Pep's contract situation

I do wonder if the best answer to all this media chatter that will carry on especially after Klopp going would be for City and Pep to come to an understanding, he signs another year with an agreement he can decide next January to walk away after a year no problem. There is enough trust for it not even to be written into the contract.

Starting to get a queasy feeling.

KDB aging/ rumours, Eddie rumours, Bernie rumours, looming legal decisions.

Yes... we all knew all of this would happen but the last several seasons have been stellar for one major reason- and Id gut the club to keep him another 4 years knowing after 2 of those we'd be at the absolute apex again as any coach coming in will see our gears slip at least for a few seasons and will never reach the top ones we've seen.

Pep is the greatest manager to ever prowl the touchline. He's not just a good manager he's a man you can expect to be the face and voice of the club. He doesn't cry like a Klopp doesn't throw players under the bus like a Jose... et many others and fucking shreds reporters like a Ginzu through slow roast chicken. Hes a guy you'd love to have a pint with and a guy you know would have your back if you got that pint in the wrong pub.

It's indicative of the end of an era for me... I have enjoyed the ride.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini target more cup silverware -  Manchester Evening News
Pain drove us on: 'Unjust' Anfield defeat spurred Manchester City to title  says Pellegrini | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk
Roberto Mancini says 2011-12 Premier League triumph with Man City is his  best managerial achievement | Daily Mail Online

Before and I have no doubt we will be chasing titles after.

Could be the end of an era but also the start of a new one.

I do wonder if the best answer to all this media chatter that will carry on especially after Klopp going would be for City and Pep to come to an understanding, he signs another year with an agreement he can decide next January to walk away after a year no problem. There is enough trust for it not even to be written into the contract.

Khaldoon needs to persuade Pep to sign a contract extension even if he is not intending to see it out. We have seen before that managers announcing they are going can have a negative impact. Mind you, I am not sure this set of players would slack off just because the manager was set to leave. However, it is not something you want lots of focus on. I’d rather Pep got to the end of a season and then we get an announcement that he is going, whilst the Exec have been working in the background on a replacement. Sadly, it could be hard to keep something like that quiet.

I am hoping Pep will decide he wants to go on with us after next season but, as he himself has said, we are quite obviously nearer the end of his stay now than the start but he has stayed longer than I expected, although I am not overly surprised because this little club with no history that no one cares about is in fact a rather special one. The rest of football doesn’t want to admit that but we know what we are.

I expect Pep’s time to have been the pinnacle of my time watching City, whenever that comes to an end, but I believe we can still have many more great years with different managers and players.

That’s definitely the best way of going about it , quell the press immediately and shut the subject down

Just curious for those of you more in the know on these things - how many players do you think came here because of Pep? Vs how many players came here because of the overall reputation of the club? I know Pep is a huge draw and he’s tied up in the reputation of the club..but just wondering all things being equal who wouldn’t have come without him? When do we get to the point of Madrid - where people come regardless of the coach?

Klopp signed till '26 did he not? And left a year later with loads of time on his contract. If that were to happen the club and all of us would no doubt understand.

But the way I see it, Pep values loyalty and reliability. If he signs a contract, whether it is 1 year, 2 or 3, he sees it out. He only signs what he is confident he can do.

I really don't think he does soundbites. If he says he likes it here, he likes it here. If he says he'll think about it, he will. If he says he doesn’t know, then he is not sitting on anything. And when he says he has had enough, he will have had enough. That's how I see it, and am happy with that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.