Pepe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pepe

Pepe can play both RCB and LCB but has been playing mainly as a right sided CB when he has played recently the past 1-2 seasons and its been a bit since he's played on the left so while u could say he could be a threat to nasty, not necessarily. He'll most likely be backing up kompany and competing with lescott right now if he signs while nasty is injured

cmdub said:
Pepe can play both RCB and LCB but has been playing mainly as a right sided CB when he has played recently the past 1-2 seasons and its been a bit since he's played on the left so while u could say he could be a threat to nasty, not necessarily. He'll most likely be backing up kompany and competing with lescott right now if he signs while nasty is injured

But Kompany can play on the left as well. He's played on the left this pre season with Boyatta. For thos eworried about Nasty. Lets not run away from competition. Playing games is important but compeeting for a starting spot is also important. We saw how the lack of competition effected a lot of players last season. IMO to become a great club you need great competitors and it starts on the practice field. Players pushing each other for thier spots makes them better. Learning how to deal with competition on the practice field will improve how they deal with competition on the pitch in real games.

ManCityTom said:
NipHolmes said:
FrancoisToure said:
My opinion is you would have Coentrao and a poor man's Coentrao. Combination of Kolarov and Clichy.

-- Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:09 am --

He is second choice to Marcelo because Marcelo is the best LB on the planet IMO.

No chance.

Cole, Baines, Alaba and Alba all ahead of him.

Honestly Baines?

Will give you Cole, Alaba and Alba though!

Lahm would be up their as well as he can play on both sides.

Yes honestly Baines. people can pick faults with his defensive work but he struggles due to how high up the pitch he was asked to play. He literally was their main outlet.

I rate the lad as the best LB in the prem due to Cole ageing. Both are better than Marcelo and I could not care a fuck if anyone disagrees because I am that certain of my own opinion. Marcelo is a good LB but he is made to look better than he is by the excellent pairing Madrid have at the back. If Baines had them to fall back on then I reckon he would get higher reviews/ratings.

Dani Alves and Maicon are two of the same player, both offensively sound but both shit at defensive work. They are/were both considered as the best RB's in the world at times yet Baines who is a similar player but left sided, gets hammered. He made more chances than anyone in the league, he covered the most ground and was a focal point for his side yet is a LB. the lad is the real deal, I'd buy him here tomorrow if I was in charge, I'd instantly utilise him as a left winger with Clichy behind him. Dzeko would be a 30 goal machine with him and Navas supplying wide ammo.

To the guy who said Coentrao was said to be a reason for their decline, absolute bollocks. The fault was the civil war and the fact that Jose benched top palyers to make a point; Casillas, Ramos, Pepe and Higuain being the cases in point be it for a few games or half a season in Casillas's case. Barca again were shit hot in the league and Dortmund were valiant in the CL. Coentrao is treated poorly by their players and fans, watch this <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/real-madrid-defender-fabio-coentrao-1886883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ao-1886883</a> proper wankers that Madrid lot.

Jimfv1 said:
Kippaxstreetheadache said:
Does no-one care about the repercussions signing Pepe could have for Nastasic?

Pepe would expect to play every week, he'd be on a big wage and Nastasic wouldn't get a look in. Nastasic is a rare gem, a young player with the ability and hunger to thrive at this club and on every stage.

He could become an adopted blue, playing most of his career here. Players with real quality and an affinity with a club don't come around very often. I really don't want to see his progress hampered, he could become a stalwart for this club.

This is would prove a short-sighted transfer IMO.

It'd be like Real trying to bring in an upgrade on Varane now, whom he'd see himself outgrowing eventually anyway. It'd harm his confidence and just set his progress back a year or two.

Irony is Varane got his chance and took Pepe's place. Real are placing a lot of faith in Varane, as we should with Nastasic.

I think if we brought in a centre half to compete with Nastasic, i.e a smaller name with less playing time demands, that would prove a wise move.

As much as Pepe is a good player, and would certainly strengthen the squad. He's not going to want to move from one club playing under study to a young prodigy to another club in the exact same position.

I just think this is a short-sighted move, and I really don't want to see Nastastic's development hampered.

Anyone else share my concerns?

Not really, Pepe's 30 and won't be here for too long, he'll play in the tougher games in the Champions League alongside Kompany, but if Kompany was injured then Nastasic will play alongside Pepe. With 70 odd games to play they'll be plenty of games for Pepe, Nastasic and Kompany to play. We don't need backup players, we did that last season to fill out the squad and that didn't get us anywhere. We need competition for places but should have 4 centrebacks good enough to start, and a combination of one old head and one young one is a good mix in most domestic games. In the Champions League we need more experience and Kompany himself doesn't have enough, hence Pepe could be a target, there aren't many centre-backs more experienced than him for big European games. He plays Barca at least 3 times a season, wothout counting the Champions League games he has played for Madrid.
This all day long.

City plan final £20m Pepe bid with Pellegrini fearing for defence after Nastasic injury

By Chris Wheeler

Manchester City are ready to make a final attempt to sign Real Madrid defender Pepe.

New City boss Manuel Pellegrini was anxious to buy a centre-back even before losing Matija Nastasic for the first month of the new campaign with an ankle injury and then seeing his side concede eight goals in their last three pre-season games.

Pepe has always been Pellegrini’s first-choice but Real rejected a £15m offer for the Portugal international last month and insist they want him to stay at the Bernabeu.

City are set to mount another bid before they kick off the new season at home to Newcastle on Monday and hope that an improved offer in excess of £20m for a player who turned 30 in February may convince Real to change their mind.

Reports in Spain claimed that City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain has flown to Madrid to try and broker a deal. However, if the Spaniards refuse to negotiate then he will accept defeat and look elsewhere

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2392333/Manchester-City-lining-final-bid-Real-Madrid-defender-Pepe.html#ixzz2btCmREki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2btCmREki</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2392333/Manchester-City-lining-final-bid-Real-Madrid-defender-Pepe.html#ixzz2btCSQ5Vf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2btCSQ5Vf</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Really suprised at this. Why not go down the road and collect Agger who is younger, cheaper, better and comes with less baggage/red cards.

Spanish clubs look towards our league for quality defenders, not the other way round.

Pellegrini59 said:
Really suprised at this. Why not go down the road and collect Agger who is younger, cheaper, better and comes with less baggage/red cards.

Spanish clubs look towards our league for quality defenders, not the other way round.

I think we're after - what I believe is known in the trade as - "a high liner"

Pellegrini59 said:

Pepe and Pellegrini have worked together before and Pepe is far more experienced than Agger.

Both good defenmders, but I think Pepe would be a superb buy because of his leadership and experience

Doubt it will happen though

Pellegrini59 said:

If Agger's going anywhere it's surely Barca. Didn't he turn down the chance to join us last summer, before we signed Nastasic?

Please let this happen, we need a mean bastard in defense. Him and Kompany would make any front line shit themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.