Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

Re: Aleks Kolarov - take a bow

peter.evans said:
peter.evans said:
Goldenboy87 said:
The first opportunity was for Kolarov to take the yellow card, it happens every single game near enough, not sure just thinking Fernandinho will sort it is a reasonable argument! My memory usually aint that great but Fernandinho had a yellow card already and if he had committed a foul he would have got a red anyway.

Is that the best you can come up with ? Where are all these mistakes people keep going on about ? The Diouf goal was a collective error and Hart certainly should have saved it ! Maybe its down to the fact that some players are seen as heros and others villains, hence Captain Fantastic, Zabba ( whos had an average season, e..g. the stupid pen v Sunderland ), 'Jimmy' ( Englishman ) Milner, blah, blah blah, never put a foot wrong whereas the crowd villains are just total shite nomatter what and can never do anything right, or rather do an awful lot right but as soon as they misplace a pass it's 'should never wear the shirt again', a la that guy on GMR on Sunday after the match from Widnes.By the way if he was in Widnes how did he know what happened ? No, what pisses me off is having to listen to idiots roaring disapproval at a very good player every time he puts a foot wrong. There was a young girl and an older guy behind me on sunday who literally spent the whole game shouting 'get off Kolarov'. What sort of support is that ? What I found incredulous was that I thought he did OK, no worse, no better than anyone else. The moment early in the second half he played an abslute peach of a ball into the Wednesday six yard box that was begging for someone to get on the end of it, absolutely every moron shut up for five minutes and not one of them said ewhat a great ball ! What most decent blues find very frustrating is that we have got the greatest squad we have ever had, forget your Bell, lees and Summerbees, yet we have to put up with this every home game. No problem with decent debate and opinion, but this is beyond a joke !

As I said in my opening line I’m not that sad to note down every defensive error Kolarov makes but that one springs to mind purely because a goal resulted from it. Maybe you don’t have an eye for someone being out of position or tracking back (ball watcher maybe!)

Some players are seen as cult heroes by fans like any other club, which Kompany, Zabba, Silva and Aguero tend to get most of the plaudits. Granted they all make mistakes and fully agree Kompany has not had a great season when he has been playing, even Zab has had a few games when he has had a tough time of it.

You make out like people are picking on Kolarov for absolutely no reason whatsoever!? I think everyone is now fully aware we are no longer an average football club and therefore when Kolarov is playing average every week in comparison to everyone else then it tends to get picked up on. I don’t agree with anyone getting absolutely slaughtered from the stands and that would irritate the life out of me listening to it all game.

I’m not trying to change your opinion as it sounds like you’re a big Kolarov fan (fair enough) but if putting one decent ball in the box against Sheffield Wednesday accounts for having an Ok performance then your obviously easily pleased!

Kolarov was dire against Burnley and again against Sheffield Wednesday, it's frustrating to watch because when he's on form he's a solid LB but I've never seen two performances that poor from any of our current side. He seemed to misplace every other pass or try and pass through an opposition player on numerous occasions.

Not to mention the embarrassing attempt at the only piece of 'skill' he's capable of against Wednesday where he tried his trademarked "I can't use my right foot under any circumstances so instead of cutting inside with it I'll try and backheel it with my left". The end result was him kicking it against his standing leg for a throw-in. Far too predictable.

He needs to seriously up his game, otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever to start him over Clichy who's been playing very well lately.

Goldenboy87 said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Goldenboy87 said:
I’m not that sad to note down every single bit of bad defending by Kolarov but it’s not difficult to find. The one incident that sticks out in my mind was the Stoke game where Kolarov (admittedly everyone had a shocker that day) had the opportunity to commit a professional foul on Diouf (I can guarantee Clichy, Zabaleta, Sagna, Kompany and Demichelis would have committed the foul) who was breaking away with only Fernandinho as cover and he just let him run away and score.

The only foundation you need with Kolarov being “lazy” is watching the guy week in and week out. Maybe the fact my seat is close to the touchline and more often than not we are attacking towards the South Stand in the first half so I tend to see how lazy he is. Nothing more frustrating when you see a guy bursting forward to join an attack and then when that breaks down he is just casually jogging back while the players like Milner, Fernando and Fernandinho cover his position more times than they should be.
He rarely wins a 50/50 tackle which again you could not say the same about Zaba, Sagna and Clichy unless he is challenging someone as soft as him.

