Peter Reid's programme notes

I was at Maine Road when we played them not long after they signed for Spurs. Everyone marvelled at Ardiles, he was incredible. Villa didn't do much at Spurs apart from that overated goal in the 1981 final.
Yes, Steve Mackenzie's volley in that replay was the best goal of the game, fantastic technique. Ricky Villa's goal was made to look better by the not so great defending. Unfortunately (from our perspective) Villa's goal will always be remembered more as it was the winning goal that night

We weren't signing 2 x £2.5m players in a month or two of each other.

Also Paul Stewart was past his best, we had the better version the first time around.

Always cited as the worst player ever to win an England cap - possibly harsh but really he was no way an international. Did he blaze it 20 yards over the bar in this debut, Something bizarre wasn't it?
I remember David White won an England cap, had a mare and was never the same player again, within months he was off to Leeds or Sheffield utd.

I remember David White won an England cap, had a mare and was never the same player again, within months he was off to Leeds or Sheffield utd.
A write up in one of the tabloids read; 'David White said he didn't want to be a one cap wonder.
'Don't worry you weren't!'

Yup, heartbreaking, think he had 17 goals for City, missed a bit of a sitter v Spain and then scored 1 more goal and was swapped for Rocastle at Leeds, I never took to the latter as he replaced my favourite player.

Always cited as the worst player ever to win an England cap - possibly harsh but really he was no way an international. Did he blaze it 20 yards over the bar in this debut, Something bizarre wasn't it?

I’d say Michael Ricketts and Anthony Gardner would give him a good run for his money for that title.

I thought he was pretty unlucky from memory. He missed a couple of chances but one was a great save by the keeper. Pretty sure Alan Shearer and Nigel Clough also made their debuts?

I think that is a bit of an urban myth about him leaving shortly after.Pretty sure he played a full, successful season after his England debut before signing for leeds the season after

Edit made his debut 9th Sept 1992, sold in December 1993.

Last edited:
I thought he was pretty unlucky from memory. He missed a couple of chances but one was a great save by the keeper. Pretty sure Alan Shearer and Nigel Clough also made their debuts?

I think that is a bit of an urban myth about him leaving shortly after.Pretty sure he played a full, successful season after his England debut before signing for leeds the season after

Edit made his debut 9th Sept 1992, sold in December 1993.

Amazing contrast with now, where we routinely provide half the England team and no one gives a shit. But it was a big deal back then.

Not sure if Keith Curle was at City when he got his handful of caps? But either way, I’m pretty sure Whitey was the first homegrown City player to get an England cap since Joe Corrigan about a decade earlier.

Even though it was only a friendly, it was a big moment. I don’t remember him playing particularly poorly. But that miss when he was one on one with the ‘keeper was the only really moment that sticks in the memory. And that was his England career done.

Still, it’s one more cap than the vast majority of other players get. So I hope he’s rightly proud of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.