Phil - Scapegoats and witch hunts

As Pep said about Foden the same could be said about Bellingham. Foden had to learn the role. Pep said "Just in the middle, he has to be more careful in many, many aspects and maybe needs a little more time to realise what he has to do defensively especially, but of course he has something special in those positions, the quality in one-against-one, arrive to the box, sense of goal, so it is all there."

Watching England Serbia it felt like Bellingham was running everywhere instead of trying to be more strict with his position getting in the way of Rice or Trent and not giving them space to try move the ball further up the pitch. Bellingham needed to use the ball better at times he was making runs on his own with no1 else supporting. If he was more composed it would have helped England work themselves up the pitch instead of being gung-ho himself. Like a one man team.
If England set up like they did last Sunday against a good team they will most likely be beaten. This was not a functioning well oiled machine but rather a collection of talented individuals without any obvious collective purpose. I am not a football guru but I don't think I would ever get around to naming that lineup.

Yeah, but i'm appealing to Southgates defensive nature, and putting Rice and Bellingham together means either of them could surge forward
I don't really see Bellingham as a defensive player or see the point of playing two holding players at all except in very rare circumstances when a team needs a draw and is facing much better opponents. The England team has to attack with the sort of players we have up front.

There has been a lot of subsequent analysis of the game with particular regard to the positioning of Foden and Bellingham.

Critically Bellingham’s goal came from Foden being ahead in the 10 role and Bellingham making a run from deeper in the midfield. Trippier was in an advanced left wing position, in the box and TAA was dropping into the right hand side pocket where De Bruyne normally likes to operate.

For me, the system can work with Bellingham deeper and Foden in the 10 with TAA dropped and more balance from someone like Gordon who gets up and down the pitch. But it’s unlikely we’ll see it so I’ll leave that there.

One of the most interesting things I’ve seen is the heat map from Foden and Bellingham, which is very very similar. There’s clearly been an instruction for both to rotate at times but they need to get that harmony and not look to do the same job. Foden’s come out of game 1 with criticism and Bellingham with all the plaudits. However, it’s not that simple when you see the analysis. There were several occasions Foden was ignored. On two occasions Bellingham looked to find him, one was with Foden in the box but it was an awful pass to him. The second was when, having ignored him firstly, he passes to him only to send it so wide it is only saved from going off the pitch by Trippier. Luckily a volleyed pass to Walker and the goal meant no one saw those errors in Bellingham’s game. He was very good, but it wasn’t a perfect performance.

We’ll see later if there’s a better understanding between them.

Most football fans are thick as shite and will repeat what they hear. Message immediately after the whistle yesterday off a red ,”fodens been shite again”. No poiint explaining the whys and the wherefores , they just hear it and repeat it without thinking of reasons

If England set up like they did last Sunday against a good team they will most likely be beaten. This was not a functioning well oiled machine but rather a collection of talented individuals without any obvious collective purpose. I am not a football guru but I don't think I would ever get around to naming that lineup.
All this talk of talented' has to be properly scrutinised i think. A lot of our players (Rice, Saka, Walker Phil, Pickford, Alexander Arnold etc.. are not world class) just decent players, to win something with decent or above average you need to work really hard, we didn't. Coupled with Bellingham thinking he can play 6 and 10 in the same game (he did niether) believes his own hype that lad. Didn't see him much at Dortmund but since the hype I've seen him play well for about 30 minutes and act a cnt for about 1000 (thinking v City etc as well as for England at times) The players need to look more interested - they aren't world class as the 'meeja' tries to portray so show some spirit. Portugal have genuinely good players and fight like dogs..us on the other hand look lazy! Hope we get knocked out early give our lads a bit of a rest

Last edited:
Pep repeats this constantly. About how players have to find their own way out of situations etc

Southgate is the ultimate wet fart
A lot of it when you watch is the players poor application AS well. Lazy and disinterested, maybe they are knackered..probably

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.