PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

"Corruption" conjures up images of gangsters with violin cases carrying out the orders of ruthless mobsters before picking up brown envelopes stuffed with cash from well educated, well spoken millionaires over a glass of single malt. Corruption in football doesn't seem to me to conform to this pattern. I think it grows out of the divisions in the game which were very real and are still very real. In the early years of last century the growth of professionalism divided the game and City were "too professional" for the taste of the authorities. The crisis of 1904-6 was sparked by charges of match fixing by a "gentleman" who captained Villa aimed at Billy Meredith, a professional "superstar". Investigations of City's books found many violations of the rules (!!) which had not been found the year before (!). The club was nearly ruined without any real evidence being produced, but what is just as interesting was that all this worked far more to the benefit of Manchester United than any other club! They won 2 championships and an FA cup with players who had played for City until banned after 1904! This is a theme of English football. There has always been an establishment; it is true that its membership has changed and that Aston Villa are nowhere near the establishment club they were before 1914, but certain clubs have maintained their influence, for some reason, over a long period. Manchester United have always had a cosy relationship with the football authorities, Arsenal emerged in the 1930s (despite their seedy manger) with their carefully chosen aristocratic board and Liverpool have enjoyed a long period of respect while talking platitudinous nonsense. All this has led to a state of affairs where the players of the establishment are held "to play the game" and are, subconsciously or otherwise refereed to a different standard to that applied to the vulgar representatives of a nouveau oil rich club of no breeding. Thus Adebayor is an oik who has taunted loyal Arsenal fans into flattening a steward whereas Henry is an honourable player merely celebrating a goal. Mitrovic is a thug threatening a referee, not at all the same as Fernandes. We can also see it in the way Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have dominated executive positions in the football authorities. Manchester Cuty are still what they have always been - outsiders to be distrusted and neutered.

why? the conversation was about momentum, everything going their way & the world behind them & he told that story.

I don’t see what’s far fetched or sketchy.

What’s sketchy about it is he had no recollection of who the game was against. He “thinks “ the player he overheard the referee talking to was Drinkwater. He thinks the incident was over “ A second yellow or something.” And his quote over what he overheard the referee saying started off with, “ He said something like…..”

That’s pretty sketchy in my book.

I'm confused. They're cheating to make Leicester, Leicester! pl champions. Not UTD not lfc, not arsenal, but little old Leicester?

How did Leicester get so much more influence than those two. And why have they not done it again?

I mean you're saying the refs had been bought?

I’m confused too, a little old 5000/1 underdog wins the league and you wonder why it might be fixed. When just £1k would return £5M tax free! I mean the refs earn a staggering gross annual income of around £60-£70k per annum and get to retire at around 45-50 on a shitty pension, so it wouldn’t be too shabby to get a few million tax free.

You kind of added a good point there though (albeit sarcastically). Why didn’t they do it again??? They went from 41 points, to winning the league at a canter on 81 points. So you’d think they’d at least challenge for top 4 or at the very least, the Europa league the following season? But nope, they finished in 12th place on 44 points (only 10 points off relegation). A blip? Nope, season after that they finished 10th, with only 47 points. So why didn’t they even come close to doing it again? Well, for starters, the odds were no way near as good, and probably never will be again for any team.

I do know, there is no question whatsoever in my mind, they had favourable refereeing decisions that season, especially after Xmas. You could see that in there games and you can see it clear as day in the stats. Why exactly? I don’t know.

Last edited:
I’m confused too, a little old 5000/1 underdog wins the league and you wonder why it might be fixed. When just £1k would return £5M tax free! I mean the refs earn a staggering gross annual income of around £60-£70k per annum and get to retire at around 45-50 on a shitty pension, so it wouldn’t be too shabby to get a few million tax free.

You kind of added a good point there though (albeit sarcastically). Why didn’t they do it again??? They went from 41 points, to winning the league at a canter on 81 points. So you’d think they’d at least challenge for top 4 or at the very least, the Europa league the following season? But nope, they finished in 12th place on 44 points (only 10 points off relegation). A blip? Nope, season after that they finished 10th, with only 47 points. So why didn’t they even come close to doing it again? Well, for starters, the odds were no way near as good, and probably never will be again for any team.

I do know, there is no question whatsoever in my mind, they had favourable refereeing decisions that season, especially after Xmas. You could see that in there games and you can see it clear as day in the stats. Why exactly? I don’t know, but I’d speculate money.

Thats sort of the point with you guys... YOU know. No one else does, we're all fools!

Its normal human behaviour you're exhibiting tbh - You're more powerful than the rest of us plebs.

So carry on, but do try to not just see your pov, try to disprove it tbh.

Last edited:
Thats sort of the point with you guys... YOU know. No one else does, we're all fools.... Its normal human behaviour you're exhibitting tbh. You're more powerful than the rest of us plebs.

Carry on, but do try to not just see your pov, try to disprove it tbh.
So true. It’s so fucking tedious.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.