Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
In attack it's very similar the old W-M formation used in the early days of football. Ignoring the names for the positions this is essentially how we line up in attack.

wm-formation-player-positioning.png

EDIT

It's obviously fluid and people don't hold their positions but when we have the ball with the keeper that's a pretty good approximation.
Good post.

I have seen the Bucaresti game again and here's what I noted.

1). When in possession of the ball a midfielder (Fernandinho or Fernando) drop in between the centrebacks to give us a 3-5-2 formation with the full backs acting as two extra midfielders. Something that I don't quite get is why not have one fullback stay back and another go forward and join Fernandinho. We could use more of him than lets say Sagna in that position?

2). the CB's split so that the GK has options to his extremes in a safe position.

3). We are a traditional Pellegrini 4-4-2 when the team is in our half.

4). When defending freekicks we hold a very very high line so that there is enough space for the GK to move in front of him to collect the ball/come out without getting hindered.

5). There will be time when Stones will take a free run looking for a pass with Fernandinho filling in for him.

Players are learning new system as well as City supporters. It is 2-3-2-3 from my eyes when attack. Yesterday when KDB was sub, Fernando took Fernandinho position and Fernandinho moved to KDB position and assisted Kun last goal. Silva linked well with Nolito and KDB linked well with Sterling but Silva and KDB were not quite link well with each other yet. The weak point is our FB not quite good passer and would be problem when facing with big teams.

Does anyone else think City need another goalscorer to support Aguero? Right now he's the only proven goalscorer in the starting lineup.

Pep wants to use the fullbacks as CM's so the wingers get a 1v1. However Aguero's the only goalscorer in the box for the wingers to get the ball into. Plus he's not exactly the greatest at heading either.

Instead of Sane, signing a supporting goalscorer like Reus or Griezmann would have made more sense.

I think Sane was the perfect buy. I am sure we will see a return to players from all over the park scoring goals - similar to Bobby's team for a while. They way Pep has them set up will just in itself, create many more scoring opportunities and from all sides and angles. If he can keep Kun fit, we could see 30 goals in the premier league alone and potentially 15+ from the competitions. Stirling will hit double figures, along with KDB, Sane and even possibly Silva now that he has him operating with much more movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.