PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

And they both have owners that are prepared to dip into their pockets and invest in their business which appallingly is not allowed.
It's not really clear what Everton have done. They may have over-reached themselves with the new stadium but that investment is exempt from FFP. However you can be sure they will not be treated fairly with a PL leadership that is in the pocket of LFC and MUFC.
The management/owners of LFC did a lot behnd the scenes to try a stifle Everton's expansion in their home city. Prominent people tried to strangle the stadium bid before it got going. Like MUFC, LFC they employ dirty tricks to influence politicians, planning authorities, the media
Not just the biggest upset in football history but the biggest in gambling history across all sports.

5,000/1 at some bookmakers.

Compare that to the biggest known horse racing winner in history , anywhere in the world at 300/1.

It’s still barely believable.
There was nothing bent about the way Leicester tore us apart at the Etihad. They were easily the best team we played that season and they were better than Spurs (who collapsed as usual). Other teams were in transition and Leicester grabbed their opportunity. Everything ran for us in 2017/18 and that's how we got 100 points with the last-gasp winner. Don't get me wrong. There is plenty of corruption in sport including bent refs and players but, personally, I don't think there are any grand conspiracies. That said I have seen decisions which were obviously dishonest (the most recent one being Atwell at the swamp this season). The Mike Riley Arsenal/United match was clearly corrupt as well.

I don’t think he would get work off the back off that comment. The British sport media would not like something like that. He’s been ridiculed by every outlet and they’re talking about legal action. Nothing can really come of that though, as it’s one word against another. Which is why the interview is still up. He might be exaggerating certain points, like around the drinking, you’d hope. But he doesn’t strike me as lying. Personally I think he’s trying to minimise the details whilst still telling a story. I think he was foolish to say it, but then again he looks like he regrets it instantly. But he’s not come out and said it wasn’t true, despite the legal threats.

I’m not suggesting he invented the story as part of some big plan to get work. But there are hundreds of ex pros, relatively young men in their late 30s/ early 40s, qualified to do nothing but chat about football. All competing for work. A controversial story on a podcast, that gets a bit of publicity isn’t the worst idea to get your name out there.

My best guess would not be that he totally invented the whole tale. But that he vaguely recalls a referee making a jokey comment which could loosely be seen as controversial and embellished it to turn it in this story.

I don’t think he would get work off the back off that comment. The British sport media would not like something like that. He’s been ridiculed by every outlet and they’re talking about legal action. Nothing can really come of that though, as it’s one word against another. Which is why the interview is still up. He might be exaggerating certain points, like around the drinking, you’d hope. But he doesn’t strike me as lying. Personally I think he’s trying to minimise the details whilst still telling a story. I think he was foolish to say it, but then again he looks like he regrets it instantly. But he’s not come out and said it wasn’t true, despite the legal threats.
I'm confused. They're cheating to make Leicester, Leicester! pl champions. Not UTD not lfc, not arsenal, but little old Leicester?

How did Leicester get so much more influence than those two. And why have they not done it again?

I mean you're saying the refs had been bought?

That’s not correct. In the same way City’s FFP breaches (some of the City’s charges are FFP) are detailed as being specific breaches of Rule E, Everton’s could also be.

View attachment 73025

Further, Everton’s announcement specifically refers to acting in good faith which suggests, like City, the allegation is more than a mere technical breach. In any event, the contrast between how the matters are described is interesting.

And what do you mean by “that’s all”. FFP breaches have been used as a stick to beat City for 10 YEARS. So let’s not rush to discount Everton’s alleged breaches. They deserve everything that’s coming to them as an architect of the stupid rules that now bite them.

I wasn't discounting anything - it seems to me that they're being investigated for breaching FFP allowances for one three year period - losing more than 105M in 3 years.

I don't know for certain which rule numbers apply (I'd guess it's E.49); I just don't think it's significant that none have been cited except from those for the commission process.

I'm confused. They're cheating to make Leicester, Leicester! pl champions. Not UTD not lfc, not arsenal, but little old Leicester?

How did Leicester get so much more influence than those two. And why have they not done it again?

I mean you're saying the refs had been bought?
A new champion every 6 years was the grand plan wasn't it?

Over one game yes, over a season in this day and age, not so much.

But it's OK, we don't have to agree, and I am not saying there was a great conspiracy, I am just saying an outlier like that in many other sports could be investigated.
A lot of stars aligned the season that Leicester won -

Every one of the usual title contenders had very poor seasons at the same time.

They'd picked up Mahrez and Kante for a pittance - an absolute coup in terms of transfers, and both now, deservedly, have multiple title wins.

Vardy is a great player who peaked at exactly the right time.

They played very few games that season - ten less than most of their rivals. After October 2015, they had just two non Premier League games all season. If you look at the squad stats, they didn't play that many minutes, and played virtually the same team each week. For comparison, Rodri has already played more minutes this season, than all but one Leicester player in the entirety of that year.

Tactically they hit a bit of a sweet spot in Premier League terms - where the bus parking/counter attacking model was benefiting the smaller teams. The bigger clubs hadn't as much experience of playing against total defence every week, while the money in the game meant that most clubs could afford to bring in great attackers who were capable of breakaway goals. Leicester lucked out with Vardy and Mahrez that season, who could win games while their team mates could sit back.

I also wouldn't rule out a few favourable decisions (more likely unconscious bias, rather than deliberate). Everyone wanted them to win, and they were much less likely to come up against a ref who had any grudge, or who'd had a run in with their manager in the past.

They'd also broken FFP in the Championship to move up into the PL, and were one of the higher spenders amongst the "rest of the PL".

The extra money from the PL win/CL entry obviously helped them for a couple of years too. If you look at the Deloitte money league, they reached as high as 14th based on their 2016/17 accounts - with £271m a year - way ahead of anyone else outside the big six, so it's not a surprise they continued to be successful for a while. In comparison Spurs had revenue of £359m that year, which isn't a huge gulf. The latest accounts tell a different story and have Spurs on £523m, while Leicester are back down to £255m (Still rich in world football terms, but within a few seasons the potential to compete with the rich six has become much more difficult).

For me, they were just hit that sweet spot for one year, and it's no surprise couldn't keep it up, as financial realities caught up with them, and their best players passed their peak (Vardy, Schmeichel), or were sold (Kante, Mahrez).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.