Petrov says he's going.

The Ox said:
Ntini77 said:
Sign Elia to replace him if true.
Great player but - I think Weiss could give us options on either wing to cover Robinho or SWP and would retain the balance of Academy players coming through !! As much as we need to strengthen why go out and spend a fortune if we have one of our own coming up through the ranks ?

True but would Elia cost a fortune ?

I reckon we could get him for 6-10m.

I'm predicting a very big season for young Weiss next season.

Shame to see him go, gave us some great moments last season. Very good player, although possibly slightly (just slightly) overrated by City fans given that we had to endure the likes of Claudio Reyna playing on the left wing before he arrived. To see him bombing down the wing gives me goosebumps, he might just be a bit too one dimensional (short pass to teammate then run hoping for a return ball) to play for a very top team though, hence why he's spent his career at clubs a level down from there and never made it to the real top.

Ah well, if he is going, cheers Martin.

Ntini77 said:
The Ox said:
Ntini77 said:
Sign Elia to replace him if true.
Great player but - I think Weiss could give us options on either wing to cover Robinho or SWP and would retain the balance of Academy players coming through !! As much as we need to strengthen why go out and spend a fortune if we have one of our own coming up through the ranks ?

True but would Elia cost a fortune ?

I reckon we could get him for 6-10m.

I'm predicting a very big season for young Weiss next season.

Add an extra 10 million to your estimate Ntini and you might be a bit closer to what it'll close. From what I have read (It is rumours after all) there are plenty of clubs, including us sniffing about for him and I'd fully expect there to be a bidding war on for him over the summer. Very impressed with Weiss today.

Just responding to The Ox, its great to have some good talent coming through the ranks, but if you want to be competitive at the very top of the league, it is not enough to solely have good youth as back up. Take a look at the line up that our hated rivals put out today. That was quite a few of their younger players,and it was somewhere between their 2nd XI and their 3rd XI team. You simply have to have quality in depth, and players in the squad that are not necessarily 1st choice, but are good enough to step up every time and be relied upon when needed. That you can not gain by having only youth providing the depth, unless you have an absolutely exceptional bunch coming through. There is no doubt we have some good players coming through, but they are not quite at that level.

He has some proven quality and in a way it would be a shame if he left but I think Hughes is after a bit more than just quality. Players need backbone/heart call it what you want but if anyone think they have a divine right to play they need to think again.

No way would he be guaranteed to be in the starting line up.

won vip tickets through seat exchange for the Blackburn game the woman who waited on the box hates Petrov apparently he really is a moody git. she also told us a story that apprarently one of his injuries where down to his own stupidity he was messing around at baggage reclaim at the airport when it started throwing him off. that is apparently the reason why Hughes won't pick him in the starting line up. Haven't a clue if thats true but seems to make a lot sense

Well, assuming this is true then it's quite worrying really, you lot my think we can flirt players off left right and centre and buy in better but time will tell.

Money has changed a lot of attitudes amongst fans, not seen it from the players yet though.

pee dubya said:
Shame to see him go, gave us some great moments last season. Very good player, although possibly slightly (just slightly) overrated by City fans given that we had to endure the likes of Claudio Reyna playing on the left wing before he arrived. To see him bombing down the wing gives me goosebumps, he might just be a bit too one dimensional (short pass to teammate then run hoping for a return ball) to play for a very top team though, hence why he's spent his career at clubs a level down from there and never made it to the real top.

Ah well, if he is going, cheers Martin.
Agree he's a bit one dimensional but the end product was usually quality, by far our best crosser of a ball. I still think he could do a job but if he doesn't think hughes will give him games - more than likely true if hughes sees Robbie staying out left - then he goes with my best wishes.

i really hope he is not going. i've been waiting for a fully fit petrov and swp to play down both wings this season. now he is back i thought well, wait till next season, when we will get a target man (santa cruz?). i am 'emotionally attached' because he does create excitement because he is a true winger, the few crosses he has made cause trouble. i remember early in the season 2008, he looked like our only chance of scoring sometimes.

competition for places is one thing. no point in having players who haven't a 50/50 chance of starting a match and are not happy with it. i cant see robinho being replaced by petrov (by hughes). not that robinho is the more effective player (especially away), its just that he is the so called star player and is hardly ever dropped. it shows maybe one of our managers weaknesses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.