PGMOL Apologise to Everton. It WAS a Penalty!

If it had been "clear" then VAR would have given it as it would have been a clear and obvious error. But the fact is that it wasn't "clear" as there was sufficient doubt about where the ball had actually hit Rodri and whether it was mostly in the red or green zone.

The laws are the laws, however daft they may be, and on that occasion, as with Ederson at Arsenal and KDB at Southampton, there was doubt so the original decision wasn't changed.
Sorry but it was a handball, in the exact letter of the law it was not given but in this case and many others under VAR consideration they made a error, I always look at the reaction of the players involved in the incident and it's clear they though it was a handball.

But what the hell the FA are giving Everton an apology for is beyond me and sets a dangerous precedent.

Last edited:
Sorry but it was a handball, in the exact letter of the law it was not given but in this case and many others under VAR consideration they made a error, I always look at the reaction of the players involved in the incident and it's clear they though it was a handball.

But what the hell the FA are giving Everton an apology for is beyond me and sets a dangerous president.
Like Putin?

It was given, it was a free kick at the point where the offside call was made.
That was for the offside after the handball incident.

Do we assume if VAR thought it was a penalty they would have then checked the offside which happened before?
That appears to be the case.

If the AR thought Richarlison had been offside, the flag should have gone up after Ederson's save before Rodri got anywhere near it. "If an assistant referee delays a flag for an offence, the assistant referee must raise the flag if the attacking team scores a goal, is awarded a penalty kick, free kick, corner kick or throw-in, or retains possession of the ball after the initial attack has ended; in all other situations, the assistant referee should decide whether or not to raise the flag, depending on the requirements of the game". (Generally, you'd apply the advantage if the defending team had an advantage.)

It's PGMOL, and the "may be necessary" is a get-out, but
"For decisions/incidents relating to goals, penalty/no penalty and red cards for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (DOGSO), it may be necessary to review the attacking phase of play which led directly to the decision/incident; this may include how the attacking team gained possession of the ball in open play".

But the free kick for offside was in the penalty area, not where the after-the-event offside was given (near the touchline) so that's another little mystery, especially as Eddie got booked for timewasting (and seemed to blame the assistant for indicating the wrong place).

Last edited:
This apology from Old Mother Riley has generated more column inches in the RDAHMeedya than the apology City received from the useless canute after David Silva was cleared out down at Bournemouth. It just shows what a fuckin' shambles the game is currently at! Does any other major sport suffer from shitty decisions week in and week out, or is it that football is 'unique' 'cos of its 'nature'? Does Old Mother Riley understand the LotG? Does he understand the authority, whether we like it or not, that the LotG give referees. If I were Tierney or Kavanagh I'd demand a fuckin' apology from him for suggesting that basically they are not upto the job. And if he didn't think it apporopriate I two-gfinger the old bastard and take my whistle home. Tierney is semi-cleared 'cos like Arsene he didn't see anything, but how many angles did Kavanagh look at? Probably more than that Turkish ref looked at when Llorente scored with his arm, I'll be bound. Yer can't award a pen if you are not 100% certain, although 'we've seen 'em given game after game Tdown he Swamp and Anfield.

No different than when they gave an apology to Crystal Palace after Jota dived and VAR overturned it and gave a pen for him diving which gave liverpool the win. The media hysteria over that was exactly the same as well.

I wouldn't have included some of those(Aguero was coming back from an offside position and offside by centimetres, as hard as that was to take) and there are many more decisions than that to point to, since Pep has been at City(didn't see any of the Sané ones). Seeing some of those again and thinking about how quickly they were swept under the carpet, has made me angry.

Look at the amount of zero integrity liars in the responses as well:

"They were all correct decisions" Liar.
"It looks as though you're just complaining about hard hitting tackles" Muppet.
"Bernardo handled it first" Yes advantage was played and then Trent handled it/gained possession with the arm. So how could he wave play on there? "Advantage City"? Nonsense.

That is what we are up against and they expect us to feel bad about this inconclusive decision. It just shows you how much of it is faux outrage, for many of the complainers. It's just any excuse to bash City. They can fuck off.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.