Peter Reid's programme notes

Pretty sure Curle and/or White was our first England cap since Trevor Francis in the 1982 World Cup (and he was sold a few weeks later before kicking a ball again for City).

I was there and didn’t even remember Francis was a City player at the time and he played virtually every minute. Sure I must have done at the time.

But talking solely about players City ‘produced’ the only ones I remember from my earliest memories right up until this century were White, Barnes and Corrigan.

Probably missed a really obvious one though.

Actually just about to press ‘reply’ and have just had a very early memory of Mike Doyle getting a couple of caps.

I was there and didn’t even remember Francis was a City player at the time and he played virtually every minute. Sure I must have done at the time.

But talking solely about players City ‘produced’ the only ones I remember from my earliest memories right up until this century were White, Barnes and Corrigan.

Probably missed a really obvious one though.

Actually just about to press ‘reply’ and have just had a very early memory of Mike Doyle getting a couple of caps.
Not sure you have mate. Think those four cover the lot if you’re going from the mid ‘70s.

Not sure you have mate. Think those four cover the lot if you’re going from the mid ‘70s.

That’s a surprise mate. Me remembering something correctly.

Marvellous bit of kit the brain isn’t it? Even in the most puddled mind, it somehow still allows you to recall things in such fine detail from when it was working normally.

I thought he was pretty unlucky from memory. He missed a couple of chances but one was a great save by the keeper. Pretty sure Alan Shearer and Nigel Clough also made their debuts?

I think that is a bit of an urban myth about him leaving shortly after.Pretty sure he played a full, successful season after his England debut before signing for leeds the season after

Edit made his debut 9th Sept 1992, sold in December 1993.
Yeah he played pretty well for while after that season, even leading the line when Quinn was out, his fortunes mirrored City's and when swapped for Rocastle they were both damaged physically.

He didn't play his normal inside right for England, had too much time on both the chances. Curle got 3 half games for England in different positions too, RB v Denmark, off at half time never to be seen again. Very similar to White 3 months' earlier.

That’s a surprise mate. Me remembering something correctly.

Marvellous bit of kit the brain isn’t it? Even in the most puddled mind, it somehow still allows you to recall things in such fine detail from when it was working normally.
We are surely more likely to remember something that meant a great deal to us at the time it happened.

We are surely more likely to remember something that meant a great deal to us at the time it happened.

I’m no neurologist but I think it’s more to do with when it happened, than how important it was at the time.

But anyway, that’s a debate I will very quickly found myself out of my depth in.

And in any case, I’ve come to the conclusion through one of my kids having epilepsy, that even the biggest authorities on the human brain, actually still only have a very rudimentary idea of what’s going on up there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.