Pep's contract situation

Pep to me has looked tired this season and I don't think it can have been very enjoyable given that Liverpool were evidently going to win the league from very early on. We had the injuries too. And all City fans were dragged through the UEFA / CAS mill which placed the club under constant scrutiny.

I thought a few days ago he might want to take a break because he gives so much mental energy. Watch him during games. It's exhausting. he must be seriously drained.

On the other hand losing to Lyon might drive him on towards wanting to win the CL at City and winning the Premier League again?

Oh do fuck off with this shit about the owners. Everything the chairman has ever said dispels this myth of a CL fixation. It's a target certainly, but not the end of the world.
I think it's rubbish too.

The idea that City's owners are fixated on the Champions League and the coach must win the CL all stems from the soft power nonsense that Abu Dhabi bought City as a vehicle to win the Champions League.

Obviously the owners want the club to be successful and the benchmark is trophies but not necessarily the Champions League. I would like City to challenge strongly for it. I love the competition against the world's best sides, the drama and the quality and it's frustrating we keep falling short but it is only one aspect of the season.

guess it was a poor season - but only by our recent standards. 36 other clubs in the league would love to have won 2 trophies, reached Semi of FA Cup; second in league; beat RM to reach quarters of CL.

However, I agree that we now have greater expectations which resulted in a lot of unhappy fans after the Lyon game.

if only we hadn’t played with three number 6s!!!! But had we scored when we should have done having had so much possession - it might have looked like a good plan.

Spot on mate. The balance of your first two paras is 100% how I feel, and is at the heart of the issue. Both those things can be true at the same time, can’t they?

Reactions: CC1
Thinking back I recall Sterling's miss and a Jesus volley. I don't recall the usual dominance which City have.

In addition, I also recall in the first half Sterling making a number runs down the inside left channel and providing cutbacks which weren’t utilised, though maybe I’m mistaken. I’m not a huge fan of giving Expected Goals too much weight, but I do think they tell us something.

Never understood the immediate pressure that the media generate that Pep ‘must win the CL’.

In England 3-4 other teams have realistic ambitions of winning the league title.

Those English clubs also want to win the CL, as do Juventus, Atletico, Barca, Madrid, Munich, and PSG.

Pisscan won it twice in 26 years, Chelsea once since takeover - it’s a trophy that takes tremendous mental fortitude to win but also you need a fair bit of luck/fair officiating.

Well at the end I want Pep to stay but the question is whether we need new ideas, motivation, different approach...

The best manager in English football history won only 2 champions leagues in 26 years. One on a penalty shoot out against an okay Chelsea side and one as a result of a crazy 2 minutes spell after being dominated the whole game by an average Bayern team.

Talk of Poch is insultingly mental. We would genuinely be better off getting Manuel back if we were going to do that.

Why not stick with the manager that won us the only treble in history, the only 100point season in history, the second 98 point season in history and just the 3 consecutive league cups?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.