PL v CL

A for me everyday of the week. The 20 coefficient points we gained from the Europa QF have done is no favours with regards to teams drawn in the 2 CL campaigns so far. If we were to progress in this competition we will have to do it the hard way.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I usually hate these "would you rather..." threads but watching the Guardian video preview of the season, Amy Lawrence said that it was important for us to do better in the CL. Obviously we'd all like to win both competitions but which of these scenarios would you regard as most acceptable this season?

A) Win the PL and go out of the CL at the group stages again.
B) Come 2nd in the PL, qualify from the group but go out the CL in the last 16.
C) Come 3rd in the PL and go out of the CL in the QF.
D) Come 4th in the PL and go out of the CL in the SF.
E) Finish out of the top 4 and win the CL, like Chelsea.

I'd go for C. We'd qualify automatically for next season's CL and do well financially and coefficient-wise from a QF appearance

Premiership > CL > FA > Carling cup

The league should always be the priority so I'm going for A.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I usually hate these "would you rather..." threads but watching the Guardian video preview of the season, Amy Lawrence said that it was important for us to do better in the CL. Obviously we'd all like to win both competitions but which of these scenarios would you regard as most acceptable this season?

I'd go for C. We'd qualify automatically for next season's CL and do well financially and coefficient-wise from a QF appearance
A - always A for me from now until forever more.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:13 pm --<br /><br />
Marvin said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
We absolutely have to do well in the CL this season as we will be losing the 20 coefficient points we got for getting to the Europa League QF in 2008/09.

If we go out too early this season we effectively go backwards.
So what? Impacts on seeding and the draw for the Group Stages, but we were in Pot 2 and got a terrible draw 12 months ago.

We must challenge for the title this season - nothing else matters as much
Fully agree. The PL is the measure of how good a season has been and always will be.

Anyway, Madrid were in pot 1 last year and didn't exactly get a easy draw.

Skashion said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Skashion said:
E. If I could pick E every season I'd do E until the end of time.

What's the money for 5th and CL winners compared to 1st and out at the group stage?
There's virtually no money for winning the Premier League versus fifth. There's a boat load of it for winning the Champions League.

If we keep winning the league it will raise our profile and we will get better sponsorship deals in the long term. Look at the rags they've made their fortune by being consistent in the league for so many years.

Skashion said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Skashion said:
E. If I could pick E every season I'd do E until the end of time.

What's the money for 5th and CL winners compared to 1st and out at the group stage?
There's virtually no money for winning the Premier League versus fifth. There's a boat load of it for winning the Champions League.
That totally ignores bonuses from Sponsors and marketing.

I'm getting old these days and have never physically seen city win a European trophy. Been there for 2 each of Championships, FA Cups, League Cups, Old 2nd Division and Charity Shield wins so it's 2 X CL for me. 12 Trophies would just about balance out all the other bits I have witnessed and experienced!!

Prestwich_Blue said:

A, and win the Europa League and the FA Cup ;0)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.