PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

If it follows the same path as the UEFA investigation there will be selective briefings to our commercial rivals followed by leaks to selected media outlets and these will be timed to cause maximum damage to our club. Not much has leaked out so far but I don't believe for one minute that Directors of LFC and MUFC have not been kept in the loop by their sources at the Premier League (and the EFL). I am sure the stories will surface before the FA Cup final or CL Final if we are involved in it.
Oh yeah, we can expect a deluge of this sort of shizzle, dripping with same old clichéd bollocks....

A salary cap isn't exactly a new concept, it's used in pretty much every other major sporting code around the world to good effect.

Is it? Trying to think of a major and international sport that uses a salary cap? Not trying to be a smart-arse here by the way, and I am sure there must be some, I just genuinely don't know, or care, enough about other sports to be aware of one .....

Is it? Trying to think of a major and international sport that uses a salary cap? Not trying to be a smart-arse here by the way, and I am sure there must be some, I just genuinely don't know, or care, enough about other sports to be aware of one .....
I can't make up my mind about a salary cap. If one was introduced in isolation to any other changes it would be damaging to the sport and especially the Premier League. What I would support is some way of ring-fencing a percentage of the money paid out by clubs to players, and also by broadcasters, to be distributed to grass-roots football or lower leagues.
There has also been talk of a transfer fee "tax" to help lower leagues. If it was a percentage of the fee it would mean that the big spending clubs would provide the most to grass roots football. It could even used to help reduce ticket prices for matchgoing fans. There is a huge amount of wealth in football and some it should be trickled down to paying supporters and communities.

A salary cap isn't exactly a new concept, it's used in pretty much every other major sporting code around the world to good effect.

Name a sporting code which has multiple national leagues. The insinuation is that it’s fair and equal so it can’t be based on the big 4 leagues salaries as that makes it unfair. We also know the main protagonists don’t want it fair, they want an economic advantage without being disadvantaged by others.

I can't make up my mind about a salary cap. If one was introduced in isolation to any other changes it would be damaging to the sport and especially the Premier League. What I would support is some way of ring-fencing a percentage of the money paid out by clubs to players, and also by broadcasters, to be distributed to grass-roots football or lower leagues.
There has also been talk of a transfer fee "tax" to help lower leagues. If it was a percentage of the fee it would mean that the big spending clubs would provide the most to grass roots football. It could even used to help reduce ticket prices for matchgoing fans. There is a huge amount of wealth in football and some it should be trickled down to paying supporters and communities.
It's a bit if a dilemma isn't it? Everyone thinks top footballers earn an obscene amount of money and a lot of that money would be better kept within the game through, as you say, more investment in grass roots football.

But we all know that isn't the rationale behind it. It is to stop teams making the most money hoovering up the best players. Not a bad motivation, per se. But where do these teams making the most money get it from? From being successful in competitions that give huge rewards to the few clubs participating. So what do we want? Huge rewards with a salary cap and more money to grass roots football? Or less rewards for participating, with more money going to grass roots football at source without the need for a salary cap (especially given that now total salary costs are capped as a % of revenues anyway).

I am pretty sure the big clubs don't want the latter, and understandably so from their point of view, but from a neutral's or a fan's point of view, and possibly a legal point of view, surely it is the better solution?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.