Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

Re: Aleks Kolarov - take a bow

peter.evans said:
Goldenboy87 said:
cleavers said:
Are you his agent ? So you rate him, but despite repeated requests, you've yet to answer the question about what makes his defensive abilities good (I'd take average for a start). We all know his attacking abilities can be good, but explain these good defending abilities to us all.

His biggest problem defensively, is his attacking ability, because unlike Clichy, when he overlaps, and we lose the ball, he's almost never back quick enough to help defend. Clichy on the other hand does get back, and he does it quickly, he'll cover into midfield, allowing one of them to go back into a central defensive or left sided position, or he'll cover into a central defensive area himself, and he uses his pace to get back immediately.

Kolarov for all his attacking ability rarely does, and it causes huge gaps at the back, as it did for Wednesday's goal on Sunday, with others all out of position, and Kolarov meandering back to the half way line ready for the restart.

I've given up mate, not sure he is going to give any explanation as to why he rates Kolarov defensively other than he is good going forward and has an excellent left foot!!!?

I think we should wave the white flag and just accept Kolarov is a good defender. If I keep telling myself that enough times I'm sure I will start to believe it....

Yes he does get back and defend ! How can he be blamed for Wednesday's goal!? He made an overlapping run, Jovetic casually gave the ball away and then Boyata compounded the issue by ball watching or rather following and left the man he should have been marking on his own.Goal ! Of course it was all Kolarovs fault !

No I'm not his agent ! Daft comment.

peter.evans said:
Maly Wilson said:
schfc6 said:
Kolarov is getting a hard time of it of late. Some going as far as to suggest he's not fit to wear the shirt. I would ask those saying such things to cast their mind back just 12 months, he was one of our most consistant and important pergormers from Christmas last season.

Clichy looked like he'd never played before.

I hear the same arguements time and time again, with absolutely no substance to them. Poor defensively? He was part of the Mancini defence that was very tight. Gave away very little. Mancini and Pellegrini have both constantly picked him.

Yes, he's in a poor run of form, against Burnley he was woeful, as were most against Burnley.

I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it.

This thread was quite when he created several chances against Palace. Whilst keeping their dangerous wingers quiet.

Kolarov is a very useful member of teh squad. He's easy to boo, as is Dzeko. Milner was every bit as poor as Kolarov Sunday first half. Didn't/doon't hear groans when he simply twats it out of play.

Kolarov tries the hardest of balls, he tries to put them on a plate for a one touch finish. This is not an exact science and he can not be expected to this more than 2 or 3 times a game. His passing is very under rated. Yes he can be often out of postition. As can Zaba, but we as a team cope. The full backs are often the widest on the pitch, often furthest from our own goal. It goes without saying that if play breaks down they will be out of postition.

This escapes many, including the moron sitting behind me that thinks shoooot is the anser to everything and Ya Ya is a waste of space.

I really have to disagree with the bits in bold. Firstly, under Mancini we were a defensive unit starting from the front, you defend as a team not as individuals. Yes we were tight under Mancini, but I'd suggest that this was because of the way we were set up as a team, not because Kolarov is a great defender. Hence the reason why you get certain managers whose teams concede very little regardless of the club they're at or the players they have at their disposal. Much the same as some managers have teams who score loads & concede loads (Twitcher for instance). So for me, your argument doesn't hold water when saying Kolarov is a great defender because he played in a team that didn't concede many. This was Mancini's doing. To prove further, under Hughes we conceded loads, Mancini came in & with the same players we stopped conceding.

I'm still to hear anybody explain which attributes Kolarov has which make him a great defender.

There have been a number of goals which he has been a fault for, but so has Kompany, Zabba, MDM etc, which happens, that's football. However, Kompany, Zabba & MDM are superb defenders as they have the right attributes. Kolarov doesn't, simple as that. Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but seriously, anybody who thinks he's a great DEFENDER has a completely different understanding of football to me.

If somebody.......anybody can tell me why they think he's a great defender, I'd honesty love to hear their reasons & saying because we don't concede many as a team really doesn't wash as you defend as a team in football with the Manager determining how the team defends. What the front players to defensively impacts on the midfield, which impacts on the defence.

