Peter Reid

njmcfc1894 said:
I went to Goodison as a 15 year old and we were piss poor, the famous "£6m" banner, it was looking ropey after newly promoted Blackburn ran rings round us but Goodison gave them excuse to get rid, played Coventry on Friday night and "Brian Who" was in Platt Lane box, Tony Book in charge and we did a sit in on the Kippax, was beginning of the end for Swales as well.

Sorry can you tell me what this banner was about ??

noely said:
njmcfc1894 said:
I went to Goodison as a 15 year old and we were piss poor, the famous "£6m" banner, it was looking ropey after newly promoted Blackburn ran rings round us but Goodison gave them excuse to get rid, played Coventry on Friday night and "Brian Who" was in Platt Lane box, Tony Book in charge and we did a sit in on the Kippax, was beginning of the end for Swales as well.

Swales had been banging on about finding £6m to spend on players ( a sizeable sum in those days), he was getting ambitious - nearly 10 years before he promised Billy McNeill £1m, that never materialised either - hence the banner asking where the £6m had gone.

Reid got sacked the day after my brother got his name on the back of his shirt and then he got the touch of death and got in the habit of getting names of players on his back who left within days. Think he stopped doing it when we sold SWP.

Remember being gutted at the time but the Horton era was much more fun. Always remember Rick Holden pretty much admitting he was a rubbish footballer but the fact he didn't run too much meant that in the last 10 minutes of games he could get lots of crosses in

mrbelfry said:
Reid got sacked the day after my brother got his name on the back of his shirt and then he got the touch of death and got in the habit of getting names of players on his back who left within days. Think he stopped doing it when we sold SWP.

Remember being gutted at the time but the Horton era was much more fun. Always remember Rick Holden pretty much admitting he was a rubbish footballer but the fact he didn't run too much meant that in the last 10 minutes of games he could get lots of crosses in

Watching Carragher on Sky last night laying into the Newcastle players for strolling around made me wonder what he'd have made of Tricky Ricky!

Liked both Peter Reid and Brian Horton, they were both "football men"...(whatever that means)

Brian was very underrated and did very well for us when he came in, no one had ever heard of him....(well not many anyhow).

First and foremost Peter Reid is a good guy and is great to listen to when he's a on as a pundit.

However his time at City is looked back on through rose tinted glasses. He inherited a team that under Kendall was on the brink of achievement and progresively it got worse each season the more it became his team. Baffling sales and even more baffling buys plus the over reliance on Niall Quinns head made for some of the worst style football over the last 20 years. McMahon was over the hill and Ricky Holden was too slow to get to the hill in the first place. Plus he sold Steve Redmond my hero at the time and Neil Pointon to get Holden, and treated Clive Allen like shit in favour of Adrian fucking Heath.

I'm sorry but Peter Reid was far better as a player than a mangager for us.

lancs blue said:
noely said:
njmcfc1894 said:

Swales had been banging on about finding £6m to spend on players ( a sizeable sum in those days), he was getting ambitious - nearly 10 years before he promised Billy McNeill £1m, that never materialised either - hence the banner asking where the £6m had gone.

Cheers

city 'til i cry said:
First and foremost Peter Reid is a good guy and is great to listen to when he's a on as a pundit.

However his time at City is looked back on through rose tinted glasses. He inherited a team that under Kendall was on the brink of achievement and progresively it got worse each season the more it became his team. Baffling sales and even more baffling buys plus the over reliance on Niall Quinns head made for some of the worst style football over the last 20 years. McMahon was over the hill and Ricky Holden was too slow to get to the hill in the first place. Plus he sold Steve Redmond my hero at the time and Neil Pointon to get Holden, and treated Clive Allen like shit in favour of Adrian fucking Heath.

I'm sorry but Peter Reid was far better as a player than a mangager for us.

My memory may be playing tricks, it usually does, but I thought that Peter Reid took over a team battling relegation, got us to successive 6th placed finishes, then about half way up the league the year after, and then got bulleted by my namesake about 3 games into the season after that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.