mancityvstoke

Team supported
The only football team to come from Manchester
years since it went I know

BUT a sad loss for me.

It is now a cracking up place to avoid.

Oh and bring back Lewiss

Did you know....

Manchester's Piccadilly Gardens was from 1755 the site of the Manchester Royal Infirmary though the street it stood on was then called Lever's Row: this continued south-east as Piccadilly. The site was donated by the Lord of the Manor and had previously been called the Daub Holes: these pits had filled with water and they were replaced by a fine ornamental pond. The infirmary occupied the site at Piccadilly from 1755 to 1910 (when it moved to its current site on Oxford Road); the lowered area (as before 2000) of the gardens arose from the hospital's basement.

mancityvstoke said:
years since it went I know

BUT a sad loss for me.

It is now a cracking up place to avoid.

Oh and bring back Lewiss
Memories from my childhood. All the wino's that used to be sitting on the benches there. Also, Piccadilly Records, the underground market and Paperchase on St Anne's Square (great place for posters).

plenty of sat afternoons spent in my youth taking the piss out of the wino's......those were the days

oh aye forgot about the paraffins on the benches..and that old WW2 sea mine to collect for a charity?

used to walk from there down market st to The Underground market

Stolen from Ivor and JUSTINS then downstairs for leathers or a pair of Wines, Stones or electric blues

Oh the memories

my greatest memory of the gardens was seeing 200-250 united running through it away from 100 city.........dont think many of them stopped running until they got to the bottom end of market street!!

Its always been a cess pool full of not rights and illegals. However it now epitomises everything that's wrong with modern town planning. Horrible faux greenery, cheaply erected red brick buildings with no though or care given to their impact on the area now or in 10+ years time and chain bars and resturants......just utterly shit.

On a plus note I had to go to the Royal Eye Hospital last week and thinks whoever designed that building both internally and externally (including the green areas outside) deserves a medal.

I walked through Piccadilly Gardens at about 5.30 this morning on my way to the station and had to almost step over two winos who were comatose on the footpath

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.