Peter Reid's programme notes

I remember David White won an England cap, had a mare and was never the same player again, within months he was off to Leeds or Sheffield utd.
Graham Taylor capped him to play in the worst England team in living memory after about a season when he should have been a regular in the international squad and wasnt. He missed what should have been a regulation David White goal and it was a real shame. Loved David White he was fucking great

I thought he was pretty unlucky from memory. He missed a couple of chances but one was a great save by the keeper. Pretty sure Alan Shearer and Nigel Clough also made their debuts?

I think that is a bit of an urban myth about him leaving shortly after.Pretty sure he played a full, successful season after his England debut before signing for leeds the season after

Edit made his debut 9th Sept 1992, sold in December 1993.
His form dropped so badly that by the time he was on his way he was so lacking in confidence he was in my opinion a shadow of the player he was. I thought at the time it was quite shocking and I believe there must be more to it than was ever made public. Don't get me wrong I never had a go at the lad verbally at the game but yet again I could smell peter swales rotten stench getting worse at the club.

It got so bad we thought a lad from the 4th division called Carl Griffiths would be our saviour.

Amazing contrast with now, where we routinely provide half the England team and no one gives a shit. But it was a big deal back then.

Not sure if Keith Curle was at City when he got his handful of caps? But either way, I’m pretty sure Whitey was the first homegrown City player to get an England cap since Joe Corrigan about a decade earlier.

Even though it was only a friendly, it was a big moment. I don’t remember him playing particularly poorly. But that miss when he was one on one with the ‘keeper was the only really moment that sticks in the memory. And that was his England career done.

Still, it’s one more cap than the vast majority of other players get. So I hope he’s rightly proud of it.

Yes it felt huge at the time. I was 16 and he was pretty much the first City player I had seen wearing the England shirt after Keith Curle, but it felt different, with him coming through the academy, when he played.

Yes Curle was a City player then. But he got chucked in at fullback against Denmark and got a bit of a roasting, pretty sure it was by Brian Laudrup.

Yes he should be rightly proud of his achievements. On his day he was unplayable and although everyone talks about his goals against Villa his brace at Anfield was incredible.

I have it on good authority that when Maradona left Barcelona he was absolutely desperate to sign for City, he loved the area he loved the potential of the club, Billy McNeill was mad keen to sign him and then just as Diego was about to catch his flight from Barcelona to Manchester ……. yep you guessed it Swales kiboshed the deal

Amazing contrast with now, where we routinely provide half the England team and no one gives a shit. But it was a big deal back then.

Not sure if Keith Curle was at City when he got his handful of caps? But either way, I’m pretty sure Whitey was the first homegrown City player to get an England cap since Joe Corrigan about a decade earlier.

Even though it was only a friendly, it was a big moment. I don’t remember him playing particularly poorly. But that miss when he was one on one with the ‘keeper was the only really moment that sticks in the memory. And that was his England career done.

Still, it’s one more cap than the vast majority of other players get. So I hope he’s rightly proud of it.
Pretty sure Curle and/or White was our first England cap since Trevor Francis in the 1982 World Cup (and he was sold a few weeks later before kicking a ball again for City).

His form dropped so badly that by the time he was on his way he was so lacking in confidence he was in my opinion a shadow of the player he was. I thought at the time it was quite shocking and I believe there must be more to it than was ever made public. Don't get me wrong I never had a go at the lad verbally at the game but yet again I could smell peter swales rotten stench getting worse at the club.

It got so bad we thought a lad from the 4th division called Carl Griffiths would be our saviour.

Yes he was definitely, or considered at the time, a confidence player. I can remember him getting a bit of stick by the crowd as his play did fluctuate from being deadly in front of goal, pinpoint accurate low crosses to missing sitters and overhitting crosses.

Still one of my favourites growing up but I think at the end he was a bit frustrated with it all.

I have it on good authority that when Maradona left Barcelona he was absolutely desperate to sign for City, he loved the area he loved the potential of the club, Billy McNeill was mad keen to sign him and then just as Diego was about to catch his flight from Barcelona to Manchester ……. yep you guessed it Swales kiboshed the deal

We laugh but was he not at one point going to sign for Sheff United? As for Maradona, not sure he would have displaced Jim Tolmie at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.