Pep's contract situation

Nah mate. First he said Pep needed to be sacked. Then he said Pep wants to leave. Then he said he had no plan B. Then he said he should have brought subs on. Not every opinion in football is equal, most are stupid and this guy is clearly an ignoramus because of the sum total of those posts, not the one that you read in isolation.
But you said: '"wHy DIdn'T hE bRInG aNy SUbs oN?" is the other refrain of the football ignoramus.'

You were referring to the expression in the definitive whilst responding to him directly. If you were referring to him specifically whilst responding to him directly, you would not have said "THE football ignoramus". As if anyone who says it is an ignoramus.

You claim that not every opinion in football is equal, but what makes you the arbiter of what is/isn't valid? Do you happen to hold any opinions that are "less equal" than others? Do you happen to hold any footballing opinions that are "stupid"? None of us believe that we do, otherwise we would not hold them. In our own minds we are always correct, but none of us has the managerial pedigree to say them with any authority. That includes you. So whilst we can all agree/disagree on what changes should be made, none of us have the right to call other people names. We're all too unqualified.

Last edited:
"wHy DIdn'T hE bRInG aNy SUbs oN?" is the other refrain of the football ignoramus. I'm surprised you didn't call him "stubborn" too, the unholy trinity. Subs are not some automatic panacea for everything unless you don't know anything about football. Sometimes the team is doing OK and doesn't need disrupting. Other times changes to the existing personnel is a better idea. He made three tactical changes on Saturday and none of them really worked but I see what he was doing.

It was just one of those days, a game of fine margins. We get a couple of them EVERY SINGLE season and sure as night follows day we get idiots on here declaring it to be the manager's fault like football is some binary exact science.

It's not Pep's genius every time we win and it's not his fault every time we lose. He gets judged on the sum total of all his decisions on and off the field because the majority of them pay off.
Why get personal? ignoramus? if we can’t deal with long balls and speed - its a poor show - I DIDN'T say he should be sacked?- show me the text...you get too personal, too often, we are all allowed our opinion, it wasn't going right and we should have used subs, NEVER ONCE SAID HE SHOULD BE SACKED - SHOW ME THE TEXT?
you always get WAY too personal - you seem to have history with this - back off.

Last edited:
I don't mind a wee bit of long ball interspersed with the stuff Mancini brought, that Pellers honed and Pep took to staggeringly new heights, but not ninety minutes of endless passing that just plays into an organised defence's hands, although once they play 'handball' we do get a corner!
But Dave, how can we change how the opposition sets up ? They have 10 men behind the ball. Our possession stats have been our downfall in that teams are happy for us to have the ball. If they're set up right, work hard, shuffle across, get lucky, and counter attack they may just get their rewards. When you watch us we do pass back occasionally to draw them out a bit she so we can get through the lines but more and more teams art biting on that. I wasn't Sterlings best fan but I can know see what he brought in terms of speeding up the attack and getting to the byline. Same with Sane. We don't seem to have that quickness in the final 1/3 as much as we used to so its hard to break down 10 men. It must be frustrating for Pep. I know this is not how he wants to play.

That’s a tad harsh, he should have made more subs, and earlier, on Saturday. Just because he’s a football genius doesn’t make him infallible. Otherwise we might as we well just fuck the forum off if we aren’t allowed to question his decisions.
It's not about whether you can question his choices but more about zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

Pep clearly has a methodology where he makes extensive tactical planning based on the opposition, and rarely makes early subs if the team he has put out are following the instructions. That's his methodology. That methodology has made him one of the most successful managers in club football across three countries. Because it's football even the most successful manager will lose games, but what "happy clappers" on here are saying is that it doesn't make sense to say his methodology doesn't work or that he should change his approach when the same methodology have brought both us and him unprecedented success.

He's the best manager we have ever had no doubt but comments like this always make me roll my eyes. Like we are going to be fighting relegation when Pep leaves. We are far too well run for that to happen. Whenever he decides to call it time we will still be winning titles and cups and signing top players.
That’s what Liverpool fans and United fans thought when dalglish and Ferguson left I imagine.

I fear that the drop off when pep leaves will be enormous.

Tend to agree to a certain degree, keeping hold of Soriano and Txiki is of equal importance, if its a whole change then it could be a different matter however, their remit from the offset was to get Pep in as manager, they've succeeded on that part, football clubs evolve and we are no different to any other club, Pep is the major pull for me in players coming in, the biggest pressure of all would come from us the fans moving forward, you've seen how some on here want his head on a pole when we lose the odd game , Messi was in tears when Pep left Barca and they unravelled pretty quickly when he left , its a shame Arteta left when he did but the man has ambition and fair play to him. The way Vinny Kompany is performing at Burnley is something we should keep an eye on...
Barca didn’t unravel that quickly, Vilanova then Enrique had a fair bit of success. I think their unraveling came from. The boardroom more than their coaches.
Bayern too did okay post Pep. Pick the right candidate and keep the DOF and the philosophy of football consistent and I think we’d be okay. I do think it’s important he stays for another 2 or 3 years though because most of the candidates I see are a couple of years off, like Kompany. Not sure who we’d go for if it was next summer, I did think Ten Hag but thats gone.

i reckon he signs a extension to take him to 10 years at the club, then our higher ups will see how Arteta and Gallardo do over the years. Peps a massive fan of both managers.
I think the club will be watching Vinny’s progress too, especially if he’s in the PL next season.

But Dave, how can we change how the opposition sets up ? They have 10 men behind the ball. Our possession stats have been our downfall in that teams are happy for us to have the ball. If they're set up right, work hard, shuffle across, get lucky, and counter attack they may just get their rewards. When you watch us we do pass back occasionally to draw them out a bit she so we can get through the lines but more and more teams art biting on that. I wasn't Sterlings best fan but I can know see what he brought in terms of speeding up the attack and getting to the byline. Same with Sane. We don't seem to have that quickness in the final 1/3 as much as we used to so its hard to break down 10 men. It must be frustrating for Pep. I know this is not how he wants to play.
But it's the same with the women. I wonder whether this is the standard mode of operation across the entire club. Teams don't have to do much but scuttle across as a group from wing to wing, and are more than happy to boot the ball into a vacant area. We seem to be rooted to the spot when we have the ball. Nobody seems to want to gallop around into a bit of space and break up the defensive shape. I should imagine that the Brentford and CFC games have been gone over with a nit comb and hope that Pep hasn't been left shaking his head and thinking teams are impenetrable. If teams adopt a defensive set up from the scratch, aided and abetted by a compliant ref who just ignores the blatant time wasting, they have to be lucky every time. They were more than lucky on Saturday and got away with as many as three decent pen shouts depending on how you look at the penal offences. They won't all be lucky, and the next game we might just be more clinical - 29 shots and I think we had 8 on target.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.