Pepe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pepe

ninjamonkey said:
Proelia said:
NipHolmes said:
No chance.

Cole, Baines, Alaba and Alba all ahead of him.

Just about to put them names down

Criminal to put Baines in the same category as those other 3. Baines is a very average defender that is very good going forward and seems to be flavour of the month right now because Everton essentially based their entire game around him and Fellaini last season

And Cole is aging, he was probably the best left-back around about 5 years ago, but not consistently anymore, and Alba isn't a patch on Marcelo.

Coentrao's good and has age on his side over Clichy and Kolarov, but Marcelo is younger and better, and has a lot more fight in him.

NipHolmes said:
FrancoisToure said:
kenzie115 said:
Pepe would be a good signing but I don't understand all the love for Coentrao, he has just as many defensive misgivings as Kolarov. The only reason I can think of as to why people prefer him is that he's fast, but we already have a fast left back who's a better defender than Coentrao.

At the moment we have two options at left back, a solid defender who's comfortable on the ball but not great in the final third and a wing back who lacks Clichy's defensive qualities but is much better going forward, crossing and shooting. If you swap Kolarov for Coentrao you have Clichy and a poor man's Clichy. All in my opinion of course.

My opinion is you would have Coentrao and a poor man's Coentrao. Combination of Kolarov and Clichy.

-- Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:09 am --

bugsyblue said:
Coentrao is second choice to Marcelo for a reason. While I don't agree he has the defensive frailties of Kolarov he isn't an upgrade on Clichy in my opinion.

He is second choice to Marcelo because Marcelo is the best LB on the planet IMO.

No chance.

Honestly Baines?

Will give you Cole, Alaba and Alba though!

Lahm would be up their as well as he can play on both sides.

NipHolmes said:
FrancoisToure said:
kenzie115 said:
Pepe would be a good signing but I don't understand all the love for Coentrao, he has just as many defensive misgivings as Kolarov. The only reason I can think of as to why people prefer him is that he's fast, but we already have a fast left back who's a better defender than Coentrao.

At the moment we have two options at left back, a solid defender who's comfortable on the ball but not great in the final third and a wing back who lacks Clichy's defensive qualities but is much better going forward, crossing and shooting. If you swap Kolarov for Coentrao you have Clichy and a poor man's Clichy. All in my opinion of course.

My opinion is you would have Coentrao and a poor man's Coentrao. Combination of Kolarov and Clichy.

bugsyblue said:
Coentrao is second choice to Marcelo for a reason. While I don't agree he has the defensive frailties of Kolarov he isn't an upgrade on Clichy in my opinion.

He is second choice to Marcelo because Marcelo is the best LB on the planet IMO.

No chance.

Agree with all that except for Baines, who is about the same level as Coentrao and Clichy. I have a lot of mates who are Madrid fans and one reason they claim they lost the title last year was because of Coentrao's frailties.

Does no-one care about the repercussions signing Pepe could have for Nastasic?

Pepe would expect to play every week, he'd be on a big wage and Nastasic wouldn't get a look in. Nastasic is a rare gem, a young player with the ability and hunger to thrive at this club and on every stage.

He could become an adopted blue, playing most of his career here. Players with real quality and an affinity with a club don't come around very often. I really don't want to see his progress hampered, he could become a stalwart for this club.

This is would prove a short-sighted transfer IMO.

It'd be like Real trying to bring in an upgrade on Varane now, whom he'd see himself outgrowing eventually anyway. It'd harm his confidence and just set his progress back a year or two.

Irony is Varane got his chance and took Pepe's place. Real are placing a lot of faith in Varane, as we should with Nastasic.

I think if we brought in a centre half to compete with Nastasic, i.e a smaller name with less playing time demands, that would prove a wise move.

As much as Pepe is a good player, and would certainly strengthen the squad. He's not going to want to move from one club playing under study to a young prodigy to another club in the exact same position.

I just think this is a short-sighted move, and I really don't want to see Nastastic's development hampered.

Anyone else share my concerns?

We need hard ruthless defenders that dominate, Nastasic & Richards are young, have potential, but both get caught ball watching far too often. Lescott can not distribute and panics at times.
Zabba / Kompany / Cliche are consistent performers, we need a strong hard defender that will bully forwards to improve our defense. Pepe would be good, he is tall, and pretty quick with loads of experience, and can put strikers off their game.
We miss the best defensive midfielder in the World, who allowed Yaya to go forward and broke up most opposition moves - Nigel De Jong - Selling him was Mancini's poorest decision in my view!!!
Barry or Garcia have no where near filled his boots in midfield!

bugsyblue said:
NipHolmes said:
FrancoisToure said:

No chance.

Agree with all that except for Baines, who is about the same level as Coentrao and Clichy. I have a lot of mates who are Madrid fans and one reason they claim they lost the title last year was because of Coentrao's frailties.
Well your friends are simply wrong. Coentrao is a scapegoat, due to being linked to Mourinho. (nice to see other clubs have them aswell as us!) Real only failed to win 5 games in the league when Coentrao played, in which they conceeded a total of 5 goals, none of which had anything to do with Coentrao.

They could try and blame him for the CL loss to Dortmund, but again, none of the goals had anything to do with him, or they coud try the cup final loss, but he was taken off before Atletico scored the winner. His defending had literally nothing to do with any of Madrids dropped points last year or cup exits, which is genuinely quite impressive

Kippaxstreetheadache said:

Pepe would expect to play every week, he'd be on a big wage and Nastasic wouldn't get a look in. Nastasic is a rare gem, a young player with the ability and hunger to thrive at this club and on every stage.

He could become an adopted blue, playing most of his career here. Players with real quality and an affinity with a club don't come around very often. I really don't want to see his progress hampered, he could become a stalwart for this club.

It'd be like Real trying to bring in an upgrade on Varane now, whom he'd see himself outgrowing eventually anyway. It'd harm his confidence and just set his progress back a year or two.

Irony is Varane got his chance and took Pepe's place. Real are placing a lot of faith in Varane, as we should with Nastasic.

I think if we brought in a centre half to compete with Nastasic, i.e a smaller name with less playing time demands, that would prove a wise move.

As much as Pepe is a good player, and would certainly strengthen the squad. He's not going to want to move from one club playing under study to a young prodigy to another club in the exact same position.

I just think this is a short-sighted move, and I really don't want to see Nastastic's development hampered.

Yes completely. That's why we should be going for someone like Sakho IMO. A young player who can compete with Nasty.

Kippaxstreetheadache said:

Not really, Pepe's 30 and won't be here for too long, he'll play in the tougher games in the Champions League alongside Kompany, but if Kompany was injured then Nastasic will play alongside Pepe. With 70 odd games to play they'll be plenty of games for Pepe, Nastasic and Kompany to play. We don't need backup players, we did that last season to fill out the squad and that didn't get us anywhere. We need competition for places but should have 4 centrebacks good enough to start, and a combination of one old head and one young one is a good mix in most domestic games. In the Champions League we need more experience and Kompany himself doesn't have enough, hence Pepe could be a target, there aren't many centre-backs more experienced than him for big European games. He plays Barca at least 3 times a season, wothout counting the Champions League games he has played for Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.