Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also worth noting that Foden covered more distance vs Spurs than any other player on the pitch, and he didn’t even play the final 5 minutes. And for all of David Silva’s extra touches, he hasn’t scored since New Years Eve, whilst Foden has scored 6 in the same period (in far fewer minutes).
Excellent point well made.

But going up against Leicester's juiced to the gills players was always going to be a challenge.
I'm glad someone has noticed how incredibly fit and fleet footed Leicester City were last night ,in a let's be honest ,for them,meaningless end of season game.I was genuinely shocked how fast and committed all of their players were.Fair play to their manager for getting them very well organised. ..but there was something deeply suspicious about how fit the whole team looked last night after being fairly ordinary most of the season.I have no idea where they got that level of performance from..it was outstanding from a band of mostly ..very ordinary players.

Remember that incredible, MOTM, 3 assist performance vs. Spurs 2 weeks ago from Kev? 65 touches. According to you crap metric that wasn't a good performance.

Touches are meaningless, especially in a game where the other 2 midfielders are Gundogan and Silva, who are already doing the job of being constantly on the ball. What we needed was someone trying to make runs into the box, to try and drag defenders around, to get on the end of stuff.

That's what Foden tried to do, and as a result he was more of a second forward for stretches - in fact when Pep took him off Sterling went up top with Aguero and we played 424.

Yesterday was a fine performance from him. He was excellent off the ball, he did a lot of donkey work needed when we were in possession and a few times the ball ended up at his feet with a bit of space, he did some nice thnigs, even if he couldn't quite nail the final pass.

In a game where Aguero, Sterling, Silva, Bernardo, Sané all missed opportunities to make the decisive play of the game and we got bailed out by Kompany, Foden will be right at the bottom of the list of people who Pep has complaints about.
Nope. My metric was that he wasn’t involved that much and when he was he gave it away in the second half a lot against Spurs and that was causing us problems.

Talk about humble and grounded

@PhilFoden on last season’s title celebrations after United’s loss to West Brom: “I went night fishing with my dad instead. I just felt too young to party. I was 17. So I thought it was the sensible thing to do and Vinny actually said it was the right call.”

RandomJ”]Can we give it a rest with the strength stuff? A certain David Silva and a certain Luka Modrić managed to be world class footballers without needing to bench press a car. He doesn't need strength said:
Strength doesn’t mean he has to be able to lift Loftus Cheek above his head, but he does have to have the strength to hold off other players, like Bernardo and David do.

Not sure if you’ve played much adult football, but you would be surprised how strong even the smallest top players are, because it is a requirement to have the strength to hold off opponents and keep the ball at a decent level. I was 6’2” and 180lbs as a player playing professionally with seasoned pros and you might be amazed at the strength of some of the smaller fellas. He needs to grow up as a man if he is going to play in the mix, but he has time in his side...and his ability is unquestionable.

From the Daily Mail, in Foden’s own words:

Physically he has some growing to do. The Premier League is a place for athletes and Foden has not yet developed the power that will come with age. But he was always small and, because of his talent, was always being asked to play with older boys. So he is used to the challenge.

'Sometimes I feel leggy and off balance and I know it's a growth spurt that is underway,' he says. 'My legs are long and my body needs to catch up. It will happen in time.

'I look at some players and wish I was a bit stronger to look after myself but there is nowt I can do apart from a bit of gym and look after my body right.

'I was very underdeveloped and small when I was young but they used to tell me I had the technical ability to play up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.