Unfortunately for Kolarov he is Left Back and not an attacking midfielder so as much as he does have an excellent left foot and does put some superb balls in at times he gets found at defensively far too often!

Is that the Diouf goal that five of our players could have stopped including Joe letting a pea roller through his legs and Fern not slowing down Diouf a fraction. Yes Kolarov should have taken a bookibg but it was not unreasonable for him to think that Fern would have slowed down Diouf enough so it wasn't a split second decision!

The first opportunity was for Kolarov to take the yellow card, it happens every single game near enough, not sure just thinking Fernandinho will sort it is a reasonable argument! My memory usually aint that great but Fernandinho had a yellow card already and if he had committed a foul he would have got a red anyway.

One thing Kolarov is never reluctant to do is go into the referee's notebook. Fern could have got an arm or part of his body in the way a bit without conceding a foul, never mind a booking. Failing that, Joe could have sat on Diouf's shot!

Tim of the Oak said:
Goldenboy87 said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Is that the Diouf goal that five of our players could have stopped including Joe letting a pea roller through his legs and Fern not slowing down Diouf a fraction. Yes Kolarov should have taken a bookibg but it was not unreasonable for him to think that Fern would have slowed down Diouf enough so it wasn't a split second decision!

One thing Kolarov is never reluctant to do is go into the referee's notebook. Fern could have got an arm or part of his body in the way a bit without conceding a foul, never mind a booking. Failing that, Joe could have sat on Diouf's shot!

Well he failed miserably on that occasion!

Kolarov is getting a hard time of it of late. Some going as far as to suggest he's not fit to wear the shirt. I would ask those saying such things to cast their mind back just 12 months, he was one of our most consistant and important pergormers from Christmas last season.

Clichy looked like he'd never played before.

I hear the same arguements time and time again, with absolutely no substance to them. Poor defensively? He was part of the Mancini defence that was very tight. Gave away very little. Mancini and Pellegrini have both constantly picked him.

Yes, he's in a poor run of form, against Burnley he was woeful, as were most against Burnley.

I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it.

This thread was quite when he created several chances against Palace. Whilst keeping their dangerous wingers quiet.

Kolarov is a very useful member of teh squad. He's easy to boo, as is Dzeko. Milner was every bit as poor as Kolarov Sunday first half. Didn't/doon't hear groans when he simply twats it out of play.

Kolarov tries the hardest of balls, he tries to put them on a plate for a one touch finish. This is not an exact science and he can not be expected to this more than 2 or 3 times a game. His passing is very under rated. Yes he can be often out of postition. As can Zaba, but we as a team cope. The full backs are often the widest on the pitch, often furthest from our own goal. It goes without saying that if play breaks down they will be out of postition.

This escapes many, including the moron sitting behind me that thinks shoooot is the anser to everything and Ya Ya is a waste of space.

schfc6 said:
I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it

I shouldn't have even bothered mentioning Stoke as that is getting away from the point I have been trying to make - that was just one incident which if he had done his job then Fernandinho (not sure how he was going to force him wide when it was a one on one situation and Diouf knew he had the legs on him) and Hart wouldn't have even come in to the equation!

Goldenboy87 said:
schfc6 said:
I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it

I shouldn't have even bothered mentioning Stoke as that is getting away from the point I have been trying to make - that was just one incident which if he had done his job then Fernandinho (not sure how he was going to force him wide when it was a one on one situation and Diouf knew he had the legs on him) and Hart wouldn't have even come in to the equation!

You might not know but I would expect a £32 million central midfielder to. Especially one as good as Fern!

schfc6 said:
Kolarov is getting a hard time of it of late. Some going as far as to suggest he's not fit to wear the shirt. I would ask those saying such things to cast their mind back just 12 months, he was one of our most consistant and important pergormers from Christmas last season.

I hear the same arguements time and time again, with absolutely no substance to them. Poor defensively? He was part of the Mancini defence that was very tight. Gave away very little. Mancini and Pellegrini have both constantly picked him.

Yes, he's in a poor run of form, against Burnley he was woeful, as were most against Burnley.