No no no. Where does anyone say he is a great defender ? You and the anti Kolarov brigade are saying he is a shit defender who should never wear the shirt again, as we are constantly told.

Some of us are saying he is a good defender and an outstanding attacking option. Therefore an excellent squad player who certainly should be wearing the shirt again !

No no no to which bit? It has been mentioned that Kolarov is either a great player or great defender in this thread, but I really can't be arsed checking which it was. However, I'm afraid that you're putting words in my mouth. Yes I've said he's shite at defending, but when the fuck have I said he should never wear the shirt again?

Can you please enlighten me as to why you think he's a good defender?

I agree that he should wear the shirt again, never said otherwise, so again you're putting words in my mouth to suit your argument instead of putting together a succinct answer as to why he's a good (glad you agree he's not great) defender. You've even been asked by others & yet you still don't answer....why is that?

peter.evans said:
peter.evans said:
Maly Wilson said:
I really have to disagree with the bits in bold. Firstly, under Mancini we were a defensive unit starting from the front, you defend as a team not as individuals. Yes we were tight under Mancini, but I'd suggest that this was because of the way we were set up as a team, not because Kolarov is a great defender. Hence the reason why you get certain managers whose teams concede very little regardless of the club they're at or the players they have at their disposal. Much the same as some managers have teams who score loads & concede loads (Twitcher for instance). So for me, your argument doesn't hold water when saying Kolarov is a great defender because he played in a team that didn't concede many. This was Mancini's doing. To prove further, under Hughes we conceded loads, Mancini came in & with the same players we stopped conceding.

I'm still to hear anybody explain which attributes Kolarov has which make him a great defender.

There have been a number of goals which he has been a fault for, but so has Kompany, Zabba, MDM etc, which happens, that's football. However, Kompany, Zabba & MDM are superb defenders as they have the right attributes. Kolarov doesn't, simple as that. Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but seriously, anybody who thinks he's a great DEFENDER has a completely different understanding of football to me.

If somebody.......anybody can tell me why they think he's a great defender, I'd honesty love to hear their reasons & saying because we don't concede many as a team really doesn't wash as you defend as a team in football with the Manager determining how the team defends. What the front players to defensively impacts on the midfield, which impacts on the defence.

No no no. Where does anyone say he is a great defender ? You and the anti Kolarov brigade are saying he is a shit defender who should never where the shirt again, as we are constantly told.

Some of us are saying he is a good defender and an outstanding attacking option. Therefore an excellent squad player who certainly should be wearing the shirt again !
p.a. so if you defend as a team and he is part of the team does he get no credit at all ? Strange to discredit your own argument !

What the fuck has credit got to do with anything? He's a poor defender but not a bad footballer, how does that discredit my argument? You seem to be clutching at straws now mate.

I'll help you out if you like as you don't seem to be able to explain what attributes would make him good at defending?

Which of these attributes does Kolarov excel at?

a) Decision making as to when to close a player down
b) Closing player down quickly & at pace
c) Angle of approach when closing player down
d) Body shape when defending against an opposition player
e) Timing of tackle
f) Covering your centre backs (if a full back)
g) Awareness of who's running in behind you
h) Blocking crosses or shots

These are the main attributes required to be good at defending, which is actual fact, not just conjecture or my opinion. I'd also like to add these which are less important & more my opinion than anything else:

i) Quick change of pace
j) Being able to turn on a sixpence
k) Not bottling out of 50-50's

If you don't want a sensible discussion about this, then please feel free to pick one bit out of my comments to discredit my argument. If you want a sensible discussion & not an I think he's good cos he's my bestest player & I love him so leave him alone you bully discussion, then which of the above do you think he's good at?

For me all of the above are exactly what makes him a poor defender as he is weak in all of the areas mentioned above.

peter.evans said:
peter.evans said:
Goldenboy87 said:
I've given up mate, not sure he is going to give any explanation as to why he rates Kolarov defensively other than he is good going forward and has an excellent left foot!!!?

