Pepe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pepe

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemesport.com/368106-manchester-city-rejoin-race-to-sign-pepe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemesport.com/368106-manch ... -sign-pepe</a>?

Kippaxstreetheadache said:
Does no-one care about the repercussions signing Pepe could have for Nastasic?

Pepe would expect to play every week, he'd be on a big wage and Nastasic wouldn't get a look in. Nastasic is a rare gem, a young player with the ability and hunger to thrive at this club and on every stage.

He could become an adopted blue, playing most of his career here. Players with real quality and an affinity with a club don't come around very often. I really don't want to see his progress hampered, he could become a stalwart for this club.

This is would prove a short-sighted transfer IMO.

It'd be like Real trying to bring in an upgrade on Varane now, whom he'd see himself outgrowing eventually anyway. It'd harm his confidence and just set his progress back a year or two.

Irony is Varane got his chance and took Pepe's place. Real are placing a lot of faith in Varane, as we should with Nastasic.

I think if we brought in a centre half to compete with Nastasic, i.e a smaller name with less playing time demands, that would prove a wise move.

As much as Pepe is a good player, and would certainly strengthen the squad. He's not going to want to move from one club playing under study to a young prodigy to another club in the exact same position.

I just think this is a short-sighted move, and I really don't want to see Nastastic's development hampered.

Anyone else share my concerns?

Nastasic got through last season relatively unchallenged for a starting berth, although pepe shall expect to start that alone doesn't garentee him a spot it's a big year for nasty time will tell if he's the world class center-back we hope and think he is... it's up to him to show his quality and dislodge pepe and make that spot his own I'm a firm believer in the fact that competition can only be a good thing for Nasty and Vinnie alike

BigOscar said:
bugsyblue said:
NipHolmes said:
No chance.

Cole, Baines, Alaba and Alba all ahead of him.

Agree with all that except for Baines, who is about the same level as Coentrao and Clichy. I have a lot of mates who are Madrid fans and one reason they claim they lost the title last year was because of Coentrao's frailties.
Well your friends are simply wrong. Coentrao is a scapegoat, due to being linked to Mourinho. (nice to see other clubs have them aswell as us!) Real only failed to win 5 games in the league when Coentrao played, in which they conceeded a total of 5 goals, none of which had anything to do with Coentrao.

They could try and blame him for the CL loss to Dortmund, but again, none of the goals had anything to do with him, or they coud try the cup final loss, but he was taken off before Atletico scored the winner. His defending had literally nothing to do with any of Madrids dropped points last year or cup exits, which is genuinely quite impressive

They were more comparing him to Marcelo and what he contributes to Madrid's play (or what he doesn't in their opinion) rather than how solid he is at the back. However those stats surprise me. I've personally only seen him play a handful times but never been overly impressed but clearly he's statistically quite solid.

Kippaxstreetheadache said:
Does no-one care about the repercussions signing Pepe could have for Nastasic?

Pepe would expect to play every week, he'd be on a big wage and Nastasic wouldn't get a look in. Nastasic is a rare gem, a young player with the ability and hunger to thrive at this club and on every stage.

He could become an adopted blue, playing most of his career here. Players with real quality and an affinity with a club don't come around very often. I really don't want to see his progress hampered, he could become a stalwart for this club.

This is would prove a short-sighted transfer IMO.

It'd be like Real trying to bring in an upgrade on Varane now, whom he'd see himself outgrowing eventually anyway. It'd harm his confidence and just set his progress back a year or two.

Irony is Varane got his chance and took Pepe's place. Real are placing a lot of faith in Varane, as we should with Nastasic.

I think if we brought in a centre half to compete with Nastasic, i.e a smaller name with less playing time demands, that would prove a wise move.

As much as Pepe is a good player, and would certainly strengthen the squad. He's not going to want to move from one club playing under study to a young prodigy to another club in the exact same position.

