Peps Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually played about 40 games for Benfica, of which I watched most of them, so I guess I do watch a lot of Portuguese football. As for his last season not being excellent, I guess you must know better than everybody else then, as it's pretty widely agreed that he was outstanding. Suggesting he isn't even an above average player suggests you are either trolling, brain dead, or genuinely haven't watched him play.

I assume you don't have a life outside watching football if you've seen him play that often??

And if he was outstanding he'd be linked with bigger moves than a £12-14mil switch to Napoli. You know like Otamendi, who actually was outstanding for them last season

I assume you don't have a life outside watching football if you've seen him play that often??

And if he was outstanding he'd be linked with bigger moves than a £12-14mil switch to Napoli

You know like Otamendi, who actually was outstanding for them last season
Oh dear. First I haven't watched him, now I've watched him too much?

Your second point is just laughable, basing opinions on who they've been linked with in the press? It's like you're going out of your way to judge him on everything other than actually watching him. If it makes you feel any better, you could easily find reports linking him with us, Barca, Chelsea and various others, not that that means anything.

And if he was outstanding he'd be linked with bigger moves than a £12-14mil switch to Napoli. You know like Otamendi, who actually was outstanding for them last season

If I'm not mistaken @BigOscar is Portuguese or at least watches a lot of Portuguese football.

I would say so, been playing well for Dortmund I think. Hence all of the rumors starting up again.

Laporte is definitely on the shopping list, a perfect 'Pep' CB. Demichelis is all but gone, Denayer even with his potential and current ability may not be in the plans at all so makes sense to bring in another good CB.

Full backs definitely need looking at, for age reasons more than anything. Perhaps Pep will persevere with our current 4 until Angelino/Maffeo etc prove we need to look elsewhere.

Midfield definitely needs looking at, not enough goals in there for me. Fernando won't be the pivot that Pep will likely want to introduce, Yaya definitely can be this man as long as we get a world class CM alongside Fernandinho infront of him. Delph is an excellent rotation option.

If Isco is available then I would definitely bring him in, a replacement for Nasri perhaps. Although, Nasri could yet get a new lease of life.

We need a striker, we can argue all day about Bony but regardless of him we need another option. A Greizmann or Reus would be ideal. Adept at playing on the wings or in behind a forward or as a forward should it come too it. Ability to score a variety of goals and they have more to their game then a typical striker.

Pep will probably change the entire midfield and defense. He doesn't seem to favor destroyers, he likes ball players. If you look at he set up his Barcelona and Bayern teams you'll see what I'm talking about.

In Barcelona he moved Mascherano to defense (sometimes even Busquets), played Busquets in the center to distribute the ball instead of a destroyer there, with Xabi and Iniesta in front of him. At Bayern he did the same by playing Xabi Alonso as the lone #6 to be a distributor of the ball and occasionally drop in between the centerbacks, he played Thiago and Lahm in front of Alonso. He doesn't use destroyers.

He likes his defenders play like midfielders, up high in midfield, bring the ball from the back and help stop counterattacks and redistribute the ball. At Barcelona Pique used to go forward quite often and at Bayern he's using Boateng to go forward and distribute balls, he does the same with Alaba. Basically everyone on his team play like midfielders distrivuting and circulating the ball, be it defender or forwards. At Barcelona he didn't use a classic centerforward, instead he used Messi as a free man false 9 and wide attackers. At Bayern he has Lewandowski but he plays Lewandowski all over the place.

Judging by these and seeing how he likes his teams to play, it's safe to assume that we might see a lot of players leave or lose their place under Guardiola. Rumours about Gundogan make sense, he will need such players in a midfield core of 3 to circulate the ball and attack. He likes players who can dribble and pass so Gundogan would be a perfect Pep player.

He might ask for Kroos too, or a player or two with his qualities. He could have an entire midfield with players like that. He likes his players to circulate ball, move freely and change positions, play fluidly.

Fullbacks: Expect changes here too. Judging by his Barcelona and Bayern teams, he uses his fullbacks like wide midfielders who position high next to midfielders rather than next to centerbacks, he was even using Alves at Barcelona like a winger too high up the pitch to stretch the opponent defenses.

Last edited:
No, just wondering why you've seen him play so often. So you are a hermit/a Benfica fan/a member of the Gomes family?

No I watched him play and came up with the hypothesis that he was not very good. I have then analysed the data available to me and come to the conclusion that he is indeed, not very good. And there is nothing, other than your opinion, that says otherwise. It's not even a case of confirmation bias because none of his stats are good.

Who would he get in our team ahead of?

No, just wondering why you've seen him play so often. So you are a hermit/a Benfica fan/a member of the Gomes family?

No I watched him play and came up with the hypothesis that he was not very good. I have then analysed the data available to me and come to the conclusion that he is indeed, not very good. And there is nothing, other than your opinion, that says otherwise. It's not even a case of confirmation bias because none of his stats are good.

Who would he get in our team ahead of?
Delph, Nando, Nasri, an aging Yaya, perhaps every midfielder bar Dihno. But that's just me

Delph, Nando, Nasri, an aging Yaya, perhaps every midfielder bar Dihno. But that's just me
I don't really know Gomes but that's not really a great reference tbf.

If I had to rate that list of players along with a bag of sand, it wouldn't be last.

Judging by these and seeing how he likes his teams to play, it's safe to assume that we might see a lot of players leave or lose their place under Guardiola. Rumours about Gundogan make sense, he will need such players in a midfield core of 3 to circulate the ball and attack. He likes players who can dribble and pass so Gundogan would be a perfect Pep player.
I'd hope not. Our entire youth setup and recruitment since the Spaniards came in was to emulate a Guardiola style of play. If he comes to manages us and wants to change the entire team, that wouldn't be a good reflection on our director of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.