I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone anage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal. Above someone is talking about Stoke, Fernandinho and Hart were both far more to blame. Hart especially. As a last man defender your job is to orce a player wide, especially one so much fatser than you are. Diouf was so wide when he scored I couldn't believe it.

This thread was quite when he created several chances against Palace. Whilst keeping their dangerous wingers quiet.

Kolarov is a very useful member of teh squad. He's easy to boo, as is Dzeko. Milner was every bit as poor as Kolarov Sunday first half. Didn't/doon't hear groans when he simply twats it out of play.

Kolarov tries the hardest of balls, he tries to put them on a plate for a one touch finish. This is not an exact science and he can not be expected to this more than 2 or 3 times a game. His passing is very under rated. Yes he can be often out of postition. As can Zaba, but we as a team cope. The full backs are often the widest on the pitch, often furthest from our own goal. It goes without saying that if play breaks down they will be out of postition.

This escapes many, including the moron sitting behind me that thinks shoooot is the anser to everything and Ya Ya is a waste of space.

I really have to disagree with the bits in bold. Firstly, under Mancini we were a defensive unit starting from the front, you defend as a team not as individuals. Yes we were tight under Mancini, but I'd suggest that this was because of the way we were set up as a team, not because Kolarov is a great defender. Hence the reason why you get certain managers whose teams concede very little regardless of the club they're at or the players they have at their disposal. Much the same as some managers have teams who score loads & concede loads (Twitcher for instance). So for me, your argument doesn't hold water when saying Kolarov is a great defender because he played in a team that didn't concede many. This was Mancini's doing. To prove further, under Hughes we conceded loads, Mancini came in & with the same players we stopped conceding.

I'm still to hear anybody explain which attributes Kolarov has which make him a great defender.

There have been a number of goals which he has been a fault for, but so has Kompany, Zabba, MDM etc, which happens, that's football. However, Kompany, Zabba & MDM are superb defenders as they have the right attributes. Kolarov doesn't, simple as that. Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but seriously, anybody who thinks he's a great DEFENDER has a completely different understanding of football to me.

If somebody.......anybody can tell me why they think he's a great defender, I'd honesty love to hear their reasons & saying because we don't concede many as a team really doesn't wash as you defend as a team in football with the Manager determining how the team defends. What the front players to defensively impacts on the midfield, which impacts on the defence.

I have defended Kolarov many times, I've never really heard anyone manage to highlight any real incident that lead to a goal
Sporting Lisbon in the Europa league springs to mind.

Believe it was their second in the home leg.

Maly Wilson said:
schfc6 said:

I really have to disagree with the bits in bold. Firstly, under Mancini we were a defensive unit starting from the front, you defend as a team not as individuals. Yes we were tight under Mancini, but I'd suggest that this was because of the way we were set up as a team, not because Kolarov is a great defender. Hence the reason why you get certain managers whose teams concede very little regardless of the club they're at or the players they have at their disposal. Much the same as some managers have teams who score loads & concede loads (Twitcher for instance). So for me, your argument doesn't hold water when saying Kolarov is a great defender because he played in a team that didn't concede many. This was Mancini's doing. To prove further, under Hughes we conceded loads, Mancini came in & with the same players we stopped conceding.

I'm still to hear anybody explain which attributes Kolarov has which make him a great defender.

There have been a number of goals which he has been a fault for, but so has Kompany, Zabba, MDM etc, which happens, that's football. However, Kompany, Zabba & MDM are superb defenders as they have the right attributes. Kolarov doesn't, simple as that. Now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but seriously, anybody who thinks he's a great DEFENDER has a completely different understanding of football to me.

If somebody.......anybody can tell me why they think he's a great defender, I'd honesty love to hear their reasons & saying because we don't concede many as a team really doesn't wash as you defend as a team in football with the Manager determining how the team defends. What the front players to defensively impacts on the midfield, which impacts on the defence.

No no no. Where does anyone say he is a great defender ? You and the anti Kolarov brigade are saying he is a shit defender who should never where the shirt again, as we are constantly told.

Some of us are saying he is a good defender and an outstanding attacking option. Therefore an excellent squad player who certainly should be wearing the shirt again !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.