Peter Reid's programme notes

Redmond and Pointon both went to Oldham in part ex for Holden. Both solid enough players but we spent big money replacing Pointon with Phelan from Wimbledon. IIRC Palace feigned interest in Phelan which pushed his price up. Wimbledon were ground sharing with Palace at the time. Thankfully our transfer strategy is much better now. Always thought Beardsley would have been a good signing for us when he left Livetpool in 1991 but we seemed to spend most summers being linked with Paul Stewart returning.
I remember a figure of £900k being quoted for Holden and £300k and 500k for Pointon and Redmond respectively.
I didn't realise it was part of the same deal.
Royle had our pants down with that one and, after Barratt and Warhurst the club still didn't learn it's lesson.
Holden went back there 12 months later, I can't remember how much but I think it was around half the fee we paid.

I agree about Beardsley and think we would have gone for him had Kendal still been in charge.

Like you said, we're much better now, back then everyone knew who we were linked with which meant we either ended up overpaying or the players went elsewhere as other interested clubs were tipped off.
Thank goodness we're much smarter these days.

I'd completely forgotten about the whole Arthur Numan saga, but our transfer incompetence in the early 90s, (not just from Swales, but also the way that Reid didn't trust young talent) was a major factor in the mess that followed.

In fact, now that we've regularly been winning trophies for 13 seasons, and not been fighting relegation for even longer, I'm still unsure as to whether we've been successful for longer than we were shite

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.