Peter Barnes

My best memory of him was a league match against Chelsea at Maine Road. Seem to remember that the score finished 6-2 in City's favour with Peter being virtually unplayable. On one occasion he flew past the fullback ( think it was Chopper Harris ) then waited for him to catch up before going past him again. Brilliant.
The right full-back he was up against that day was Graham Wilkins (Ray's brother). He ran him so ragged he ended up being sent off for one foul too many.

Peter Barnes was my childhood hero along with Dave Watson. I'll never forget my first game at Maine Rd, sat in the Platt Lane with my dad in absolute awe of the ground, the Kippax and the noise coming from it. City beat Middlesboro 4-0 in the League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg that night and he set the first one up for Joe Royle with a great cross, then scored our 3rd following a cracking interception and shot into the net.

Instant hero - just add starstruck 5 year old.

The day he signed for that shite was the first time I'd ever had my heart broken. Nowadays of course, I realise a job is a job so he was only doing what he needed to do.

That said, I've still never forgiven you Peter :))
If it’s any consolation be assured he hates them as much as you do and loves City more than he hates them Yeah it’s a job

A very exciting player to watch jinxing past defenders at speed. Amazing winger. I got meself one of those Peter Barnes trainer balls for Christmas... they were amazing. You tied it to your shorts hit the ball and it would be tied to elastic so it would come back to you

got to meet him a couple of times as he was best mates with my cousin who he came through the city ranks with as a junior. I was back in Manc on holidays from Oz in '80 and we caught up with him Owen and McKenzie I think from memory in a pub after WBrom had played at Leeds. Few days later his Dad took me around main road and got to meet all the players and Allison at training.

got to meet him a couple of times as he was best mates with my cousin who he came through the city ranks with as a junior. I was back in Manc on holidays from Oz in '80 and we caught up with him Owen and McKenzie I think from memory in a pub after WBrom had played at Leeds. Few days later his Dad took me around main road and got to meet all the players and Allison at training.
Met Peter Barnes in the Waldorf last year.Really top bloke I can tell you.Gang of us had a great night reminiscing.Told him I remembered him having a stormer for England v Italy.Anyone remember him jinking past a couple of Italian defenders ?

Had a great time with him in Ibiza about 18/19 years ago I was refffing in competition that his company had organised for holiday/footy trips.Trust me he was far from boring ,the one and only time that I did Karaoke.Late nights ? oh aye :) :) .Still see him now .City through and through

Peter Barnes was my favourite player growing up, a brilliant winger. It's a shame he defected over to the other side of the city.

And v Standard Liege earlier in the competition the same season. Absolutely ran rings round them in the last 10 minutes to turn a tight 1-0 scoreline into a 4-0 hammering.

I was at that game with a mate of mine who was playing away.
He left for an assignation with his lady with the score 1-0.
I tried to imagine his wife’s reaction when he got home and said we’d only won 1-0.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.