PL Ipswich Town (h) post match thread

Great Result, never got out of second gear and players still coming back after the Euros. Rico was immense and glad Jonny and Jack got some minutes.

I don't know why we don't sing the complete song:

I've never felt more like singing the blues,
When City win and utd lose,
Oh city,
You've got me singin' the blues.

I've never felt more like singin' all night,
Cos City are great and utd are shite,
Oh City,
You've got me singin' the blues!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240824_184246_Gallery.jpg

The Striking Viking!

Today marked Erling's 23rd career hat-trick at the age of 24! He was absolutely clinical, & put a valiant Ipswich to the sword.

The Ipswich goal came out of the blue, & I thought Ederson could've done better tbh. The shock of their opener which came from them springing our off-side trap, from which their strike on goal bobbled underneath Ederson, made us shift up a couple of gears to equalise through a penalty.

The very good Savinho was brought down on the edge of the penalty area after bamboozling the defender. Haaland stepped up & despatched the penalty with aplomb to bring us level.

IMG-20240824-WA0002.jpg

We continued to charge forward, & Savinho pressed & robbed Muric of the ball in their penalty area, which broke loose to an on-rushing KDB to stroke the ball into an empty net to take us into the lead.

Not finished, & with our tails up, King Kev played a brilliant ball over their last line of defence, which Erling nodded past Muric, but running wide to the left he somehow managed to wrap his foot around the ball & lift it over the covering defender to put us 3-1 ahead!

Both Lewis & KDB rattled the crossbar with goal efforts, with Lewis looking stunned at having missed from 3 metres out! We ended the half well & went into the break 3-1 up.

IMG-20240824-WA0003.jpg

Our dominance continued after the break & I suspect Ipswich had now decided their best course of action was to limit us as best they could to stop us running up a cricket score.

We lost the brilliant Kovacic to an impact injury early in the second half, & John Stones came on as his replacement. The game meandered along with City dominating, but we seemed to lose our cutting edge & rhythm after Kovacic departed.

hq720.jpg

Then the moment we'd all been waiting for. On 70 minutes, Guardiola introduced Jack Grealish & Ilkay Gundogan for his second City debut to rapturous applause!

His first touch was heralded with a huge roar from the Etihad crowd, as Mr Whippy settled into his usual central midfield role as if he'd never been away.

We continued to dominate until the final 10 minutes, but Ipswich continued to frustrate us by putting 11 men behind the ball.

BUT cometh the hour, cometh the Viking! Erling battled alongside Rico Lewis to regain the ball at the right-side edge of the box. Haaland dummied to create space for himself, & with no opening apparent, he lashed a shot into the bottom right hand corner, past a flailing Muric to collect yet ANOTHER hat-trick match ball!

20240824_185152.jpg

That was game, set & match to a vibrant City! KDB was brilliant, as was Savinho. Bernardo pulled Ipswich all over the pitch, BUT irrespective of Haaland scoring a hat-trick, my MoTM must go to Rico Lewis for a dominant display of skill, tackling & energy!

I only wish Rico could've capped off a superb performance with the goal his display deserved. It was a good outing for the Sky Blues, & Ipswich must be praised for putting in the effort, & trying to play football when they had the ball.

Roll on West Ham!

Last edited:
Class shone through as you'd expect. Blitzed them within 15 minutes where we looked electric then coasted.

I generally fully understand the game management approach we often take but felt like we switched into that mode way too early today. With it still being the start of the season, we probably would have benefitted more from keeping up the intensity at least for the first half and perhaps upto 60 minutes just to get into the groove and get the fitness levels up, An hour of keep ball got too pedestrian. Thought we could have made more subs early too the likes of Nunes and mcatee have everything to prove, they'd have kept the intensity up. Other than that and the potential kovacic injury a very good first home win. Want to see us lead the table all the way this season instead of having to hunt somebody down, we've made a great start under difficult circumstances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.