Pep's contract situation

Just thinking tonight…. I don’t think he will stay.

This summer Gundogans contract is up and Bernardo is likely to leave. Probably his 2 favourite people. KDB is probably going to start declining slowly next season due to age and body type.

So if we want to admit it or not, we are gonna need a midfield overhaul and these aren’t the type of players you can replace easily.

A lot of the attention is now placed on Haaland and not the team ethic it has been for the last years with us having no ‘star’ above the others. Not for a second saying he doesn’t love Erling but I think Pep gets his coaching kicks in other ways.

He’s done his work with Foden and I’m not sure he gets much satisfaction working with a 27 year old Grealish who he probably can’t improve.

So the question is, has he got the energy to go again for 3 years or so and does he have the motivation to build a new midfield. I don’t think he does. He’s been here ages, built 2/3 amazing teams so he probably wants to enjoy life for a bit.

70/30 he goes is my feeling tonight.
I’m genuinely undecided as to whether he will stay or not, but I don’t think having to replace Bernado and / or Gundogan is likely to be a big factor in his decision. After the money we’ve generated this year, we could easily go out next summer and buy two world class midfielders, and then we’d suddenly be talking about how strong the squad is. I think Gundogan is likely stay anyway, and De Bruyne will be here for a while yet together with Rodri. Revitalising the squad with new players could actually be a positive for him staying.

Whether he can do another 2/3 years spending a lot of time away from his family is presumably the critical issue, and we simply don’t know the answer to that. The other thing which makes me think that he won’t stay is the failure to appoint a higher profile assistant manager this summer. But, again, I’m 50/50 as to whether he’ll sign another contract.

Where is he going to go ?
National team, the part time aspect & not having much time to work with players would do his head in.
MLS, not sure the poor standard of football would be of any interest to Pep.
Italy, cant see him being interested.
Not sure where else, Barcelona again, nah, just cant see it.
Fcuk it, he is obviously off to the rags
Exactly, not like his head can be turned by another club, he has all he needs here. I think there's a very good chance that City will be Pep's last job in club football.

This is the bit what I was thinking, where would he go?

He won’t go to another PL club.

I do think he would be tempted by Serie A. It’s the only ‘top‘ league hes not done. He’s from that generation where that was the top league so he might have an urge to try there. We had those strong rumours a few years ago that he might go to Juve. He could easily take Juve back to the top of Italian football in a short period of time.

But, I don’t think he’d do that now.

I think when he leaves us he has 2 years off. Takes over an Italian club for 2/3 years then maybe a bash at international football and then calling it a day around 60.
Italy is a good shout......I recommend Palermo ;-)

Just thinking tonight…. I don’t think he will stay.

This summer Gundogans contract is up and Bernardo is likely to leave. Probably his 2 favourite people. KDB is probably going to start declining slowly next season due to age and body type.

So if we want to admit it or not, we are gonna need a midfield overhaul and these aren’t the type of players you can replace easily.

A lot of the attention is now placed on Haaland and not the team ethic it has been for the last years with us having no ‘star’ above the others. Not for a second saying he doesn’t love Erling but I think Pep gets his coaching kicks in other ways.

He’s done his work with Foden and I’m not sure he gets much satisfaction working with a 27 year old Grealish who he probably can’t improve.

So the question is, has he got the energy to go again for 3 years or so and does he have the motivation to build a new midfield. I don’t think he does. He’s been here ages, built 2/3 amazing teams so he probably wants to enjoy life for a bit.

70/30 he goes is my feeling tonight.
I'm not sure, I think we might offer Gundogan an extra year. He seems settled and it's not like he will lose any pace! I think you're right on Bernardo though but I think it will allow us to maybe add an extra dimension to our midfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move for Bellingham as I think under Pep he would become world class easily.

I was surprised to read that Grealish is 27! For some reason I thought he was about 25. To be honest I think if he carries on playing wide midfield for us then he is wasted. He has the skill, control and drive to play more centrally. I don't think anyone can replace KdB and we will need to manage him, but maybe Grealish can move into the middle to see what he can offer. I can imagine Pep wanting to improve him.

Above all else though, we now have a real talisman player. That player who can turn the key games for us. In the past we've had Sterling scuffing chances wide but now we've got someone who is genuinely world class with potentially no one better than him in the world. I'm sure Pep wants to make him into the greatest striker of all time, no question about that. If we'd had him for the last 2 years I think we'd have won the lot.

I don't think Foden is the finished article yet either.

I kind of think there's enough questions and challenges to keep him going.

I think he will renew for a couple of years and after that, it's going to be the England job for him. He'll have worked with Walker, Stones, Foden, Grealish, Phillips, Sterling, Palmer, potentially Bellingham too. Throw in players like Kane and Maguire who he wanted to buy and the likes of Saka, Alexander Arnold, Mount etc and he will think he's a chance of becoming a manager who's won the lot.

Ultimately if he goes, he goes. He will go down as one of the greatest managers in English football. He created the "Ederson" keeper, he introduced possession football and he played without strikers. He made fullbacks one of the most important positions on the pitch and his influence on Klopp in particular is huge. It's also hard to think of any players who got worse under him - the number of players who went from decent to brilliant is huge. In my lifetime I think the only one who could come close to him is Wenger and he was a visionary but I think Pep is well above him.

Probably never happening but it would be interesting to see how he'd do shaping a team with little money behind it and just rely on his football brain to rouse it from its slumbers. A Sheffield Wednesday or a Sunderland, maybe? Or Roma for somewhere less glamorous.

Last edited:
I always felt that Pep enjoys the challenge of working with new players rather than being overly attached to favourites.

But as everyone will keep saying, the club is designed for him. No politics, no drama, complete trust in him. If he likes the look of a player the club will do everything in its power to get him. And he trusts the club. He won't get that there anywhere else.

Probably never happening but it would be interesting to see how he'd do shaping a team with little money behind it and just rely on his football brain to rouse it from its slumbers. A Sheffield Wednesday or a Sunderland, maybe? Or Roma for somewhere less glamorous.
It’d also be interesting to see how Lewis Hamilton would do in a shit car but it’s strange how the best drivers get the best cars, just like the best managers get the biggest clubs

It wouldn't happen. Pep is an elite manager who's skill is in handling elite players. Doubtless he would improve players at every level but if he leaves City with some mileage left in his tank then it will only be elite jobs that are offered to him. That is his speciality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.