?

surely it would give a chance to local fans though ? if its cheap enough they will be the ones attending and benefiting the most, travel doesnt really come into it.

If you want to go, go.

If you don't, don't.

Honestly don't understand why anyone would care which group another person is in.
I think we should just accept that some people are just naturally stubborn and militant and that they're only happy when they're miserable. The irony of the whole situation is bizarre and laughable.[/QUOTE

If this was aimed at our TV watching support who probably could afford and get to a few games at the very least, do actually want to try and get to a few games now and the stadium is packed for the next games(maybe even tickets hard to get) would we say making a few comments that the rags have a field day over was worth it in the long run?

Well Pep give me half of your salary and I'll gladly be there. Football is a ripoff these days as has been brought up many times already. I care more about paying my mortgage with my mediocre salary, paying bills and eating food. More so than I do for paying to watch a football match that has gone up way past inflation. So people like you can be a multi millionaire. Football is a luxury item not a necessity like other things in life.

I don't begrudge the fact that everybody in the upper echelon of football are rich, just remember that not everybody else is.

You're right mate, we've got a pretty unique fan base. There's a fella in his 60s who sits in front of me and he only comes to moan. Never heard him say anything positive about the team in 5 years. He just wants to complain about referees, or Kolarov misplacing a pass, Sterling missing a chance etc. When we've been shit for so long, it's quite difficult for some to adjust.

We've had a core of 30-50k match going fans for the last 30 years. Usually towards the lower end, but even at our worst we could have sold 50k for a derby, big semi final, or league title run in or whatever. It's just we didn't have any semi finals or league title run ins during the 80s and 90s. We've got the same core match going attendance, it's just now we're brilliant, so we get towards the 50k mark and above regularly.

If we went shit again, got relegated, appointed Frank Clark as manager and were insipid to watch, I've got no doubt our attendances would slip back towards the 30k mark. No problem with that for me, that's just our match going regulars. We've maybe attracted an extra 5-10k fans who are tourists, international students etc who would have never come 20 years ago. But their numbers are still quite small. Compare that to the 30 odd thousand the Shite have every week bussing in from London, Doncaster, Belfast, Oslo etc.

City have still not attracted that extra 20-30k plastics who just support a club because they're insecure and desperately want to be associated with success. I'm sure it will happen eventually and those numbers will grow. I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing though. Who gives a toss if the seats are filled up with tourists in half and half scarves? It won't add much to the match day experience for me.

It's funny, City used to get praised for having 30k turning up in the 2nd division. Now we're getting slaughtered for only having 30k at a Champions League game. So what these people are saying, is that basically we're shit because we can't attract a load of glory hunting fans that want to be associated with success. I'm afraid that mob over the road stole a march on us with that. If you want to go and see a crowd of glory hunters, take yourself over to Trafford once a fortnight.

we have loads of fans though who have just stopped going, we dont need loads of tourists or glory hunters to fill our ground. reasonably priced season tickets/tickets and wed sell out or come close every game. theres upto 2 million people in the manchester/greater manchester area. i think we should be targeting them more. you saw it when we expanded the ground the demand for the cheaper tickets was huge and blues who used to go or locals will come back.

Would we even be having this conversation had the game not been postponed.

I believe we sold well in excess of 40,000 tickets - and there would have been a considerable walk up on the night as beforehand everyone was focussed on the Derby and had forgotten about this game. I also don't believe Paul Wilson's figure for the attendance.

Would we even be having this conversation had the game not been postponed.

I believe we sold well in excess of 40,000 tickets - and there would have been a considerable walk up on the night as beforehand everyone was focussed on the Derby and had forgotten about this game. I also don't believe Paul Wilson's figure for the attendance.
I think that's where the difference of opinion comes from in this thread some of us believe it was about that extra 10 thousand the club wants and he would still have said it.

Hands up. I don't go anymore. Even after they uprooted and moved nearer to Blackley. Nothing much would tempt me back to the 'matchday experience'...even getting hold of a ticket, from comments on here seems like a logistics nightmare.
I shall stick to the boozer TV, and the odd corpy freebie.
Honestly, I simply grew out of it I think...

These Internet seat counters don't seem to get it that there are seats to count at CL games because City don't have many day trippers, out of towners and casuals as you have clearly indicated above, they really are as thick as pig shit when push comes to shove.
I wouldn't be so sure. Loads of or seasoncard holders come from quite long distances. Maybe no more than any other club, but the idea that 70% of City's match-going fans live in manchester is rubbish

The downside of having 44,000 seasoncard holders is that there isn't much scope for getting new fans into the habit. Every league game it's more or less the same fans going each game so if 30,000 seasoncard holders have opted out of CL scheme (I am plucking that figure out of thin air) who takes up the slack? This is the problem. A lot of regular fans have got fed up with the CL scheme for a whole host of reasons, travel, inconvenience, money, poor entertainment (90% dire) etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.