PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

It’s incredible how quickly that escalated in a pre-internet age.

The power of the tabloids in the 80s. Everyone actually read the same front page stories, none of this “feeds” nonsense.

Add to the fact that your customer base was likely Sun & Mirror readers & you’re done for.

But who snitched? In a room with people who have common interests, it wasn’t the worst comment & hardly front page news. I’m sure there is more skulduggery behind it.

I have never fully understand point nr 1
lets just simplify it .
Lets just say the contract between Etihad and City is 40 million pounds per year. Are Pl and UEFA before them saying that we are putting more then 40 million into the club or are Etihad just paying part of the 40 million.
I just know that CAS said not guilty.

UEFA claimed Mansour gave money to Etisalat and Etihad so they didn't have to carry the cost of all the sponsorship themselves. CAS found there was no evidence that that happened.

As far as we know, the PL are alleging the same. They may have more evidence after a four year investigation, but most people think that is very, very unlikely.

In retrospect that’s a very odd list of clubs.

City
Villa
Southampton
Swansea
Fulham
West Brom

And Reading abstained.
Not entirely.
Villa under Randy Lerner had ambitions to break into the upper reaches of the PL.
Southampton had been producing some excellent young players and investing in other good prospects such as Van Dijk and looked a decent team when Pochettino was in charge so they too would have had ambitions to push on.
Fulham had reached the Europa League final in 2010. Swansea were pushing into the top half and would win the League Cup in 2013.
All their owners could probably see what was going on with FFP and realised it threatened their own interests.

I think it’s a bit unfair to ascribe the protectionist motives of Bill Kenwright to Everton supporters, who won’t have been consulted on how the club should have voted.

No one on here blames City fans for Swales’ incompetence. City were founder members of the PL with Swales at the helm. Does that make the formation of the PL our responsibility as supporters?
On the same lines, blaming Everton's current owners for the earlier owner's vote is a bit like blaming Khaldoon for the shit we suffered under Swales.

I think it’s a bit unfair to ascribe the protectionist motives of Bill Kenwright to Everton supporters, who won’t have been consulted on how the club should have voted.

No one on here blames City fans for Swales’ incompetence. City were founder members of the PL with Swales at the helm. Does that make the formation of the PL our responsibility as supporters?

The thing is @gordondaviesmoustache it wasn’t a secret back room vote, everyone was aware, it was well publicised & the Everton fans were happy with it. It was seen as a way of stopping City & they were up for it.
Obviously they have realised now that it scuppers clubs with ambition so I’m caught between feeling sorry & fuck em.

The thing is @gordondaviesmoustache it wasn’t a secret back room vote, everyone was aware, it was well publicised & the Everton fans were happy with it. It was seen as a way of stopping City & they were up for it.
Obviously they have realised now that it scuppers clubs with ambition so I’m caught between feeling sorry & fuck em.
I agree with you. I remember hearing the words, “Manchester City must be stopped” rather a lot around the time of ffp being mooted. Everton fans were amongst the loudest, many of them saying SM should have bought their club instead of ours because we had “no history”.

Bollocks to them.

I agree with you. I remember hearing the words, “Manchester City must be stopped” rather a lot around the time of ffp being mooted. Everton fans were amongst the loudest, many of them saying SM should have bought their club instead of ours because we had “no history”.

Bollocks to them.
Sheikh Mansour nearly did buy Everton. He had a £100m deal agreed with Kenwright, but as soon as Billy Boy found out how rich HRH was, he doubled the price which pissed Sheikh Mansour off.

Around this crucial point, enter Garry Cooke with his now infamous PowerPoint presentation. Out went negotiations with Mike Ashley & Bill Kenwright, & a deal was struck with Thaksin Shinawatra for the sale of Manchester City instead.

The rest is history... :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.