I think we should wave the white flag and just accept Kolarov is a good defender. If I keep telling myself that enough times I'm sure I will start to believe it....

Yes he does get back and defend ! How can he be blamed for Wednesday's goal!? He made an overlapping run, Jovetic casually gave the ball away and then Boyata compounded the issue by ball watching or rather following and left the man he should have been marking on his own.Goal ! Of course it was all Kolarovs fault !

Another daft comment is calling people ungrateful clueless numbnuts when their opinion differs from yours

Neither of our left backs were exceptional last season, despite winning the league and league cup, and I think at least part of it was the loss of Gareth Barry.
Not saying we should have kept him or anything like that, the time was probably right for both parties to say goodbye, but he shielded our left backs brilliantly and intelligently on that side of the pitch.
If they were beaten by their winger, Barry had already dropped in behind to give them another man to beat and often mopping up before it came to that.
I would venture Nastasic would have benefitted as well. He is on his way out and I for one think that's a shame as the kid definitely had something.
Both Fernandinho (excellent player) and Fernando (not convinced by that geezer at all so far) are naturally right footed, so the cover isn't the same. Their natural inclination is to drift towards the right.
Barry definitely made both Clichy and Kolarov look better than they really are and for me left back one of THE priority positions to strengthen in the summer.
Not many options though.
If one goes this summer it will probably be AK as Italian clubs love him and Gael counts as association-trained.

Quoting yourself is quite narcissistic

Maly Wilson said:
peter.evans said:
peter.evans said:

Another daft comment is calling people ungrateful clueless numbnuts when their opinion differs from yours

No its not. Ungrateful because they are never happy despite the success we have had. Clueless because they have limited knowledge of football and numbnuts because they spend the whole game criticising individual players rather than supporting the team.

Maly Wilson said:
peter.evans said:
peter.evans said:
No no no. Where does anyone say he is a great defender ? You and the anti Kolarov brigade are saying he is a shit defender who should never where the shirt again, as we are constantly told.

p.a. so if you defend as a team and he is part of the team does he get no credit at all ? Strange to discredit your own argument !

What the fuck has credit got to do with anything? He's a poor defender but not a bad footballer, how does that discredit my argument? You seem to be clutching at straws now mate.

I'll help you out if you like as you don't seem to be able to explain what attributes would make him good at defending?

Which of these attributes does Kolarov excel at?

a) Decision making as to when to close a player down
b) Closing player down quickly & at pace
c) Angle of approach when closing player down
d) Body shape when defending against an opposition player
e) Timing of tackle
f) Covering your centre backs (if a full back)
g) Awareness of who's running in behind you
h) Blocking crosses or shots

These are the main attributes required to be good at defending, which is actual fact, not just conjecture or my opinion. I'd also like to add these which are less important & more my opinion than anything else:

i) Quick change of pace
j) Being able to turn on a sixpence
k) Not bottling out of 50-50's

If you don't want a sensible discussion about this, then please feel free to pick one bit out of my comments to discredit my argument. If you want a sensible discussion & not an I think he's good cos he's my bestest player & I love him so leave him alone you bully discussion, then which of the above do you think he's good at?

For me all of the above are exactly what makes him a poor defender as he is weak in all of the areas mentioned above.

Firstly, I know what makes a good defender. I have played football to a decent level for 40 years so think I might have an idea, but thanks for pointing out some of the attributes, which in my opinion Kolarov does possess and you obviously do not. By the way you forgot the most important thing any player, not just a defender needs to be able to do well to be a good defender and that is the ability to retain a football ! If you've got the ball the opposition can't score, this is why we defend well as a team because they are all very good in possession from 1 to 11. Kolarov possesses excellent technique and ball skill,very important in my opinion. obviously you dont think he is the bestest player ever and don't love him. I think he is a very good player, as are pretty much all of our players, who deserves our support rather than being slagged by the numbnuts for the whole game every time he plays, despite many, many good games and effective contributions to our success over the last five years. It would be nice to think that by making these points it might mske some people think twice about how they conduct themselves at the games. On here it is different and you are more than entitled to your opinion like everyone else.

