Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
His time at City can only be the preseason and a first few games if its coming in November. Was hoping for one next summer with all that he goes through in the first season.

Obviously that would not fit with the Xmas cash-in.

You dont have to tell me about that, I nearly lost my job over it at the time, having been at a lunch in his honour only a month before it all kicked off.

I'd say from my pov as an ex coach that what Pep does is fundamentally different in that Pep allows the opponents to dictate his approach. We actually arent trying to impose our philsophy on a team. Rather, we wait to see what they do and if the opponent does a) then we do b) and so on. It's very close in philosophy to either option football or the run and shoot offense with a "take what they give you" approach.

Who's honour, paterno or Sandusky?? I kind of felt sorry for Joe until I researched the case further, he should of never put the institution before his conscience, regardless if he reported it or not...

I think you misunderstood where I was coming from, I didn't mean tactics as in 'mirrored', more the philosophy behind them, also the approach used by Lombardi is adapted by every top level coach to date..

Lets not forget Pep has a coach on staff who is a netball coach by profession.

Hasn't Manuel Estiarte rocked up yet?? Water polo phenomenon (:

Who's honour, paterno or Sandusky?? I kind of felt sorry for Joe until I researched the case further, he should of never put the institution before his conscience, regardless if he reported it or not...

I think you misunderstood where I was coming from, I didn't mean tactics as in 'mirrored', more the philosophy behind them, also the approach used by Lombardi is adapted by every top level coach to date..

Hasn't Manuel Estiarte rocked up yet?? Water polo phenomenon (:

Sandusky's unfortunately. He uttered the creepiest line in his speech I'll ever hear "the one thing I miss most from football is those boys in that locker room". in context it's terrifying.

Yeh you're absolutely right mate. Especially on Saturday when the full backs were tucking in and Fernandinho was dropping back in to the back line.

Funny how these things coms back around. Not seen the WM formation since reading Nappers Golden Goals in Primary school, and he got it from the 1950s I think! Way ahead of his time was Napper.

There are times when they approximate to WM but yesterday Dinho's average position in each segment of the game tended to be ahead of the CB's and in line or ahead of the FB's but he is moving back a forth between the lines of our defenders depending on circumstances. What is interesting is that you can see that against Steua the players stuck to their zones much more than they did against Sunderland, where Kun, Sterling and KDB appear to have played in the same spot; no idea if that is just the way things went or a case of Pep and the coaches asking certain players to make some adjustments.

In attack it's very similar the old W-M formation used in the early days of football. Ignoring the names for the positions this is essentially how we line up in attack.

wm-formation-player-positioning.png

EDIT

It's obviously fluid and people don't hold their positions but when we have the ball with the keeper that's a pretty good approximation.

Excellent work!

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the formation he's using, I'd concentrate more on individual roles and how they have a ripple effect through the team. One of my criticisms of MP was that we never worked in partnerships but now under Pep when one player does something it directly leads to another player doing something else. It gives us a beautiful fluidity that makes formation not as important as in other teams more rigid systems. Not to say that we don't have a base, just that it will change regularly throughout a game.

Creepy as fuck but that's institutional abuse mate, the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist!!!!

I know this is going weirdly off topic but that whole situation was creepy. The live on TV telephone interview with Sandusky after he'd been arrested was sick. I especially remember some comment about horse playing around with kids in the showers and stumbling around for an answer when questioned whether or not he found young boys sexually attractive. That was weird, creepy American TV at it's finest, I just happened to be there on my honeymoon when it all aired.

Does anyone else think City need another goalscorer to support Aguero? Right now he's the only proven goalscorer in the starting lineup.

Pep wants to use the fullbacks as CM's so the wingers get a 1v1. However Aguero's the only goalscorer in the box for the wingers to get the ball into. Plus he's not exactly the greatest at heading either.

Instead of Sane, signing a supporting goalscorer like Reus or Griezmann would have made more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.