Peter Barnes

Very exciting player in his day. Unfortunately his best period was when he played for Trafford. The old soak sold him and he came back to us but never reached the same performance level. I saw him at Wembley when we had that Wigan debacle.Had a brief chat and he seems a nice bloke and still a massive blue.

Still remember his England debut v Italy in late 1977. He showed a lot of skill and had a good game in a 2-0 win but in one memorable passage of play he danced past a couple of Italian defenders to be then stopped dead with a crunching foul by Claudio Gentile - as tough a defender as there was - and while Barnesy lay on the turf in agony and the free kick was given, Bennetti ran up and smashed the ball into him from point blank range ! Think he went and hid for a few minutes after that. Great player though.

I was so happy watching that as an 8 year old.

Selling him and Owen was one of the most stupid decisions we have made in the last 50 years and we have lots to choose from!

Swales decision to bring back Malcolm was a disaster.

Very exciting player in his day. Unfortunately his best period was when he played for Trafford. The old soak sold him and he came back to us but never reached the same performance level. I saw him at Wembley when we had that Wigan debacle.Had a brief chat and he seems a nice bloke and still a massive blue.
His best period was definitely not when he played for utd

I was right behind the goal when he dummied Pat Jennings and dinked it over him in another City romp over Tottenham 5-0. One of the all time great Maine Road goals from that era in my opinion.

[youtube]

Cheers for the link,remember this game. I think that roll of Selnec ticket paper he moves at the corner could have been lobbed by me. Too poor for toilet paper. It was the golden age of lying about my age at the pub before then at the turnstile. Allegedly Ken Barnes (Peters dad) once asked my ma for a date - it could have been me. While I am reminiscing and I know everyone's stopped reading at this point, I met Dennis Tueart on the way into the match a few months ago, I blathered like a complete tit, if you read this Dennis I am sure you'll remember me and I will try to be a bit more composed next time.

Peter Barnes was my childhood hero along with Dave Watson. I'll never forget my first game at Maine Rd, sat in the Platt Lane with my dad in absolute awe of the ground, the Kippax and the noise coming from it. City beat Middlesboro 4-0 in the League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg that night and he set the first one up for Joe Royle with a great cross, then scored our 3rd following a cracking interception and shot into the net.

Instant hero - just add starstruck 5 year old.

The day he signed for that shite was the first time I'd ever had my heart broken. Nowadays of course, I realise a job is a job so he was only doing what he needed to do.

That said, I've still never forgiven you Peter :))
What a game to go to for the first time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.