I just think this is a short-sighted move, and I really don't want to see Nastastic's development hampered.

Anyone else share my concerns?

There really is no rush with Nastasic, and Pepe is the perfect age to not only come in and give us experience and bite to the defence now (lets not forget we need to start doing better in Europe yesterday, not in a few years time), but can be feasibly phased out over the next few seasons to bring Nastasic back in as number 1. There's a good reason Ancelotti wants to keep him despite Varane.

bugsyblue said:
BigOscar said:
kenzie115 said:
Pepe would be a good signing but I don't understand all the love for Coentrao, he has just as many defensive misgivings as Kolarov. The only reason I can think of as to why people prefer him is that he's fast, but we already have a fast left back who's a better defender than Coentrao.

At the moment we have two options at left back, a solid defender who's comfortable on the ball but not great in the final third and a wing back who lacks Clichy's defensive qualities but is much better going forward, crossing and shooting. If you swap Kolarov for Coentrao you have Clichy and a poor man's Clichy. All in my opinion of course.
I have to disagree with absolutely everything you said to be honest. Coentrao is infinetly better defensively than Kolarov and is a far better technical player going forward than him aswell. As for him being a poor mans Clichy, I have no idea what you even mean by that, as he is absolutely nothing like Clichy.

Coentrao is second choice to Marcelo for a reason. While I don't agree he has the defensive frailties of Kolarov he isn't an upgrade on Clichy in my opinion.
When they're both fit, who plays in the big games? Those in which the full backs actually have to defend rather than just attack all game.

He's no Phil Jones. :)

qrvpeKT.jpg

bugsyblue said:
BigOscar said:
bugsyblue said:
Agree with all that except for Baines, who is about the same level as Coentrao and Clichy. I have a lot of mates who are Madrid fans and one reason they claim they lost the title last year was because of Coentrao's frailties.
Well your friends are simply wrong. Coentrao is a scapegoat, due to being linked to Mourinho. (nice to see other clubs have them aswell as us!) Real only failed to win 5 games in the league when Coentrao played, in which they conceeded a total of 5 goals, none of which had anything to do with Coentrao.

They could try and blame him for the CL loss to Dortmund, but again, none of the goals had anything to do with him, or they coud try the cup final loss, but he was taken off before Atletico scored the winner. His defending had literally nothing to do with any of Madrids dropped points last year or cup exits, which is genuinely quite impressive

They were more comparing him to Marcelo and what he contributes to Madrid's play (or what he doesn't in their opinion) rather than how solid he is at the back. However those stats surprise me. I've personally only seen him play a handful times but never been overly impressed but clearly he's statistically quite solid.
Marcelo is defenitely a lot more visually attractive in the way he plays and more likely to score himself, I agree, but it's the whole "different ways to skin a cat" thing really. They dropped the exact same amount of points with Marcelo playing as they did with Coentrao playing, but in higher scoring games. As a long time watcher of him, it just makes me confused when people say he can't defend, as it simply isn't true (in my opinion at least)

bugsyblue said:
NipHolmes said:
FrancoisToure said:
My opinion is you would have Coentrao and a poor man's Coentrao. Combination of Kolarov and Clichy.

-- Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:09 am --

He is second choice to Marcelo because Marcelo is the best LB on the planet IMO.

No chance.

Cole, Baines, Alaba and Alba all ahead of him.

This is like how Malcolm Allison misled other clubs from trying to sign Colin Bell before we landed him from Bury. Big Mal is quoted as saying of Colin "Can't head it, can't pass it, he's hopeless".

Pepe would be a great signing, and he hates mourinho haha, that would be fun to watch
I think Demichelis would be good too, maybe for 1 or 2 seasons. i know people here don't rate him but he is an expirienced CB, played for Bayern for 7 years in every competition and he knows pellegrini since was 21,when they were at river plate,( mascherano was also in there) and he probably understands mp's tactics probably better than anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.