PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The idea that an independent regulator coming in will just take these charges off the table is a bit fanciful, to say the least.

Agreed but you get the impression the PL is pursuing this because key players demand it rather than it being evidence based…. You’d hope an independent regulator would take a more balanced and objective view, so the scale of the accusations would probably change from the present ‘kitchen sink‘ approach.

Does non compliance with FFP necessarily mean that your statutory accounts are false?
No. FFP sets a limit on what you can spend. You can produce perfectly accurate accounts yet fail FFP.

False accounting is knowingly producing accounts that don't reflect the true financial position of the reporting entity. So my former bosses at an insurance company deliberately excluded some large claims from the system, which led to them reporting a significantly better result than the real one. Three of them went to jail for 14 years between them for that. That had a lot to do with it being a quoted company, plus there was a clear trail showing that the three knew what they were doing, plus the CEO was also doing secret deals with reinsurers. While I understood their motives, it was fraud, pure and simple.

But accounting isn't always black and white. You can treat certain things in very different ways. That's why there are accounting standards. Stock is one of those. You can value stock in a number of ways, all of which will have an impact the bottom line. Any issues would also have to be material though, and a few quid either way won't be.

In 2011 and 2012, when that Mancini Al-Jazira contract for £1.75m a year was in force, we made losses of £195m and £95 respectively. Even if the PL commission were to decide we should have included that in our accounts, it makes fuck all difference overall. So there's no way, in my view, of that leading to criminal charges. It certainly made no difference to FFP, as we failed anyway.

With Fordham and the image rights, that was a grey area, I'd say. We needed additional revenue (as we thought) to avoid FFP sanctions and that was one of the things we did to generate that revenue. It made no difference as it happens, as UEFA deftly moved the goalposts, leaving us stranded. But I assume we had solid legal advice on that, and it was one of those scenarios where there was no breach of the letter of the law. UEFA were aware of it, as I've said, and didn't pursue it even though it was within the six-year limitation period.

Last edited:
No. FFP sets a limit on what you can spend. You can produce perfectly accurate accounts yet fail FFP.

False accounting is knowingly producing accounts that don't reflect the true financial position of the reporting entity. So my former bosses at an insurance company deliberately excluded some large claims from the system, which led to them reporting a significantly better result than the real one. Three of them went to jail for 14 years between them for that. That had a lot to do with it being a quoted company, plus there was a clear trail showing that the three knew what they were doing, plus the CEO was also doing secret deals with reinsurers. While I understood their motives, it was fraud, pure and simple.

But accounting isn't always black and white. You can treat certain things in very different ways. That's why there are accounting standards. Stock is one of those. You can value stock in a number of ways, all of which will have an impact the bottom line. Any issues would also have to be material and a few quid either way won't be.

In 2011 and 2012, when that Mancini Al-Jazira contract for £1.75m a year was in force, we made losses of £195m and £95 respectively. Even if the PL commission were to decide we should have included that in our accounts, it makes fuck all difference overall. So there's no way, in my view, of that leading to criminal charges. It certainly made no difference to FFP, as we failed anyway.

With Fordham and the image rights, that was a grey area, I'd say. We needed additional revenue (as we thought) to avoid FFP sanctions and that was one of the things we did to generate that revenue. It made no difference as it happens, as UEFA deftly moved the goalposts, leaving us stranded. But I assume we had solid legal advice on that, and it was one of those scenarios where there was no breach of the letter of the law. UEFA were aware of it, as I've said, and didn't pursue it even though it was within the six-year limitation period.

Agreed. And the same materiality issue for Etisalat, it's just too small.

And don't get me started on Etihad. The PL's premise is just too ridiculous for words, and makes no sense from the accounting viewpoint either.

All that's left is non-compliance.

Agreed. And the same materiality issue for Etisalat, it's just too small.

And don't get me started on Etihad. The PL's premise is just too ridiculous for words, and makes no sense from the accounting viewpoint either.

All that's left is non-compliance.
And whilst the PL have eyes fixed and focused on City those pesky Chavs get to work on balancing their books. All fair and above board mind

I think if this is drawn out its because the PL are backtracking and struggling not City.
Khaldoons demeanour also suggests this in my opinion.
how do you know they are backtracking, i would have thought they are going even harder knowing the resources city have to defend themselves and what happened with CAS, i would have thought they would not have even come this far if they didnt think they had some strong evidence on us that is different to what UEFA had

how do you know they are backtracking, i would have thought they are going even harder knowing the resources city have to defend themselves and what happened with CAS, i would have thought they would not have even come this far if they didnt think they had some strong evidence on us that is different to what UEFA had
If they had strong evidence it would have been in the public domain by now.
They are fishing and we are not giving them the bait.
As I and others have said the burden of proof is with them.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.