Pies

This may be a little early in the morning but....

Once had a mate who worked at Hollands about 15 years ago. He never tired of telling people this classic.

He and a colleague were some of the people responsible for the lard/hard fat blocks which goes into your finest cheese and onion.

Holes started appearing in the blocks over the course of a week and the factory bosses called in pest control, shitting themselves they had a plague of mice.

Various checks and samples were taken - NOWT doing.

The holes kept on appearing until one night one of the internal cameras picked up the most disgusting/hilarious (depending on which way you look at it) sight ever.

My mate's colleague was caught adding his very own special brand of man fat directly into the blocks, drilling it as if his life depended on it.

The young lad thought it would be funny and was getting back at his line manager -

Never been able to go near a cheese and onion pie ever since.

Enjoy your lunch, blues!

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Once had a mate who worked at Hollands about 15 years ago. He never tired of telling people this classic.

He and a colleague were some of the people responsible for the lard/hard fat blocks which goes into your finest cheese and onion.

Holes started appearing in the blocks over the course of a week and the factory bosses called in pest control, shitting themselves they had a plague of mice.

The holes kept on appearing until one night one of the internal cameras picked up the most disgusting/hilarious (depending on which way you look at it) sight ever.

My mate's colleague was caught adding his very own special brand of man fat directly into the blocks, drilling it as if his life depended on it.

The young lad thought it would be funny and was getting back at his line manager -

Enjoy your lunch, blues!

For Fuck Sake, thats Cheese and Onion off the menu now.

Used to like a good C&O pie. Used to.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Enjoy your lunch, blues!

they dont put lard/hard fat in cheese n onion pies.
they put it in the pastry,but that'd be used for all pies.

City Slicker said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Enjoy your lunch, blues!

they dont put lard/hard fat in cheese n onion pies.
they put it in the pastry,but that'd be used for all pies.

Didsbury Blue wasn't impressed with the new "Chicken Balti" ingrediants

pubic_big-763083.jpg

Today is a truly momentous day and I’m not talking about the first day of the new season. That in itself is a perfectly ample reason to get excited, particularly for us City fans but today was particularly significant as it was the day when my prototype Hollands Chicken Balti Mk II pies arrived.

I have been moving house for the last two days and understandably I was nervous when I gave them my new address. What if the pies arrived before I did? What if I’m not in? Maybe the neighbours will steal them.

I needn’t have worried. Having settled into my new home in Cheadle on the Friday night with a few bottles I awoke on Saturday to the sound of the doorbell. Instinctively, I just knew that it was a pastry related visitor. Something deep inside me stirred and my mouth watered at the prospect of the treats in store for me.

The pie delivery man seemed genuinely reluctant to hand over the box, which I took to be a good sign.

“Pies for you mate”

“Thanks very much”

“Sign here”

My hand was shaking, I could only muster what looked like a doctors signature.

“You should have a pint with those fellas”

“I will, don’t worry”

He stood there expectantly; I think maybe he was expecting a pie as a tip.

No chance. I closed the door.

I headed straight to the kitchen simultaneously opening the box with one hand whilst turning the oven on with the other. Inside the box were six, pristine visions of pastry perfection. I set the timer on the oven for 15 minutes popped one of the savoury beauties in and paced up and down waiting for the little buzzer to go off.

IMAG0002.jpg

Doubts began to cloud my mind. What if they were no better? What if they had replaced one form of dried fruit with another? Perhaps they won’t be spicy enough. I realised I was beginning to have a full on pie panic. I sat down and took some deep breaths, rationalising the situation and soon, I was beginning to think clearly again.

I opened a can of beer even though it was just 10 O’Clock in the morning and as I popped the ring-pull the buzzer sounded. Eyes down, mouth open, pie court in session........

Verdict:
The pastry was fantastic as you would expect from Hollands and held up well throughout. The sauce was spicy and slightly sweet but in a good way, not sickly but delicate. Small succulent pieces of chicken found their way into every bite and each mouthful left a lovely residual taste. Best of all, there was not a piece of sultana or piece of fruit in sight.

I realise this is a bold statement but I thought it even better than the definitive benchmark old pie and certainly a quantum leap over Holland’s previous incarnation.

I still have five left. I may take one to Ewood this afternoon in order to sample it in its proper context. Perhaps we could get it introduced on the pitch before kick-off. I’m also hoping that our beloved team will put on a performance to match the pie.

Perhaps the pie will be a portent for the season ahead. If it is then expect silverware this season. In a club on the up, in a team full of stars The Hollands Chicken Balti pie shines just as brightly, it is a proper football pie. Manchester City deserve this pie. This pie deserves Manchester City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.