Maly Wilson said:
schfc6 said:
Kolarov is getting a hard time of it of late. Some going as far as to suggest he's not fit to wear the shirt. I would ask those saying such things to cast their mind back just 12 months, he was one of our most consistant and important pergormers from Christmas last season.

Clichy looked like he'd never played before.

I hear the same arguements time and time again, with absolutely no substance to them. Poor defensively? He was part of the Mancini defence that was very tight. Gave away very little. Mancini and Pellegrini have both constantly picked him.

Yes, he's in a poor run of form, against Burnley he was woeful, as were most against Burnley.

I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it.

This thread was quite when he created several chances against Palace. Whilst keeping their dangerous wingers quiet.

Kolarov is a very useful member of teh squad. He's easy to boo, as is Dzeko. Milner was every bit as poor as Kolarov Sunday first half. Didn't/doon't hear groans when he simply twats it out of play.

Kolarov tries the hardest of balls, he tries to put them on a plate for a one touch finish. This is not an exact science and he can not be expected to this more than 2 or 3 times a game. His passing is very under rated. Yes he can be often out of postition. As can Zaba, but we as a team cope. The full backs are often the widest on the pitch, often furthest from our own goal. It goes without saying that if play breaks down they will be out of postition.

This escapes many, including the moron sitting behind me that thinks shoooot is the anser to everything and Ya Ya is a waste of space.

Well, it seems you don't actually disagree. If in a defensive system you agree Kolarov is a decent defender. I have never once suggested Kolarov to be a 'great defender'. As I don't believe him to be a great defender.

He is a decent defender, much better than other defenders with his attacking intent. Could he be a better defender whilst being as effective going forwards? I doubt it. If he were he'd be just about the best left back in the World.

So yes, he could be a better defender, for him to be a better defender we have two options, 1, do away with Pellegrini's front foot attacking style that requires the full backs to give width or 2, 2, sack Pellegrini and bring in someone more defensive.

As I see it Pellegrini uses Kolarov in games where attacking is the main concern, and Clichy for a more defensive option. I see this as the best of both Worlds.

Just for kicks, name me one left back from the World Cup that showed that they were capable of Kolarov's attacking and Clichy's defending.

Ashley Cole is too old.

cleavers said:
peter.evans said:

Are you his agent ? So you rate him, but despite repeated requests, you've yet to answer the question about what makes his defensive abilities good (I'd take average for a start). We all know his attacking abilities can be good, but explain these good defending abilities to us all.

His biggest problem defensively, is his attacking ability, because unlike Clichy, when he overlaps, and we lose the ball, he's almost never back quick enough to help defend. Clichy on the other hand does get back, and he does it quickly, he'll cover into midfield, allowing one of them to go back into a central defensive or left sided position, or he'll cover into a central defensive area himself, and he uses his pace to get back immediately.

Kolarov for all his attacking ability rarely does, and it causes huge gaps at the back, as it did for Wednesday's goal on Sunday, with others all out of position, and Kolarov meandering back to the half way line ready for the restart.

The Wednesday goal? Three players to blame, Jovetic, giving the ball away whilst your full backs are pushed up, Mangala allowing the run down the channel and ball in too easily and Finally Boyata for losing sight of his man.
The fact that you think Kolarov should have caught up a ball is ridiculous.

You want examples of Kolarov being av decent defender, I gave one. He was part of Mancini's very tight defence. I admit he's not the best defender in the World be his defensive skills are sufficient considering his attacking skills.

I have asked for direct examples of Kolarov mistakes leading to goals, so far Stoke has been mentioned, not really his fault, you suggested Wednesday which is in no way his fault, and Lisbon years ago in the Europa league.

I can't ever remember a winger giving him the runaround to such an extent he was on his arse more than Jim Royal, like Zaba in Rome.

Yes he could be better defensively, he has proved that. For that though you have to forgo much of his attacking adventure.

The fact that you feel the need to belittle those for defending Kolarov a two time PL winner and integral part of our very successful team is a little bit bemusing.

Perhaps you feel the best way to get a low in confidence returning from injury player back to his best is to moan, groan and slag him off on the Internet, I don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.