PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Didn't want to add to this but ....

Association Football

The game of association football is played in accordance with the Laws of the Game, a set of rules that has been in effect since 1863 and maintained by the IFAB since 1886.
The term soccer comes from Oxford "-er" slang, which was prevalent at the University of Oxford in England from about 1875, and is thought to have been borrowed from the slang of Rugby School. Initially spelt assoccer (a shortening of "association"), it was later reduced to the modern spelling.[11][12] This form of slang also gave rise to rugger for rugby football, fiver and tenner for five pound and ten pound notes, and the now-archaic footer that was also a name for association football.[13] The word soccer arrived at its current form in 1895 and was first recorded in 1889 in the earlier form of socca.[14]

Posh gits ruining football again. Anyway ... no news?

Didn't want to add to this but ....

Association Football

The game of association football is played in accordance with the Laws of the Game, a set of rules that has been in effect since 1863 and maintained by the IFAB since 1886.
The term soccer comes from Oxford "-er" slang, which was prevalent at the University of Oxford in England from about 1875, and is thought to have been borrowed from the slang of Rugby School. Initially spelt assoccer (a shortening of "association"), it was later reduced to the modern spelling.[11][12] This form of slang also gave rise to rugger for rugby football, fiver and tenner for five pound and ten pound notes, and the now-archaic footer that was also a name for association football.[13] The word soccer arrived at its current form in 1895 and was first recorded in 1889 in the earlier form of socca.[14]

Posh gits ruining football again. Anyway ... no news?
See also boozer, hooker, Yorker. (That’s enough ‘er’s. Ed.)

Is it just Gorton you speak for, or all of the footballing world? I’m confused.

Always is a very long time.

As for the assertion that soccer is a word that only exists for Americans, I fear you may be stepping outside your expertise and anointed position as the spokesperson for the 99.9%, especially given the numerous examples provided…by others.

By the way, are you a paid spokesperson for the world of football, or just a virtual spokesperson?

This is all so confusing considering the person who made the original comment apologized and I, in turn, did likewise for suggesting they were saying something they weren’t trying to say.

Now, where were we…Football for the 99.9% and Soccer for the Americans?

And, my apologies if this is all a little pissy. Woke up for a pee in a foreign city, hit my phone to check the time, saw it was the middle of the night and I didn’t seem ready to go back to sleep, so I thought a little read of BM might help. Not sure it’s working, so I might be a little cranky!
When I was a youngster you risked getting a slap off your mates and being told to go and play rounders or netball with the girls for using the S word. I've never heard anyone refer to football as anything other but remember gridiron as always being referred to by that name. Claiming gridiron is football is akin to calling pogo stick racing formula one.

When I was a youngster you risked getting a slap off your mates and being told to go and play rounders or netball with the girls for using the S word. I've never heard anyone refer to football as anything other but remember gridiron as always being referred to by that name. Claiming gridiron is football is akin to calling pogo stick racing formula one.
Formula 1 pogo sticks….hmmmmm….

When I was a youngster in Rochdale in the 70s my grandads and dad both called it soccer, nobody cared less, don’t understand why some people seem to care now.Seems to be just because Americans use it which seems a bit of a daft reason to dislike something to me.

Interesting. I grew up in Rochdale in the 70s and 80s and we all called it Soccer. Still do to be honest, particularly now I'm in Australia

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.